Tt When The Ace Falls (10/20)

Haven't played a lot of NL lately, so I'm posting more than I normally would. This is from the morning game on Bodog. No strong reads on button, but he seems to be on the loose side, at least preflop. Last hand, he bet from the blinds in an unraised pot and folded to my flop raise:Stack informationVillian has $2214 to start the hand, hero comfortably covers.Hero is SB with T :D T :heart:Preflop: 4 folds, Button raises to $80, Hero reraises to $240, 1 fold, Button callsFlop ($500): 3 :club: 3 :D A :spade:Hero bets $300, Button raises to $700, Hero ???

First of all, I like reraising more preflop when it is guaranteed that you will be OOP. That is going to give Villain a huge advantage, so make him pay for it. Second, I like betting ~ $400 at the flop. IMO $300 looks a little weak and his raise could be nothing more than a steal (i.e. he could fold if you pushed). Had you bet $400, his raise would have had to be at least 1k which basically commits his entire stack.

iggy, without better reads, this should be a fold. Villain's already put half of his stack into the pot...I can't see him going anywhere. Being out of position further compounds the problem of continuing.I disagree that we need to bet more than $300. I don't think I'd bet less than that...and $350 would probably be about what I'd normally put in...but I don't see a problem with it.

As for PF, I actually thought he raised to $70. Had I noticed it was $80, I probably would have gone somewhere between $260 and $280.Nobody thinks this flop raise looks weak though? Seems to me like this is either a steal or an ace "testing" to define their hand and see if it's good. I'd expect any hand that plans on going to showdown to smooth-call here.

As for PF, I actually thought he raised to $70. Had I noticed it was $80, I probably would have gone somewhere between $260 and $280.Nobody thinks this flop raise looks weak though? Seems to me like this is either a steal or an ace "testing" to define their hand and see if it's good. I'd expect any hand that plans on going to showdown to smooth-call here.
Oh, I certainly don't disagree that it could be a weak raise. The problem is that the stacks aren't really deep enough to test the "testing" theory. This isn't one of your crazy PLO super-stack games. =) If he's got an ace, I can't imagine him folding. If he's got a good draw, he also won't fold.

I kinda thought the small raise was in response to the shallow stacks, trying to give himself room to get away. Villian's still got ~$1300 behind after raising, so I don't think a raise/fold line with an ace is ridiculous. I mean I'd never take it, but I could see someone else doing so.

Results:Kind of as suggested, I came over the top all-in here because I couldn't imagine him raising the flop unless he was stealing or wanted to fold to a reraise. Villian folded. He said "AA or AK?" in the chat afterward, but it's hard to say if he really folded an ace or was just trying to save face on a steal. From the time he took thinking about it though, a weak ace would be my best guess.