Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Pens have now won the Art Ross 15 out of the last 26 seasons. The crazy part is that it could easily have been more. We know we're lucky getting to watch some ridiculous talent come through here but I'd trade them all (ok not all of them, but some) for a couple more cups.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Not the greatest game but it's a win. Hopefully MAF can build off of this one. Rough start for him but I don't think it's fair to blame him. He was left out to dry quite a bit.

Either way 1/16.

tumblr_n3xjqxFnZi1rbvja1o3_r1_400.gif

Rough start for MAF? What are you talking about?

I thought the Penguins played pretty well. Columbus came to play as well. I can't believe how good Jenner has gotten. I never expected him to be a first line winger at any point in his career, and he was dominating physically out there.

You knew Dubinsky was going to be a pain in the ass. I think the Pens did a decent job of staying away from that garbage. They could be better at that.

I didn't say the rough start was MAF's fault but I don't think any goalie that's under the microscope wants to give up two goals in the first period. He made some big saves throughout and overall a win is a win.

The other good news is I'm not sure how much better the Blue Jackets can play but I know the ceiling is a lot higher for the Pens. Bob Rossi can play better for them (Niskanen and Sutter goals were a little weak) and that would be a huge difference.

Yeah Dubinisky is trash. Nice slew foot in the mix there,

dubcros.gif

These two have history and Crosby isn't completely innocent either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tpS_5uAzFE

I'll preface this by saying I know they've only lost 1 playoff game but...

I don't think Niskanen will be alone out the door. I don't see anyone as "lock must sign" from our list of upcoming UFAs. Nisky is the closest but without some trades I don't know how they fit him under the cap. HCDB should certainly be on the hot seat. Having the talent he has and 5 years of failure isn't going to cut it. I like the guy and he certainly would a sought after coach but he might have passed his expiration date with this team. They really need someone to come in here and whip this team into shape. I had hoped that they could hit the button to switch into playoff mode but it just appears that they rely on their superior talent and when that doesn't work the effort just isn't their to overcome it.

I really hope I'm wrong but they haven't come to playing to their potential all season. Even factoring in the injuries.

If you can explain to me why I should feel good about this team I'd love to hear it.

All I can think of was that MAF was their best player in game 2 and it still wasn't enough to win it. 1 for 8 on the power play and letting up a huge short handed goal that got CBJ back in the game. CBJ took a slew of dumb penalties and the Pens couldn't capitalize. Letang takes an even dumber penalty and they tie it.

I don't care how you want to feel about it.

The sentiments of doom and gloom and blowing things up are hilarious.

They lost one game in double OT. It's 2 games into the playoffs.

Sometimes you just aren't the best team in the league. Like, the vast majority of the time. One of 30 teams wins the championship.

Maybe Bylsma should go, I don't like some of the decisions he's made. Blaming him for "5 years of failure" is a joke. It ignores how difficult it is to win a championship. It asserts that being one of the last 4 teams remaining is a failure. I don't necessarily agree with that.

I've learned something about sports. If the only enjoyment you get from it is when your team wins a championship, you are in for decades of being miserable and brokenhearted, because it's basically impossible to win a championship. You need immeasurable amounts of luck and circumstance to win. Sometimes teams go 1/8 on the power play, it's hockey. Sometimes players make dumb mental mistakes, they're human. There's just so much randomness involved in it.

I don't think this team is perfect by any means, but sitting around stressing out about it wouldn't help me in any way.

I just sit back and enjoy watching the games, and I get over quickly it if they lose. You're within your right to come in here and act like the sky is falling on the team, but I'm in my right to say "ok" and think that it probably sucks living in a world full of negativity. As it's been documented, I enjoyed the hell out of it when they won in 2009, but I'm not going to taper that by feeling like shit about it the other 29/30 times when they don't win.

I don't know, I don't want the above to come off as harsh, it's just how I feel, and you prompted it.

• Like 1

I'm not taking it personally and 99% of the time I feel the same way. Over the years though it's just harder and harder to be optimistic about this team. I'm going to root from them until the bitter end but it's hard to watch a team so much potential eventually implode spring after spring. Some of it is bad luck, some of it is just not being as good but a 21-22 record since 09 isn't going to cut it.

At the end of the day I'm not going to convince you to be more realistic and you're not going to convince me to be more optimistic. Hopefully though we'll both be celebrating in June....or on a smaller scale, later tonight.

They lost one game in double OT. It's 2 games into the playoffs.

Sometimes you just aren't the best team in the league. Like, the vast majority of the time. One of 30 teams wins the championship.

I've learned something about sports. If the only enjoyment you get from it is when your team wins a championship, you are in for decades of being miserable and brokenhearted, because it's basically impossible to win a championship. You need immeasurable amounts of luck and circumstance to win. Sometimes teams go 1/8 on the power play, it's hockey. Sometimes players make dumb mental mistakes, they're human. There's just so much randomness involved in it.

I don't think this team is perfect by any means, but sitting around stressing out about it wouldn't help me in any way.

I just sit back and enjoy watching the games, and I get over quickly it if they lose.

I bolded the stuff I agreed with, and I bolded+underlined the stuff I loved. My views have nothing to do with the Pens, I just like Zachs view towards his favourite hockey team. Its beginning to mirror how I feel about my team.....love them, great when they win, but I dont get too upset if they lose, because well....its just sports and its hard to be the best.

EDIT: But I will add, I do sometimes envy how great it is for those of you who live+die with their favourite team, when they do win.

I also don't need a championship to consider the team a success. I also pointed out that I know it's just 2 games in. It's just hard for me to see so much potential being wasted by mismangement, lack of effort, etc.

09/10 - Beat Sens in 6. Lose to Habs in 7. - They lost to Halak who played out of his mind. Can't wait till next year.

10/11 - Lose to TB in 7. - No Crosby or Malkin but still managed a 3-1 lead in the series only to let it slip away. Oh well.

11/12 - Lose to Philly in 6 - Wow that was bad. Wow that was a waste of a year.

12/13 - Beat Isles in 6, Sens in 5, Swept by Bruins. Nice to win a couple series but it's generally not a good thing to switch goalies mid postseason. Bruins dominated them from the get go on the ice and behind the bench.

EDIT: But I will add, I do sometimes envy how great it is for those of you who live+die with their favourite team, when they do win.

I don't know, I don't die with the Penguins, but I sure lived with them in 09. :D

I don't know, I don't die with the Penguins, but I sure lived with them in 09. :D

Impressive if you can care that much when they win, and care so much less when they lose. How you get that high, but never low, is unlike most.

I always recall the movie Fever Pitch when you guys talk about love for your team. I've never been that infatuated by any team in my life, but I know lots of people who are.

I like Zachs post. It's how I've been feeling the last 3 or so years. Luckily my team win a bunch in a shirt span and I'm grateful to witness those cups and even be at the game in DC. 5 years ago I would be in a bad mood after the that game yesterday. I just watched it. Enjoyed the hockey and moved on shortly after. But when your team makes it 23 yrs in a row you learn fast to not expect greatness each year and just sit back and count your lucky stars to be able to enjoy it.

There's been a blown 3-1 lead every game in this series. =/

I was going to tweet when Columbus scored early in the third something like, the good news is that nobody can hold 3-1 leads, but decided not to, and lol they blow it anyways.

Good times. Let's win this one and keep the streak alive that the team blowing that lead loses. :)

Penguins Stage Big 3rd Period Comeback After Reading Mean Tweets About Themselves During Intermission

One of my favorite things on the internet are folks that don't understand satire and there are a few examples in the comments at the bottom of the page. Some of the people might be posting sarcastically but it's more fun to think they're dumb.

10006404_10153165535774041_7970937092363368318_n.jpg

Local News tracked him down. http://www.wtae.com/...34#mid=18867710

Accounts from my parents said I was the same way. I never got to play organized hockey as a kid but can remember running around the house with taped on paper 66's on my shoulders and back while repeating Mike Lange catchphrases. For some reason I also liked former goalie Wendell Young and sent him a letter. He responded (or someone from the pens) with a handwritten letter and his hockey card. I wonder if it's somewhere in my parent's house but I doubt it. This was even before the cup years because I also remember after receiving the letter watching his only shutout in a penguin uniform.

A little research showed it was a 6-0 win over the Rangers on 11/14/1989. http://www.hockey-re...8911140PIT.html

Penguins Stage Big 3rd Period Comeback After Reading Mean Tweets About Themselves During Intermission

One of my favorite things on the internet are folks that don't understand satire and there are a few examples in the comments at the bottom of the page. Some of the people might be posting sarcastically but it's more fun to think they're dumb.

How have people that dumb but learned how to use a keyboard? Holy hell.

How have people that dumb but learned how to use a keyboard? Holy hell.

Apparently their problem is reading comprehension, not typing. Nevertheless it's still cause to weep for the human race.

I agree with most of what Zach say, but its still a topic to discuss why this team isnt running over the opposition..

Fleury gets blamed after letting up a couple of softies but the tying goal last game could be blamed on Crosby...And he made like 40 saves that game...The media makes it seem like Fleury is the ONLY problem and he cant stop a puck in the playoffs..So dumb and put out to create hits on websites..

Crosby and Malkin are superstars that they arent playing like..Maybe its the coach, maybe something is off..But dont count out these Penguins..

Even when playing bad, they can win a series..They should be able to beat Columbus..

Ya that graph is not only boring, its irrelevant to my old school hockey watchings...I look at wwe have a 3-0 lead over the 7th seed and we blew it...

Vertical Axis ?

CF%?

We dont like that stuff....Not trying to undermine the stats...But if you watch the tying goal the Pens gave up, Crosby was pinching during the open net, made a weak effort that caused the rush that cost the goal...No stat explains that ..Several examples of that...

I am NOT undermining the stats again, just doesnt tell the story...

EDIT..Commented on wrong data...:)