Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

That's your opinion and I was pretty clear on mine.Moving on...

Tim FryerSooooooooo Mario Lemieux asked me earlier today if I had a date tonight. He said he was just making small talk. Hmmm...
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Isles punishment handed down apparently. No links but it was announced on NHL Network... https://twitter.com/#!/dchesnokov/statu...643629682401280

Goddard 10 games, Gilles - 9, Martin 4 gams, Islanders $100k fine.
BS that Gilles doesn't get more than 9.Some no name throws Pens announcer Steigerwald under the bus for speaking the truth (listen to
). Steigy isn't my favorite person but to write an article bringing up something that minuscule (compared to the rest of the game)is f'n ridiculous to me.73898_1642704397393_1530344107_31578464_2956721_n_crop_257x257.jpg Ya you're cool.Steigy funny youtubes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsgv9SxtYRk&NR=1

I think Martin's lack of punishment is more egregious. Gilles does not have much of a history, so 9 games is quite a bit. But Dave's (?) point above about Martin's being a Bertuzzi moment if Talbot got hurt is accurate. That punch had nothing to do with hockey. If they'd have given a real suspension despite no injury, they might have sent a message that could have prevented future Bertuzzi's. Instead, so long as you are careful to only punch them in the face, and not drive their head into the ice, all it will cost you is a couple games.

I think Martin's lack of punishment is more egregious. Gilles does not have much of a history, so 9 games is quite a bit. But Dave's (?) point above about Martin's being a Bertuzzi moment if Talbot got hurt is accurate. That punch had nothing to do with hockey. If they'd have given a real suspension despite no injury, they might have sent a message that could have prevented future Bertuzzi's. Instead, so long as you are careful to only punch them in the face, and not drive their head into the ice, all it will cost you is a couple games.
I think the NHL botched this completely. I realize that Godard's suspension is automatic, but if the message you're sending is that of all the crap that happened in that game, Godard's was the worst, then you've gotten it completely wrong.....
The NHL is a disgrace with these suspensions...4 games is a joke..It will be hard to change things mid season as there is a precedence set...Its fairly easy to stop this nonsense..You give a minimum of 20 games for a hit like Gillies, and Martin..You do it again its 40....You start fining teams serious fines instead of a $100K slaps on the wrist..You start taking away draft picks...If the NHL truly wants to get rid of this nonsense they would employ tougher penalties..Someone is going to get killed...
BS that Gilles doesn't get more than 9.
I think it's possible that Gilles only got 9 games so it would be somewhat comparable to Godard's 10 games. Something tells me if Godard didn't jump off the bench and get an automatic 10-game suspension, that Gilles' would have been closer to the 5 game mark.
I think it's possible that Gilles only got 9 games so it would be somewhat comparable to Godard's 10 games. Something tells me if Godard didn't jump off the bench and get an automatic 10-game suspension, that Gilles' would have been closer to the 5 game mark.
You may be right which in my mind makes it even more BS.

I LOVE MARIO LEMIEUXhttp://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=552602

Statement from Pittsburgh Penguins Co-Owner and Hockey Hall of Famer Mario LemieuxSunday, 02.13.2011 / 2:10 PM / NewsPittsburgh Penguins“Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that. “The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed. “We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action. “If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”This is what I was trying to say before, just said way better and by a much more important person than I.Well said Mario, though I wish the rules would have allowed him to state such strong feelings about Cooke before all this crap broke out.

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”This is what I was trying to say before, just said way better and by a much more important person than I.Well said Mario, though I wish the rules would have allowed him to state such strong feelings about Cooke before all this crap broke out.
While his words are true he's also being a large hypocrite. As long as Cooke is on the Penguins he really can't take the moral high ground.
While his words are true he's also being a large hypocrite. As long as Cooke is on the Penguins he really can't take the moral high ground.
I agree Cooke is a dirty player, but after one of his dirty hits he has never punched someone in the face after and then taunted them as they were helped off the ice. Both Islander attacks sicked me as much as the Bertuzzi incident.
If you actually want to decide that the messenger is the issue, than I ask you to actually read his words, and tell me what his actual argument is.IMO, Mario says the league had a chance to make a statement and didnt. They need to protect players, and they didnt. Your gonna have to tell me where he says that they should not have punished Penguin players at all, either in this game, or before.
If you actually want to decide that the messenger is the issue, than I ask you to actually read his words, and tell me what his actual argument is.IMO, Mario says the league had a chance to make a statement and didnt. They need to protect players, and they didnt. Your gonna have to tell me where he says that they should not have punished Penguin players at all, either in this game, or before.
That's incomplete. He says it is a travesty and he questions his involvement in the league if the league does not severely condone it. And yet every day he condones the biggest travesty in the league.
That's incomplete. He says it is a travesty and he questions his involvement in the league if the league does not severely condone it. And yet every day he condones the biggest travesty in the league.
Again, both of the Islander attacks were worse than anything Cooke has done. Cooke's hits are dirty, cheap and dangerous but they are still hits, which is an actual hockey play.
Again, both of the Islander attacks were worse than anything Cooke has done. Cooke's hits are dirty, cheap and dangerous but they are still hits, which is an actual hockey play.
I don't disagree, but they aren't far off. Calling Cooke's hits a hockey play is definitely generous. But I've never seen him do anything as bad as those guys did.

Don't quite see how you can put words into Mario's mouth. He didn't name any names but just made a general statement about the league. No one can truly say that he condones the actions of Cooke.

I don't disagree, but they aren't far off.
I cant even begin to figure out how you see that there isnt a huge difference between Cooke's actions and whatever it was Gillies+Martin+Haley do.Cooke plays a tough game, and has games where he makes a very dirty play. We can both agree that he does this way too often, and too many times a season he plays without any regard to other players safety.Cooke actually plays hockey most of the time. But all Gillies+Martin did in that game was go right out and attack someone. Not hit the man from behind who was playing the puck, not stick out a knee when someone had the puck.Just answer this question. How often do actions like Cooke's happen in the NHL, and how often to actions like Martins/Gillies' happen? Which do you actually think is more common in an NHL game?
By similar logic, your opinion here is completely invalid since I know you don't even watch hockey.
By similar logic, your opinion here is completely invalid since I know you don't even watch hockey.
Au Contraire, while I don't watch that much hockey in comparison to you I did watch about half the Leaf game last night and about half of the Van-Cal game and in fact have watched more hockey this year than in many years.I think the answer is for the league to punish the teams and Coaches far more for a player's actions. I don't really blame Pittsburgh for using Cooke since he is an effective player when he isn't trying to intentionally injure other players which he has done often enough that to me he's more of a danger to hockey than what a couple random goons did in one game.Personally I think the Islander Coach should have been suspended along with the players and their team fined an amount of money that the owner feels it. Maybe the answer lies in doing things like taking a spot from the number of players a team can dress if a player is suspended or having the club pay a very large fine any time a player is suspended. Or maybe there needs to be some sort of repeat offender penatly where a team is really penalized if one of their players is a repeat offender with the loss of draft picks or large amounts of money. Something has to be in the system to give a team more of an incentive to keep idiots like Cooke in check or make the risk of using somebody like him so great that they decide it's not worth it.
Au Contraire, while I don't watch that much hockey in comparison to you I did watch about half the Leaf game last night and about half of the Van-Cal game and in fact have watched more hockey this year than in many years.I think the answer is for the league to punish the teams and Coaches far more for a player's actions. I don't really blame Pittsburgh for using Cooke since he is an effective player when he isn't trying to intentionally injure other players which he has done often enough that to me he's more of a danger to hockey than what a couple random goons did in one game.
you ever hear of Steve Moore? Most of those saying today that what Martin did on Friday was no big deal never have.how about Eric Tangradi, who got a concussion on Friday, and cant play today.And just because actions dont result in the harm intended, doesnt mean you punish less. Tyutin and Ovechkin are playing today. Does that mean Cooke shouldnt have been suspended?