Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Good comparison, although I would argue that the Pens are closer to being a potential champion... the Raps might still be 2 players away from being able to beat the Western Conference teams...
Hard to say. Hockey requires a lot more players going the same direction to bring home the cup. A mishap on the 3rd or 4th line can be costly. You can get away with playing 8 players in bball. There might be a need for another player or two for the dinos but it may just be a maturity and experience thing. I keep thinking Bosh can't get better but he does. Barnagni has been improving at warp speed. Ford and Calderon have room to grow too. If defense doesn't improve much then adding an Outlaw or Bowen could do the trick.
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

It looks like Michel Therrien has just about run out of patience for his starting goalie. Marc-Andre Fleury gets a minus for his recent porous performances that now have his coach actually going public with his displeasure. Commenting on his outing Monday against the Islanders, Therrien said, "Fleury was not good. This is four games in a row that he's given up way too many goals. He has got to be better than that." ~from TSN.caI wonder if Pittsburgh has any interest in Marty Biron?

It looks like Michel Therrien has just about run out of patience for his starting goalie. Marc-Andre Fleury gets a minus for his recent porous performances that now have his coach actually going public with his displeasure. Commenting on his outing Monday against the Islanders, Therrien said, "Fleury was not good. This is four games in a row that he's given up way too many goals. He has got to be better than that." ~from TSN.caI wonder if Pittsburgh has any interest in Marty Biron?
I didn't see the game but when I asked a buddy who watched it how bad Fleury played he made mention that the defense routinely let him down and it wasn't as much Fleury's fault as perceived. Meh.

I wouldn't necessarily take this as he's fed up with Fleury and ready to make a drastic change. Therrian is like that - he likes kicking players in the *** when he thinks they need it. Anyone catch the sound bytes from last year when he ripped on the defense and said they're trying to become the softest in the league? The defense improved a lot since then. I look at this as more as a motivational tool for Fleury than anything else. He needs to realize that just because his teammates have been routinely scoring 4+ goals, he still has to win games on his own sometimes. Maybe Barasso had been giving him pointers or something.

Fleury offically benched for Florida game. Therrien is way outta line here. He needs to realize that in the new NHL it's the big saves that count and Fleury has been outstanding. He is way tooooooooo emotional and has now brought controversy to a team that was just unbeaten in 16. There is no 14-0-2 streak without him, JS.

Fleury offically benched for Florida game. Therrien is way outta line here. He needs to realize that in the new NHL it's the big saves that count and Fleury has been outstanding. He is way tooooooooo emotional and has now brought controversy to a team that was just unbeaten in 16. There is no 14-0-2 streak without him, JS.
says the guy with the fleury avatar...

I have absolutely zero faith in Thibault. :club: He's adequate, but he can't win a game by himself. I think this is a horrible move...I haven't read it yet, though. I'll take your word for it as I just got home. @%#$!

Dear Lord it was good when I heard this news today. Course...with all those 4 goal bunches Fleury has been giving up, as a Panther fan I'm conflicted. Either way I still think we need some sort of god goaltending from Belfour. Kill me if Jaques Martin decides to give Craig Anderson a "reward" for doing so well in AHL and playing him in net.

Dear Lord it was good when I heard this news today. Course...with all those 4 goal bunches Fleury has been giving up, as a Panther fan I'm conflicted. Either way I still think we need some sort of god goaltending from Belfour. Kill me if Jaques Martin decides to give Craig Anderson a "reward" for doing so well in AHL and playing him in net.
Call the press! We've found him!
Call the press! We've found him!
haha I know, it's a tough gig but I got used to it. That 1996 year and John Vanbiesbrouck really solidified it...Oh which reminds me, I do believe we played a certain Pittsburgh team that year in the playoffs. Oh the glory days have come and gone.
haha I know, it's a tough gig but I got used to it. That 1996 year and John Vanbiesbrouck really solidified it...Oh which reminds me, I do believe we played a certain Pittsburgh team that year in the playoffs. Oh the glory days have come and gone.
Ya I rememberimage_60714.jpgToo bad your team went and got swept by the Av's after beating my pens in 7.

I was at one of the games in that series. A time before that, my buddy and I were watching a game on TV versus Montreal (I think). Shane Corson was getting heckled by a Pens fan, and you know how sometimes you can hear one fan above the rest in a TV broadcast? Clear as day, we heard over the broadcast, "CORSON! YOU P***Y! YOU P***Y, CORSON!" Of course, this was hysterical to us.The same friend went with me to the Florida game. We had great seats - A24, row E, seats 8 and 9. Now those seats are smack dab in the blue seat section. At the time, we were 3 rows behind the penalty box, dead center of the rink. If the red line extended into the crowd, it would split our seats. We got there pretty early, so the place wasn't even close to being full yet. We decided we were close enough to heckle, so we got out our program and looked for a good name to yell. We thought about Mellanby, but finally decided on Brian Skrudland since it was just fun to say. The Panthers were skating around the half-rink, and when they skated along the red line, they were coming straight at us. We waited till we saw him coming, stood up, and yelled, "SKRUDLAND!" He looked up at us. "YOU P***Y! YOU P***Y, SKRUDLAND!" He got a disgusted expression on his face, and kept on going. Later in the game, I believe he got a game misconduct and tossed out for being a little ball of hate that game. My friend swears it was the first period, even. I maintain to this day that we had a lot to do with that.

Crosby is one of the best I've ever seen at chasing down loose pucks. He really does remind me of a much more offensively talented version of John Tonelli.

Crosby is one of the best I've ever seen at chasing down loose pucks. He really does remind me of a much more offensively talented version of John Tonelli.
I didn't see any of the game tonight, heard OT on the radio on my way home and just saw the OT winner replay.Dale, these are the things that amaze me the most about him. Yea, the passes and moves, etc. are great, but the % of time he comes out with the puck and how effortless he makes it look sometimes is insane.Colby win it with a nice clear (and looked lucky like it caught something on the board to slow it down) from Whitney. Off to TB.
I can't imagine what a healthy Crosby will look like in another 5 years. This kid is the shiit.

Well the Pens had their first bad game in more than a month and a half. (5-1 Loss to TB) Lets hope they got that our of their systems and will be ready to play the Devils on Tuesday.

Penguins try to deal for veteran wingerMonday, February 26, 2007By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe Penguins are trying to finalize a deal to acquire winger Gary Roberts from Florida.It is not known what the Panthers are seeking in return, and Roberts, 40, would have to waive a no-trade clause for the deal to go through.Roberts has said repeatedly that he would prefer to end up with a team near Toronto, where he has a daughter in school, and that he would like to get a one-year contract extension in return for accepting a trade.He has 13 goals and 16 assists in 50 games with the Panthers this season.

Penguins try to deal for veteran wingerMonday, February 26, 2007By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe Penguins are trying to finalize a deal to acquire winger Gary Roberts from Florida.It is not known what the Panthers are seeking in return, and Roberts, 40, would have to waive a no-trade clause for the deal to go through.Roberts has said repeatedly that he would prefer to end up with a team near Toronto, where he has a daughter in school, and that he would like to get a one-year contract extension in return for accepting a trade.He has 13 goals and 16 assists in 50 games with the Panthers this season.
I don't know much about him. What do you hockey guys think about him. He wouldn't really be a rent-a-player if he wants the contract extension. At 40 is he worth it and how much $$$ do you think he'd want?
I don't know much about him. What do you hockey guys think about him. He wouldn't really be a rent-a-player if he wants the contract extension. At 40 is he worth it and how much $$$ do you think he'd want?
From what I understand, unless Roberts gets a new multi year deal done as a sign and trade, he will not waive his no trade. My personal opinion is he'd be death to the young guys on the Pens. He's the type of guy that expects everyone in the dressing room to do things his way.....
From what I understand, unless Roberts gets a new multi year deal done as a sign and trade, he will not waive his no trade. My personal opinion is he'd be death to the young guys on the Pens. He's the type of guy that expects everyone in the dressing room to do things his way.....
After doing some research I doubt he'd come cheap. I'd much rather see the pens go out and get a solid D. I don't know if it's possible but Brent Sopel would be a decent addition to the blue line.
Guess it's a fine line between leadership and dilhole.
After doing some research I doubt he'd come cheap. I'd much rather see the pens go out and get a solid D. I don't know if it's possible but Brent Sopel would be a decent addition to the blue line.
Sopel is actually on the market, and may be a very nice addition to the Pens.. Jay McKee is apparently available too. Souray is a tough deal for anyone in the Eastern Conference because he will definately sign with a West Coast team next year, making him a pure rental.