Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Obviously they saw what we were doing in the FCHL/AHL, and copied it.

All of us smart GM's protect our picks, right Arp? :)
  • Like 1
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Think of the trade this way.

The Leafs are getting either a late 1st round pick or 2 second round picks because they don't have to send back a 2nd rounder if they aren't getting the 1st and Pitts 2nd rounder will be in the top half of the round since they aren't a playoff team under that scenario.

What is worth more for example. Pick number 20 or getting picks 40 and 50 ?

Think of the trade this way.

The Leafs are getting either a late 1st round pick or 2 second round picks because they don't have to send back a 2nd rounder if they aren't getting the 1st and Pitts 2nd rounder will be in the top half of the round since they aren't a playoff team under that scenario.

What is worth more for example. Pick number 20 or getting picks 40 and 50 ?

It would just be a LOT more fun, if the pick wasnt protected and the unfathomable happened and Pitts missed the playoffs.

Obviously the Leafs can't trade away picks when they don't know which ones they'll own, but can they trade away their rights in this deal? Probably, eh?

Obviously the Leafs can't trade away picks when they don't know which ones they'll own, but can they trade away their rights in this deal? Probably, eh?

This is interesting..On the flip side are the Penguins TODAY allowed to trade either the 2016 or 2017 first rounder that they maybe giving the Leafs?

Pittsburgh can't make that trade because if they make the playoffs their 1st round pick is Toronto's. They have to keep that pick available.

Just like the Leafs can't trade their 2nd rounder that may end up being Pittsburgh's.

Pittsburgh can't make that trade because if they make the playoffs their 1st round pick is Toronto's. They have to keep that pick available.

Just like the Leafs can't trade their 2nd rounder that may end up being Pittsburgh's.

So then they cant trade their 2017 pick either because if they miss the Playoffs that pick is ours(if they make the playoffs next year)

This would also mean they cant sign an offer sheet on any player.

While conditions like this are nice to protect against giving up a high 1st rounder they also limit a teams ability to trade picks.

While conditions like this are nice to protect against giving up a high 1st rounder they also limit a teams ability to trade picks.

Thats the downside...But I guess thats why the GMs get paid the big bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pens got a bunch better today. Forwards are looking good. There will be some battlea for the 4th line, which is nice.

Fehr is out until Nov or Dec, apparently, as well.

Depth Chart:

F - Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Perron, Kunitz, Bonino, Dupuis, Fehr, Bennett, Plotnikov, Wilson...

D - Letang, Maatta, Pouliot, Cole, Lovejoy, Scuderi, Dumoulin

G - Fleury, Zatkoff

4th line a question, need another body or two in the mix. Defense isn't the best. Ideal scenario is they find a way to dump Scuderi and sign Franson. There are some decent depth D not listed here (Erixon, Olesky...), but the top 4 is lacking.

It's kind of absurd that Kessel is the 3rd best forward on the team, and probably 4th best player overall.

I don't know, I think its kind of a draw for third between him+the Pens best D man.

(former Carolina Hurricane draft pick Brian Dumoulin of course)

Hmm. Matt Cullen is still around.

Well, I guess he was trying to decide between being a 3rd/4th liner playing 13min a game for the Pens and battling for a Cup, or being signed by the Canes, playing 19min a game as the first line LW with E.Staal....until they trade him to Pitts on March 3rd for a 3rd rounder, after which he battles for a Cup with the Pens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crosby on Kessel: “When I think of Phil, that speed and that quickness are the first things I think about. That’s exciting for me to get a chance to play with a guy like that. If I’m with him,

I know he’ll get in on the forecheck

Does Phil do that?

I guess he could if that's his role on the line. That kind of stuff really depends on line dynamics, and how breakouts happen, etc. F1 is always the guy who gets in on the forecheck, so if that happens to be Kessel, I think what Crosby is saying is that his speed will force quick plays, sometimes resulting in turnovers, That doesn't necessarily imply physical play, though it helps.

However, you don't expect a line like Crosby-Kessel-anybody to be dumping the puck in all that often, anyways.