Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Is there something in the water in Pittsburgh? Olli Maatta has a tumor in his neck that requires surgery to remove.

considering the city's industrial history that wouldn't be surprising

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

I just want to say that the change between this year and last year is remarkable. I'm not talking stats, corsi, fenwick, or chances to win the Cup, but overall enjoyability. This team, this year? They are just so much more fun to watch. Towards the last part of last season...not so much. I just want to ride it out as long as it lasts.

Really looking forward to next weeks Pens/Rangers.

My guess is that the Pens will have some revenge on there minds. It will also be a good barometer on the Rangers since Pittsburgh is playing so well

Bland indifference to Fleury deal.

I dont think its a good idea to allocate that much to a goalie when you have Crosby+Malkin+Letang on your payroll, especially a goalie with the track record of Fleury.

I would have given Greiss a real shot, I think that guy could be the read deal. Or wait it out for Jarry.

Are you saying Greiss has above average starter potential? Curious what that's based on. I haven't seen that much of him.

It looks like a lot of money, but it's about at the median for starting goalies... which matches his skills/stats, I guess.

Like I staid, mostly indifference.

And I think this is the wait it out for Jarry plan.

I have no stats that say Greiss is a top end goalie, but I think the last couple of years he has matured into the type of goalie that could be a starter. I would say he is an "average starter". On Pittsburgh, not sure you need above avg, or can afford it.

He isnt Lundqvist/Price, but he could easily be Niemi/Crawford in my opinion. Thats just off of watching him the last couple of years and thinking he has the capability.

I happen to think there are about 10 great goalies at any given time, and then there are about 30-40 goalies fairly interchangable depending on situation. I wouldn't be that surpised if an AHL gtd got called up, took over the gtd for San Jose, and played better than a Niemi type.

I would usually put Fleury into that top 10, but those playoffs.....cant do it.

I would usually put Fleury into that top 10, but those playoffs.....cant do it.

Huh?

maf-cup.jpg

I'll prefece this by saying I'm a MAF fan. He's going to be the 13th highest cap hit amoungst goalies next year. I don't recall many times that he alone blatently lost a playoff series. His biggest problems occur when he's trying to do too much and he's forced to do that when the defense in front of him isn't performing.

Small sample size to be sure but actually having a defensive system now (as opposed to just Bylsma's "getting to their game") has obviously helped MAF. Time will tell if the contract ends up being a good one but I think it's safe to say a good majority of the teams in the league would be willing to take it.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of pepper or whatever that term is. I just don't think MAF is good at stopping the puck, and in my opinion, as a goalie, that's a skill you have to have. I wouldn't pay a goalie that much money if he is missing the key skill.

• Like 1

I think its a contract you have to sign...He is definetely an above average goalie..But I wouldnt call him elite..

The problem with goalies IMO is the difference between a $5-$6 million cap hit goalie and $2 million cap hit is significantly less than a typical $6 million first line player and a $2 million 3rd liner.

Arp made the point, there are a lot of goalies that are interchangeable...Is Fleury a very good goalie? Most definetely..

Is he Price , Rask, Quick? I am not sure most people would put him in that category..

Also the whole playoff thing is all overblown...He hasnt had great playoffs recently, but thats not all on the goalie...Every bad goal is magnified 100 times..If Rask or Quick give up a bad goal, nobody talks about it.

Huh?

I'll prefece this by saying I'm a MAF fan. He's going to be the 13th highest cap hit amoungst goalies next year. I don't recall many times that he alone blatently lost a playoff series. His biggest problems occur when he's trying to do too much and he's forced to do that when the defense in front of him isn't performing.

Small sample size to be sure but actually having a defensive system now (as opposed to just Bylsma's "getting to their game") has obviously helped MAF. Time will tell if the contract ends up being a good one but I think it's safe to say a good majority of the teams in the league would be willing to take it.

1. Its impossible for me to ever argue that 1 player blatantly lost a team a whole series. Of course he didn't do that, Im not sure anyone has ever done that in the history of hockey. I think though, its fair to say, since winning the Cup, he has been much worse than average as a playoff goalie.

2. I also would not argue that Fleury is awful and that his "poor play" or stats in the playoffs is not just a by product of the team. I dont know, but if it has something to do with Bylsma's system, then what system were they using the last couple of regular seasons when Fleury was pretty good? Did the system open up in the playoffs?

3. This is the key point. You say "most teams would gladly take him at that contract". Yes, you may be right. And if you see my post, you will see I said I dont think its a good contract for a team LIKE PITTSBURGH. They have a lot of money tied up in other positions. If it was me, I would look to use the Fleury money on getting better depth at fwd+def, and go with a more unproven gtd. And that has a lot to do with my opinion that at any time, you can get good gtd for cheap. You just have to have the right goalie, and the rigth system. Next thing you know, you got Elliott/Bishop/Kuepmfer/Andersen making only 3million, instead of paying a 30+ yr old gtd whose skills are eroding 6million.

Listen, you guys are the Pens experts, not me. And I have nothing against MAF. If you guys are ok going into the playoffs with him, more power to you. I wouldnt personally want it if I was a Pens fan, or at least, I would have waited til after the playoffs.

The one thing I do know.....Rutherford is really loyal to his players, and he tends to overpay for the guys he likes. It ends up costing his teams. Mark my words, you will wish someday soon he wasn't so open with the chequebook.

• Like 2

this is coming from the most pro-goalie person possible.

I think there are about 3 or 4 goalies in the league that I would sign for a long term contract (4+ years), unless somebody was taking a discount on market value, which of course nobody wants to do.

With that said, I don't love, or hate the Fleury contract. 5.75 isn't that much. The cap is going up every year, and you pretty much have to expect to spend about 6-7 million on your 2 goalies. 4 years is 1 year longer than I would have gone, but it's not too bad.

Fleury has proven to be a very consistent slightly above league average goaltender in the regular season in his career. The playoff numbers are troubling but I'll defer to the bigger sample size of his overall career numbers. He's probably worth about 4-4.5 million in my books, but I understand the pens inclination to get that position locked up at a semi-reasonable price. Not many goalies in the league have enough of a sample size to know their true save percentage, so it's ncie to know you have a guy like Fleury or Ryan Miller who will consistently give you a .915 or so.

• Like 1

I think there's something else to consider too, which is that every single person seems to just love Fleury as a person and teammate.

Fleury's post season struggles aren't made up, but I find it difficult to put the blame of any single series loss squarely on him. The Pens have turned into a different team in the playoffs the last few seasons.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh the Penguins/Sabres game is on ****ing FX tonight... which I don't get on Bell. This is the only downside so far of the new Rogers deal... they constantly take Pens games and make them national, and the odd time, it ends up on FX.

Does anyone want to invite me over to watch FX at their Rogers home?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there something in the water in Pittsburgh? Olli Maatta has a tumor in his neck that requires surgery to remove.

Seriously. What the ****. Letang's stroke, Maatta's tumor, Vokoun's clots, and now Dupuis' clots...

Seriously. What the ****. Letang's stroke, Maatta's tumor, Vokoun's clots, and now Dupuis' clots...

It's great to see all of them coming back. Not Vokoun but the rest.

Let's not forget the greatest player in Pittsburgh and the owner fought and best a serious condition.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...