Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

I was out of town this weekend so excuse me for repeating a bit...

Now that Neal is gone the rumors start about how bad he was for that locker room. If the rumors aren't enough look at the suspensions. Can't deny that he was productive though. Hopefully Hornqvist can raise his game a bit playing with Crosby/Malkin. Pens are also supposedly interested in Kulemin as he and Malkin have a bromance.

I guess I could live with top 6 something like this...

Bennett - Crosby - Kunitz

Hornqvist - Malkin - Kulemin

The bottom 6 certainly needs work though. Dupius hopefully can regain form and help out. Adams is hanging on but blah. Sutter is a must sign RFA imo. I think Megna might benefit from a new coaching staff. Spaling is another RFA would I know nothing about.

They apparently offered Despres a RFA deal and beyond that they either can't (Niskanen) or shouldn't (Orpik) sign their UFAs. Too many prospects are knocking on the door.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Looking like Despres will actually get a real shot to be in the starting group of D-men this year.

I would probably still expect them to go after a d-man in free agency, though.

Orpik is gone, Engelland is gone, Niskanen probably gone.

Sutter and Spaling will get new deals, and then they just need to fill out the bottom 6 ... hopefully about 10x better than last year. I'd be happy with Bennett getting top 6 minutes, and Dupuis on the 3rd line. He's a fringe 2nd liner, typically, but is aging, and coming off a brutal injury. He'd be a good add to the 3rd line.

I'm all for Kulemin signing with the Pens.

Heard Pouliot could be a Pens target. He'd be another wonderful fit on the 3rd line. Pouliot - Sutter - Dupuis could actually have some scoring threat. Sutter has proven time and time again that he's better when he's not playing with scrubs like Tanner Glass on the regular.

Speaking of Glass, lots of dead weight leaving the Pens this off season.

Jokinen and Niskanen are the only ones likely leaving that I'd like to keep.

Fine with that.

I think Kulemin has been in the wrong role here the last few years...I think he can still score if you give him top 6 minutes and PP time..He needs to shoot more, and if he plays with Malkin may re ignite his career...If the Pens are interested its a no brainer for Kulemin to sign there..

Or maybe he signs a one year deal , hoping he has a big year and then hits jackpot next year? I like him and sad to see him leave the Leafs

Yup, I just ranted in the Leafs thread, and forgot to include that point.

Constantly putting players in roles they are ill suited for, and really, just setting them up to fail.

Have to say it was a pretty successful day yesterday. Kulemin seemed like a bigger need than Ehrhoff but we'll see what other moves are still to come.

Dupius - Crosby - Kunitz

Bennett - Malkin - Hornqvist

? - *Sutter - Comeau

Adams - Goc - *Spalling

Martin - *Despres

Letang - Ehrhoff

Bortuzzo - Scuderi

(Maata starts season on IR)

* - This obviously includes the RFAs would I've seen projected to take up around 6 of the 8.3 million in cap space.

It's absolutely crazy how much money went to former Pens yesterday.

Orpik had a well above average career here in Pittsburgh but age seems to be catching up with him quickly. At 33 lets give him 5.5 for 5 years? (sarcasm)

Niskanen really had 1 good year. Maybe he finally got the opportunity he needed but more likely I think he had great timing. Who would have guessed last summer the premiere free agent dman on the market would be Matt F'n Niskanen. 7 x 5.75 wow.

Jokinen I liked as well but the Pens got him off the scrap heap and now he's making 4x4 in Florida. Good for him but I'm glad the pens didn't see the need to bring him back.

Do I really have to explain Derek Engelland? When reporters make the joke that they had to check for a fake account before they retweet Bob Mckenzie that's a pretty good indication that Brian Burke f'd up.

Chris Conner, Tanner Glass, and Joe Vitale also got contracts and I file them under the category of "Thank god they're no longer wearing black and gold." Glass had his moments (mostly just hitting people) but Conner and Vitale are just try hard AHL midgets.

It will be interesting to see how the Penguins (particularly Malkin) adapt to the loss of Neal's shot and the style of Hornquist, who is more of a crease-crasher.

It will be interesting to see how the Penguins (particularly Malkin) adapt to the loss of Neal's shot and the style of Hornquist, who is more of a crease-crasher.

Honestly Malkin is at his best when he has a shoot first mentality. I think it could be good pairing if Hornqvist is there to make room and clean up the trash.

Guess Downie is a good signing. For a million at least. I usually get him mixed up with Daniel Carcillo but if I'd have to choose I'd take Downie.

Downie has a history of suspensions and once was fined for hitting his new captain in 2010

• 4 weeks later...

2 years 2.2 for spaling? Too much? I don't know much about the guy but have heard he would be a nice upgrade at winger for Sutter. Now with 4.2 in space left this still need to sign him. I think Sutter has shown glimpses of what he could be but I'm nervous that arbitration is going to rule based on his potential rather than performance. Maybe they'll avoid that process though.

Sutter is 25 years old and has pretty much plateaud offensively. Not sure how anyone could make a convincing case for paying him for his potential.

Sutter played with some miserable players basically all last season, and was good in the playoffs when bumped to with good wingers.

I don't think he has a particularly high ceiling or anything, but with more favorable usage, he could be 25-25. Don't think it's at all likely, but that'd be where I'd place his peak at this point.

I've been looking more closely at the Neal/Hornquist trade...

I don't understand it at all from Pittsburgh's point of view. I think they made a bad move.

• Like 1

From a straight hockey standpoint that seems to be true but the rumors are that he was just terrible off the ice. Maybe the new contract just got to his head?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't heard the details behind this but apparently it's something other than Crosby's wrist. Not sure if that's good or bad news.

Definitely not what we wanted when guys are trying to learn a new system.

I'm pretty happy with the new 3rds and can only hope they'll soon be joined with a white away jersey and turned into the primary jersey.

Sid2.jpg

Sid1.jpg

Reminds me to much of one of the Islander jerseys

Reminds me to much of one of the Islander jerseys

It shouldn't. It should remind you of the 1990s Pens jerseys, since they're identical.

I like it, but I don't really care all that much. The biggest problem with these jerseys is that I will no longer be able to tell who the idiot fans are that bought Crosby jerseys in this style from before he ever actually wore one.

• Like 1