Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Vancouver, Buffalo and Toronto have fired the GM and retained the coach fairly recently. Maybe it's the newest trend.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Not sure Shero is responsible for one goal in 17. Maybe by not providing a better bottom 6. But that's a cap problem more than anything else.

The argument is the drafting. I could of drafted Sid, Malkin and Fleury and Staal. The critics gave complained about weaker bottom end drafting.

I'm going to hope they aren't trying to emulate those franchises. 0 cups since 1967.

Ya because a decision in 2014 correlates to 1967.

Great read - man, they didn't like that last question about keeping Bylsma from other openings...seems Mario stopped talking after that, while Morehouse started taking over the questions.

*edit* forgot to quote Dev's link, which was what I was referring to

Not sure Shero is responsible for one goal in 17. Maybe by not providing a better bottom 6. But that's a cap problem more than anything else.

The argument is the drafting. I could of drafted Sid, Malkin and Fleury and Staal. The critics gave complained about weaker bottom end drafting.

Could have had Eric Staal instead of Fleury and Toews instead of Staal the younger

It is never the right move to draft a goal 1st overall

Could have had Eric Staal instead of Fleury and Toews instead of Staal the younger

It is never the right move to draft a goal 1st overall

Not going to disagree. But I'm sure 25 other gms do it there. Maybe all

I certainly agree that the players deserve more blame their contracts allow for them to receive.

All but the Jordan Staal pick predated Shero. Obviously his more recent draft classes have yet to full develop but there's certainly a lack of legit prospects at this point.

Also Dejan is typing up an exclusive interview with Ron Burkle and Mario and he's publishing it piece by piece so hit refresh and there may be more. http://blog.triblive...eux-ron-burkle/

Great read - man, they didn't like that last question about keeping Bylsma from other openings...seems Mario stopped talking after that, while Morehouse started taking over the questions.

*edit* forgot to quote Dev's link, which was what I was referring to

Yeah it's pretty interesting. It certainly seems like things got a little heated.

I have to say I've lost some faith in them. They have every right to run their team like a business but to me it seems like keeping Bylsma is more of a PR move then it is a hockey related.

edit...just noticed I hit 8700 posts today. I take everything back. Cup Champs 2015!

"Lemieux: The grit, the character. Even on the special teams, you’ve got to have some guys in the playoffs with grit, with character, as well as speed.

DK: Now, you always had that around you, that grit and character. No matter who you had to tick off, you made sure you had it."

Jason York had a decent point this morning -- there's no Patrick Kane to Crosby's Captain Serious. The one year that the won the Cup, Billy Guerin was there in that role to be the "court jester" keeping everyone light and not clutching their sticks under the pressure. They keep on talking about grit and character but was that really something missing from the Penguins?

Other than Tanner Glass, which is a weak argument at best, I can't think of any players that really fit the description. Orpik was hurt, so he's out. Adams? I mean, we can bring up a few plugs that have no offensive skill and can hit people, but there's no Talbot or Guerin in the mix that can bring grit, some skill, and set a tone for other players to rally around.

not sure what's worse, pens not firing bylsma or the local media nerds saying they did.

Ya exactly. Bobby Mac is usually careful on what he reports. He was given wrong info

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 16m

Agent Pat Brisson has decided to remain in the agent business and will not be pursuing the PIT GM job.

Thank god.

Also, Letang broke his foot in game 6, hand in game 7. Rough.

Wow. Brutal

from John Steigerwald of the Indiana Gazette,

Maybe Sidney Crosby should just quit.

It’s not like it hasn’t happened before. He shared a home with the former Best Player in the World, who quit when he was 31 years old.

Yep. That’s what Mario Lemieux did after the 1996-97 season, and when he did it, everybody understood. They knew he was fed up with the stupidity of the NHL. If you were around back then, you remember that Lemieux made it known that he was going to retire after that season, so it wasn’t a shock when the guy who led the league in scoring with 50 goals and 72 assists decided to pack it in.

Think about that for a second. This wasn’t a broken-down player who was struggling to play up to the ridiculous standard that he had set for himself. This was a 50-goal scorer saying he’d had enough with the NHL’s refusal to enforce the rules and was walking away. Not to become a team executive or owner. That would come later. He was headed for the golf course and as far away as he could get from the game he loved.

That just doesn’t happen in sports.

The most talented player ever to pick up a hockey stick just couldn’t deal with the stupidity anymore.

Well, guess what? The stupidity is back. Big-time.

John Steigerwald is the older brother of pens tv announcer paul and is even more of a jackass. It'd be hard to imagine Sid walking away from the 92 million he's owed on the rest of his contract. Is it as simple as that?

yes.

Having said that, it is ridiculous the amount of cheap shots that guys can get away with. A CBA that only allows miniscule fines is a joke.

My buddy said it was reported on WPXI that among the list of possible GMs? Pierre Macguire. I threw up a bit in my mouth, imagining that.

I heard this too and can't believe a team is considering him as a GM

Doug MacLean is another one being rumoured...For Washington with the rumoured Gretzky takeover..

Doug MacLean is another one being rumoured...For Washington with the rumoured Gretzky takeover..

MacLean is not too far off from McGuire. I heard the Gretzky stuff too. I so much want this to happen.

Apparently they interviewed Regis yesterday. Yes, that's Pierre's real name.

Please god no. For a team that really seems to value PR this would be a nuclear bomb on top of what is already shaky ground.