Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Pet peeve: anyone who says you can't afford to have Crosby and Malkin on the same team.

Even in a cap world, youd be crazy to break them up for cap reasons.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Pet peeve: anyone who says you can't afford to have Crosby and Malkin on the same team.

Superstars are a bargain

It's paying 2nd and 3rd tier players big money that is the killer

Superstars are a bargain

I think paying top of the league salary for avg goaltending is a killer.

Also, as Zach pointed out, after this year there will be lots of room to add players, as cap starts going up, and superstars are still signed.

It's still going to be tight next year because Letang's new deal kicks in. He has not progressed how I hoped... Though partially due to bad injury/stroke luck, I think.

Superstars are a bargain

Cough*clarkson*cough

It's still going to be tight next year because Letang's new deal kicks in. He has not progressed how I hoped... Though partially due to bad injury/stroke luck, I think.

guess the cap for next year for Pit will depend on how badly they need to resign Nisk+Orpik, and for how much.

Looks to me like a Cup contender if they can just find a cheap 3rd line from the UFA pile, exp guys who dont sign with other teams and end up taking 1mill in August.

It's not that you can't afford them. When you are paying $25 mill in cap to Crosby, Malkin, Letang till eternity. It limits your options.

Other teams have same issues. Have to manage the bottom end with bargains like Mason Raymond.

Limit the Clarkson deals , and find more Raymond's.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 1m

PIT will announce this morning GM Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma have been fired. #TSN

Wow. Waiting for the replacements before I judge.

I think a change is needed..You arent trading away any of your players....Not the main guys anyways, so the only change that can happen is with coach and management..

Is Mario calling the shots? There isnt a Brian Burke, Brendan Shanahan, Trevor Linden role in Pittsburgh right?

Shero's already rumored for the opening in DC. Who know's where they'll go. Do they hire from within with current assistant GM Jason Botterill (mentioned in a lot of GM openings) and AHL Pens coach John Hynes?

I'm not sure if that's the route to go or if a fresh viewpoint might be the beneficial.

I'm just dumbfounded at how this went down. What possible reason could they have for doing it this way?

They like the coaching, but not the players he's been provided with?

This has to be a pretty rare occurrence. Firing the GM and possibly retaining the coach. I have no evidence to back this up but I would have to guess the opposite is more likely to happen.

Saw this resurrected from a previous playoff win staving off elimination. Seemed appropriate today.

http://youtu.be/xAaMWcCdDW4

Also Dejan is typing up an exclusive interview with Ron Burkle and Mario and he's publishing it piece by piece so hit refresh and there may be more. http://blog.triblive...eux-ron-burkle/

This has to be a pretty rare occurrence. Firing the GM and possibly retaining the coach. I have no evidence to back this up but I would have to guess the opposite is more likely to happen.

Ya, usually the GM is allowed to go through a few coaches before he is turfed. Happens now and then but the coach is on a very short leash because he isn't the GM's "guy".

From what I heard, Burkle wanted Shero gone but Mario wasn't keen on the idea. I think Bylsma should have just gotten the axe to let him pursue whatever, and to clear up any confusion. If he's going to be gone anyhow, why wait? There was a theory out there that maybe this was so that people don't claim that the stars got the coach fired, but who knows.