Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

No one is tearing up the playoffs..Most series are going long...All the series in this round are going minimum 6...So you cant dominate like the old days before the cap...

By employing two superstars its a fact that your bottom end players have to be weaker..If those superstars have off nights, then you are in trouble usually..

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Maybe I'm just a bad fan.

Its hard not to expect more when they have Crosby+Malkin. But what Serge said is very accurate IMO. its hard to be a dynasty in a cap world.

Add in the fact that Fleury has been shaky the last few years (Im not counting this one) and you have trouble winning the Cup, no matter how on Crosby/Malkin may have been.

Take solace in the fact that every year, you are a Cup contender thanks to those 2.

• Like 1

A big issue with this season is the rollback, too. The cap came down a bit because of the last lockout, right? We knew going in that it would be a tight year. Next year when the cap goes up 5 or 6 million or whatever, there will be a bit more room to fill out the bottom six, etc.

this is in response to Dev's post(s),

I don't have a problem with you ripping your own team, but maybe you should wait until they are actually eliminated to hit the panic button? I don't actually watch many penguins games, so maybe you are right. Maybe Crosby is to blame (I doubt it). Maybe this team does have a leadership problem, maybe changes need to be made. I doubt it, but honestly, I have no idea. However, from a Leafs fans point of view, it just strikes me as ridiculous to be outraged at the state of your team. Only 1 team wins the championship each year. Its friggen hard to do. The Penguins have been one of the top5 most successful teams in the NHL over the last few years, Championship or not. If they lose tomorrow, they will still be a top 5 contender for the cup next year, and probably again the year after that. It's kind of crazy to me that anybody should be pointing fingers at anyone.

I dont want this to be bash the Penguins post..But the argument could be that since the Stanley Cup winning season, the Penguins have underperformed based on their regular season record and based on the roster that they employ...

I dont want this to be bash the Penguins post..But the argument could be that since the Stanley Cup winning season, the Penguins have underperformed based on their regular season record and based on the roster that they employ...

have they had above average playoff goaltending in any of the seasons since the Cup ?

have they had above average playoff goaltending in any of the seasons since the Cup ?

I think most would agree, its been much below average...Except this year other than a few spotty goals and bad moments..Its been good..

Didnt watch the whole game last night, but saw the third goal..Fleury needs to smother that puck and now allowed that goal in...Adrian's coach works on that play all the time, as those goals are killers...

You might want to say "based on having the stars they have" instead of "based on the roster they employ". Your the one arguing they lose because the cap makes their bottom six awful and their roster is not deep enough. cant have it both ways.

Dave makes a great point....you might want to wait until they actually lose to hit the 'my god they suck' button. :)

this is in response to Dev's post(s),

I don't have a problem with you ripping your own team, but maybe you should wait until they are actually eliminated to hit the panic button? I don't actually watch many penguins games, so maybe you are right. Maybe Crosby is to blame (I doubt it). Maybe this team does have a leadership problem, maybe changes need to be made. I doubt it, but honestly, I have no idea. However, from a Leafs fans point of view, it just strikes me as ridiculous to be outraged at the state of your team. Only 1 team wins the championship each year. Its friggen hard to do. The Penguins have been one of the top5 most successful teams in the NHL over the last few years, Championship or not. If they lose tomorrow, they will still be a top 5 contender for the cup next year, and probably again the year after that. It's kind of crazy to me that anybody should be pointing fingers at anyone.

I'm not hitting any panic button yet but just sharing my viewpoint that it would be a huge disappointment for them to lose the series after being up 3-1. Even if the games this weekend were competitive I wouldn't feel as strongly about this. The Rangers season was on life support after game 4 and they rose to a level that the Pens haven't been close to matching. The Pens continue to say the right things ("we know the 4th win is the hardest to get " and other cliches) but few are practicing what they preach.

I'd like to think I have realistic expectations for my teams and in my view they've come up woefully short in the past 5 years. Each year it been getting harder and harder to defend them and it's hard to imagine that big changes aren't coming if the season ends tomorrow.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm gonna hafta agree with ya. As Arp said yes the "roster they employ" can be interpreted different ways but in my view their depth hasn't been their biggest issue. Brandon Sutter could be their MVP of the playoffs at this point.

You might want to say "based on having the stars they have" instead of "based on the roster they employ". Your the one arguing they lose because the cap makes their bottom six awful and their roster is not deep enough. cant have it both ways.

Dave makes a great point....you might want to wait until they actually lose to hit the 'my god they suck' button. :)

They naturally are a great team..And even if they lose tomorrow , they had a great year..But below expectations...And the comparisons are there with the Hawks...And Crosby/Malkin vs Toews/Kane...Those guys just continue to win the big games and score the big goals when it counts..

They naturally are a great team..And even if they lose tomorrow , they had a great year..But below expectations...And the comparisons are there with the Hawks...And Crosby/Malkin vs Toews/Kane...Those guys just continue to win the big games and score the big goals when it counts..

What were the expectations?

What were the expectations for the Hawks?

What were the expectations for the Bruins?

Are they all win the Cup or you didn't realize what we expected of you?

What were the expectations?

What were the expectations for the Hawks?

What were the expectations for the Bruins?

Are they all win the Cup or you didn't realize what we expected of you?

I dont think its a far fetched assertion that the Hawks and Bruins have done much better in the playoffs than the Penguins have in the last 4-5 years

Expectations aren't as black and white it sounds like you're trying to make it. My negativity isn't swelling due to one season's worth of results but rather the last 5 years combined.

I dont think its a far fetched assertion that the Hawks and Bruins have done much better in the playoffs than the Penguins have in the last 4-5 years

Ya, not what I asked you.

If the Pens win the Cup, the Hawks+Bruins didnt meet expectations.

If the Hawks win the Cup, Pens+Bruins didnt meet expectations.

Not everyone can win every year. If your expectation is Cup or bust for every team you think should be great, you have a lot of unfair criticisms IMO.

Re: Pens:

I expected them to be awful this year, since like you said, they have no bottom 6. Now, they beat my expectations, so they are awesome, right?

• Like 2

This has the feel of an overblown sports radio talk show

First, noone has lost anything yet. Game 7 is tomorrow

Second, give the NYR some credit. They have played real well the last 2 games and deserve to be in a game 7.

Third, if not for Lundqvist making some really good saves especially against the 2 breakaways, we might not be talking about a game 7 so give some credit there also

Fourth, the Rangers depth might be a factor. Certainly there 3rd and fourth lines are better than the Pens

Fifth, the absence of Orpik is a factor

My gut says game 7 is 55/45 Pens. I will take it of course

• Like 2

Ya, not what I asked you.

Not everyone can win every year. If your expectation is Cup or bust for every team you think should be great, you have a lot of unfair criticisms IMO.

Re: Pens:

I expected them to be awful this year, since like you said, they have no bottom 6. Now, they beat my expectations, so they are awesome, right?

no you arent getting my point..Its not only on one year..Its the past 5 years...With the lineup that they have, and the regular season numbers that they have achieved..The Hawks and the Bruins have been much more succesful..

no you arent getting my point..Its not only on one year..Its the past 5 years...

ok, I was responding to this below, where you seemed to imply that this year will be below expectations........

They naturally are a great team..And even if they lose tomorrow , they had a great year..But below expectations...

Agree to disagree. IMO these just are over simplifying it.

1 cup, 2 finals appearances, 3 conference finals appearances in the last 6 seasons.

You take that all day long no matter how your team looks on paper.

1 cup, 2 finals appearances, 3 conference finals appearances in the last 6 seasons.

You take that all day long no matter how your team looks on paper.

very true and impressive..Then the spin doctor in the media, can say...

no finals appearances and ONLY 4 series wins in the last 5 years since the CUP..Ottawa twice, Islanders and now Columbus..Not powerhouses..

Its laughable its ONLY 4 because thats a lot for a lot of franchises..

Also in those 5 years the Pens had 101,106,108, 72(prorates 123) and 109...

Very impressive regular seasons..

Hey the Pens probably win tomorrow and maybe beat Boston ..who knows

This has the feel of an overblown sports radio talk show

First, noone has lost anything yet. Game 7 is tomorrow

Second, give the NYR some credit. They have played real well the last 2 games and deserve to be in a game 7.

Third, if not for Lundqvist making some really good saves especially against the 2 breakaways, we might not be talking about a game 7 so give some credit there also

Fourth, the Rangers depth might be a factor. Certainly there 3rd and fourth lines are better than the Pens

Fifth, the absence of Orpik is a factor

My gut says game 7 is 55/45 Pens. I will take it of course

John, I've been telling you since early April....Rangers....Cup, its a done deal, just sit back and enjoy.

And if the mood strikes you, place some bets so you can cash in a little too.

So Mario Lemieux wasn't happy with what he saw and visited 87 ( like the number, instead of name?) and had a chat.

Is this a news story?