Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

20 years ago today, the Penguins captured their first Stanley Cup with an 8-0 win in Minnesota.I wish I remembered it.
I remember it.
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Man, and 20 years later, Mark Recchi has a chance to be back in the finals. What a beast.
Makes me wonder what the longest period between first and last Cup win is?
This is a great question.Cant think of any off the top of my head, but 20 years would certainly have to be a record.
This is a great question.Cant think of any off the top of my head, but 20 years would certainly have to be a record.
I think you're forgetting this...t_25483.jpgChelios went 16 years between cupsRecchi still went 15.Guerin went 14.
I wonder. Recchi won with Carolina in 06, so 15 years for him. I thought Guerin may have been more, but he was 95 and 09. No idea who else it could be.edit - go to hell, Dev.
nice pic Dev. gave me a chubby.wow, 5 years ago already. time flies.
Tell me about it 44 years flies by quicker.
Tell me about it 44 years flies by quicker.
I havent watched much hockey these last couple of weeks, both busy and kinda disinterested like you....but did you see highlights CBC was showing last night of what happened 17yrs ago yesterday? It broke my heart seeing Felix+Gilmour losing to Van city in the '94 semis. As much as everyone talks of '93, '94 was worse for me, in that you could just tell the small window was closing. It was tough to watch the highlights even 17yrs later.
I havent watched much hockey these last couple of weeks, both busy and kinda disinterested like you....but did you see highlights CBC was showing last night of what happened 17yrs ago yesterday? It broke my heart seeing Felix+Gilmour losing to Van city in the '94 semis. As much as everyone talks of '93, '94 was worse for me, in that you could just tell the small window was closing. It was tough to watch the highlights even 17yrs later.
Yes I saw that...We all talk about 93 and how we got screwed with Fraser and Gretzky but 94 i really thought we were gonna win.its amazing how a couple of bounces here and there would change the course of history and would kill a lot of 67 jokes.

So this should be a pretty interesting off season for the Pens. Malkin and Crosby recoveries are ongoing. The rumor came out during the playoffs saying that Malkin was closer to a return than Crosby might have turned out to be true. I haven't heard much of anything lately but hope that both are ready to go for the preseason. As far as I know knee injuries like Malkin's really take a couple years to return from so assuming no re-injury (knock on wood) he won't be 100% till till 2012-2013. Having said that hopefully he's healthier than he's been in the past couple of seasons and can return closer to his Art Ross/Conn Smythe form.Crosby is pretty scary at this point for me. The club has understandably been very cautious with this but they also haven't been very forthcoming with updates. (which is their right of course) News came of his "setback" after they were eliminated but just like anything else there were tons of rumors surrounding that. Things like "he had a sinus infection" which brought back the symptoms but had nothing to injury. Assuming Crosby returns and he suffers another concussion...what then? Careers have ended due to this and as much as he might be hated by non pens fans the NHL without Crosby would not be a good thing.Then we get to the upcoming UFA's and RFAs. I'll put them in order of who I'd like to see back.Kennedy (RFA)Jeffery (RFA)Adams Rupp Dupuis TalbotJohnsonAshamConnerGodardComrieKovalev - byeSimon Despres is poised to stick at the NHL level next year after having a great year in the Q. He won defencemen of the year honors leading him team a finals appearance and just won the Memorial Cup yesterday. Either way he looked pretty good in the previous preseason so if he can show improvement there I don't see how we won't be in the NHL next year. The Pens already have 7 NHL defensemen under contract. Martin, Michalek, Orpik, and Letang aren't going anything but I'd be interested to see what Shero does with Lovejoy, Engelland, Niskanen. All have had their moments but I wouldn't be surprised to see Shero try to get some draft picks for them. (especially Niskanen). The Pens are also pretty well stocked with Dmen in the AHL as well.Fluery and Johnson are both signed next year so I wouldn't expect surprises in between the pipes. Injuries may force Thessien or Curry to come up from WBS and I'm ok with that.

Careers have ended on concussions, but if I were you, I would be taking a lot of comfort from Patrice Bergeron right now. Not only has he been very good, but sounds like he recently suffered another minor concussion, and only missed a few days.

There was an excellent special on the Discovery Channel recently about concussions. They talked specifically about the Crosby hit by Steckel and mentioned how the impact was approximately 800lbs. They also talked about how a second concussion (like Hedman's hit on Crosby) can be devastating. They showed the brains of guys who have donated their brains (mostly former football players) and the images showing the damage is extremely disturbing.

Kovalev and Comrie have already been told they won't be re-signed, and Shero told that to the media, as well.I like your order, as well, with a couple small changes:Kennedy (RFA)Jeffery (RFA)AdamsDupuisTalbotRuppI guess I just moved Rupp to the end. I don't care about the rest. Assuming the above are signed, we'll just need a couple bodies to fill out the bottom 6 from free agency or WBS.Defense is pretty set. Despres would need a huge camp, again, to make the team for game 1. As much as I'd love to see him, I think it's more likely he starts the year in the AHL.

Kovalev and Comrie have already been told they won't be re-signed, and Shero told that to the media, as well.I like your order, as well, with a couple small changes:Kennedy (RFA)Jeffery (RFA)AdamsDupuisTalbotRuppI guess I just moved Rupp to the end. I don't care about the rest. Assuming the above are signed, we'll just need a couple bodies to fill out the bottom 6 from free agency or WBS.Defense is pretty set. Despres would need a huge camp, again, to make the team for game 1. As much as I'd love to see him, I think it's more likely he starts the year in the AHL.
Fair enough with Rupp. I don't mind you putting the PK'rs ahead of him. Good article that echo's your opinion on Despres. http://thehockeywriters.com/simon-despres-memorial-cup/ The Pens have no need to rush him. Perhaps he can develop enough in WBS to allow Shero to wheel and deal his dmen to get the winger they always seem to "need" around the trade deadline.
  • 2 weeks later...