Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Yeah, but that isn't what the league wants, they want the goonish repeat offender stuff to stop but not at the expense of castrating the league and alienating fans. I'm very fine with the approach the league took here, it's the same way in the regular justice system...a guy on his 4th DWI is punished differently than a guy on his first and for good reason, you want to send a message in a way that will sink in, and the only way to sink it in with some people is to hit them where it hurts...their pride and their wallet.
You would make a terrific politician. A smart response without ever answering the question.:club:
If a system with more severe punishment for repeat offenders is going to work then there has to be a point where a player has no more chances, thus discouraging everyone from getting closer to that point.
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

If a system with more severe punishment for repeat offenders is going to work then there has to be a point where a player has no more chances, thus discouraging everyone from getting closer to that point.
I would be fine with that as well...if Cooke offends again after this, suspend him for 20 games. Again? 40 games. Again? A season....I don't know how a guy could do something bad enough to warrant a lifetime ban, but I also can't see a guy getting suspended for 40 games and still have a job paying $2.5 million to come back to, eventually the team would have to cut their losses and bury his contract somewhere, move on. I think if a 20 game suspension worked on Steve Downie who has an entire junior career of meathead garbage to his credit, a 20 game will work on Matt Cooke too.

Glad to get the win but I was hoping for a nice easy victory. The wings get away with more subtle penalties than any team in the game but I'm not really complaining that they weren't called....the pens PP sucks.

I find this strange, apparently the only person who doesn't think Cooke intended to injure McDonagh is actually McDonagh...AGrossRecord Andrew Grossby emptynettersMcDonagh repeats he doesn't think Cooke had intent to injure but says if NHL was looking to make statement, it was "a big statement."

Glad to get the win but I was hoping for a nice easy victory. The wings get away with more subtle penalties than any team in the game but I'm not really complaining that they weren't called....the pens PP sucks.
We do because we are a great team. All the great teams get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calls going against you or for you. Chicago Bulls and MJ got the same complaint back when they were great, Brady and the Pats as well, and so do the Wings. We are awesome. It's a perk of being so freaking awesome. Plus it helps that we were at home as most NHL games are called in the favor of the home team. But really it is because we are so awesome. Holy crap though, it must be hard for Pens fans no matter who they play since they lead the league in PIMS. Geez, you have close 2 times the PIM's than the Wings, Nash, Chicago, and the Panthers. Ouchies. :club:
I find this strange, apparently the only person who doesn't think Cooke intended to injure McDonagh is actually McDonagh...AGrossRecord Andrew Grossby emptynettersMcDonagh repeats he doesn't think Cooke had intent to injure but says if NHL was looking to make statement, it was "a big statement."
I don't think Cooke was trying to injure him either.
A 2-3 game suspension is like a vacation to some of these guys (even without pay). Double it at least and I doubt the feel the same way.
I have less of an issue with the two game suspensions than with the players who don't get suspended because they haven't been suspended before! (see: Chara). It gives the league a built-in excuse to trot out the "they aren't a dirty player" line. At least with the minor suspensions they build up a history so if you need to go supernova on them there's a reason.
I disagree that Henrik Sedin should only get 2 games if he did this. I think the suspension should serve more as a deterrent than a punishment.
I think Henrik Sedin would only get a $2500 fine for the exact same hit. I'm not saying what he should get but rather would get.Dany Heatly only got 2 games for what he did & that was 10 times worse than the Cooke hit. How you can only get 2 games for absolutely 100%, no doubt, not really debatable, blatant attempt to injure is beyond me. That should have been 5 minimum. If it wasn't Matt Cooke in the this incident you could argue about intent.For all those who say, "yeah but he's not a dirty player", the only thing I have to say about this is, APPARENTLY HE IS.That being said, the NHL probably got it right in this case after dropping the ball so many times.

I wish they would suspend that Heatley play, at a starting point of 6 games for the first offense, or really, any blatantly obvious, non-accidental hit to the head, like Cooke's, like Heatley's, like Kubina's, like Marchand. Start with 6 games, make it 12 for a repeat offender. If 6 games doesn't stop you, then the threat of losing 12 more the next time, I think that will certainly make players think long and hard about it.

I think Henrik Sedin would only get a $2500 fine for the exact same hit. I'm not saying what he should get but rather would get.Dany Heatly only got 2 games for what he did & that was 10 times worse than the Cooke hit. How you can only get 2 games for absolutely 100%, no doubt, not really debatable, blatant attempt to injure is beyond me. That should have been 5 minimum. If it wasn't Matt Cooke in the this incident you could argue about intent.For all those who say, "yeah but he's not a dirty player", the only thing I have to say about this is, APPARENTLY HE IS.That being said, the NHL probably got it right in this case after dropping the ball so many times.
Cooke only got 2 games for his first suspension too. And his second. And his third. At some point you have to say to yourself "Hey, this guy isn't getting the message" and up the ante. The current suspension is Heatley's first of his career. I think you'd be really hard pressed to find very many players in the league who couldn't be accused of "intending to injure" an opponent at some point in their career. Elbows fly, knees get stuck out, guys get boarded, ankles and wrists get slashed, it's the nature of the beast. You know that going into your chosen profession of hockey. If a guy is continually thumbing his nose at the league and doing whatever he wants out there, eventually the league is going to step up and say "Ok kid, that's enough of that" like they did with Cooke. If Dany Heatley comes back from suspension and does the same crap again, he should go right back home for longer next time.
Here is what I dont get about Cooke..From what I have heard he is a good family guy and does stuff in the community..I am sure guys would agree.In 24/7 i loved the stuff with his kids and family...Showed a gentler side to him..Then on the ice he becomes a douchebag..I dont get it.
"The biggest thing for me is that on the ice, there's a persona," Cooke says. "It's what it is because that's what's made me successful. But that has nothing to do with who I am."from here

this should be more in the random thread than here, but since its still about Cooke:Hockey created Cookethose are my words above, but its pretty much how I see the article, and how I see this whole mess. Note I used "hockey" and not NHL. Its a crock to put this all on the NHL. Kids are doing this stuff to each other at all kinds of levels.

Truthfully, this suspension for Colin Campbell was a no-brainer. And almost a god-send after the shitstorm that went up with Chara and Heatley, for them to be able to slam down a big suspension to say 'Look! We ARE trying'. The NEXT suspension (not to matt cooke) will tell the tale better than anything....

Truthfully, this suspension for Colin Campbell was a no-brainer. And almost a god-send after the shitstorm that went up with Chara and Heatley, for them to be able to slam down a big suspension to say 'Look! We ARE trying'. The NEXT suspension (not to matt cooke) will tell the tale better than anything....
I agree. I keep imagining Colin Campbell wanting to thank Matt Cooke before handing him his suspension.

I think Chris is right on the money.Part of me hopes that Pronger does something stupid when he gets back playing that doesn't hurt anybody but is suspension worthy.

Things you didn't know you didn't know #21:Dan Bylsma of the Los Angeles Kings had the lowest shooting percentage in the league among qualifying forwards during the 1996-97 NHL season: 3.5%.You're welcome.

Why does anyone still pay attention to what Cherry says or writes? He's the most irrelevant person in sports.
Yet somehow he gets one of the biggest stages in Canadian TV to spew his nonsense.