• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

I think Zetterberg's comments are pretty retarded. Well, not so much retarded, but just kinda overboard.The problem is, the NHL can't just suspend him an indefinite amount of time for this, when they just suspended Heatley and Marchand 2 games each for near identical plays. Matt Cooke has the repeat offender thing which gives them some latitude to make it longer, but I don't see how it can go into the playoffs, at this point.Maybe the hit itself is worth 3-4 games, then you can add 3-4 games for it being Matt Cooke, repeat offender? I don't know, this is mostly ripped from Kypreos on Hockey Central at Noon earlier. That's kinda how I feel right now.Having said that, I agree that the NHL as a WHOLE should up the standard length of suspensions, but, again, paraphrasing Kyper here, it has to be done through the proper channels, as in going through the board of governers, GM's, etc, and agreeing up issuing harsher sentences for various plays starting NEXT season. Right now, the NHL really has to go by the precedent it has laid down in the past, there's really no way around that.Having said all that, I think it'll probably be 6-10 games, and I'm still sticking with my initial call of 8.However, I would bet that everyone agrees over the summer to issue tougher punishments in the forum of both suspensions and fines to the players and teams, starting next season, specifically for shots to the head, elbows, etc.

Yeah, I dunno Serge. Read some of these quotes from today from Pens and Wings players. You can tell the guys that know him well actually know what kind of person he is. Nobody is making excuses for the hit or anything, but they defend him as a person, to a certain extent. Really insightful, to me, anyways.http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2011/...versrial-cooke/
DAN BYLSMA“He’s fully capable of playing a physical, gritty game within the rules – whatever the new rules are, the new focus. I talked to Matt (Sunday night) and we’re going to have to go through and establish exactly where those situations are where you can still play a hard, physical game within the rule. That’s something he’s going to have to learn going forward.”
I've bolded the part that's bullshit. He's shown just the opposite, he can't play within the rules and he goes out of his way to try and hurt players.
I get it - hating Cooke is the one thing that almost everyone can get behind, but to me - the Pens (and their true fans) are like family. I can bash them if I want to, but having an outsider do it irritates me.
This is stupid, imo.This is not just bashing for bashing sakes.

And teammates' comments are totally irrelevant. Mass murder's mothers love their kid and hockey players are only going to say good things about a teammate.

I think Zetterberg's comments are pretty retarded. Well, not so much retarded, but just kinda overboard.
I think it would be surprising if players on other teams didn't want to see the book thrown at Cooke. They know what he is and what he's capable of and they don't want a dangerous player with no self control or conscience to be out there trying to hurt them.I can see players not wanting a long suspension in case they or one of their teammates gets caught up with the precedent in the future though. I know if I was a Flyer the thought would maybe go through my head that if they start really hitting repeat offenders what happens the next time Pronger does something.
Here is what I dont get about Cooke..From what I have heard he is a good family guy and does stuff in the community..I am sure guys would agree.In 24/7 i loved the stuff with his kids and family...Showed a gentler side to him..Then on the ice he becomes a douchebag..I dont get it.
I spent a month with him on the road out east during the lockout. He's a douchebag off the ice too.
This is stupid, imo.This is not just bashing for bashing sakes.
And teammates' comments are totally irrelevant. Mass murder's mothers love their kid and hockey players are only going to say good things about a teammate.
This is more of what I'm talking about. People that don't even watch hockey getting their panties in a twist and using ridiculous comparisons to mass murderers.As far as the rest of the hockey world - i'm fully aware that bashing Cooke on this is justified. What I'm talking about more, is when people bash Mario just to pile on. I've seen countless reports that Lemieux will supposedly be a horrible human being if he doesn't publicly tear up Cooke's contract in front of him, burn his house down, and do his wife in front of him. It's turning into a circus.
Here is what I dont get about Cooke..From what I have heard he is a good family guy and does stuff in the community..I am sure guys would agree.In 24/7 i loved the stuff with his kids and family...Showed a gentler side to him..Then on the ice he becomes a douchebag..I dont get it.
I have no idea what kind of guy Cooke is, but ya, I liked him during 24/7 too. You gotta think at some point hes realizing his kids will watch this stuff too, right?In my limited experience in sports, Ive come across a lot of great people off the ice/floor, who couldnt always control themselves on the ice/floor.I used to be like that. If you set me off, I was a dirty f*cker. And I dont say that in a tough guy/proud way, kinda embarrassed about it now to be honest.
I used to be like that. If you set me off, I was a dirty f*cker. And I dont say that in a tough guy/proud way, kinda embarrassed about it now to be honest.
Yeah, I was like that playing minor hockey too. Used to get into game mode, get pissed, get a game misconduct or something, then an hour later when I game down from game mode, it's like, wtf was I thinking? Hell, I was like that my first season in Men's League here in Ottawa.I imagine it's something like that for Cooke. I don't know, I'm not a psychologist. I can't imagine he goes out to injure people specifically, it's just kind of a spur of the moment, reactionary type thing that's really hard to control in such a high speed game. Doesn't excuse him or anything, but I don't think it makes him any less of a person off of the ice.
I believe 'swollen' is more accurate.... .:club:
Lol yes
Yeah, I was like that playing minor hockey too. Used to get into game mode, get pissed, get a game misconduct or something, then an hour later when I game down from game mode, it's like, wtf was I thinking? Hell, I was like that my first season in Men's League here in Ottawa.I imagine it's something like that for Cooke. I don't know, I'm not a psychologist. I can't imagine he goes out to injure people specifically, it's just kind of a spur of the moment, reactionary type thing that's really hard to control in such a high speed game. Doesn't excuse him or anything, but I don't think it makes him any less of a person off of the ice.
I am like this on the hockey forum, so maybe I can relate..BTW from BuccigrossBuccigross John Buccigross Sources tell me Matt Cooke suspension is at least the rest of the regular season.
Is it just me or does Sidney look a little "chunky" in that clip?
Well he was literally not able to move without getting headaches for 2 full months. He couldn't hit the gym at all. Pretty standard his fitness level would drop a little over that time, heh.
I dunno, would trying deliberately to steal an 18 year old trainer's girlfriend be considered intent to injure?
This is more of what I'm talking about. People that don't even watch hockey getting their panties in a twist and using ridiculous comparisons to mass murderers.As far as the rest of the hockey world - i'm fully aware that bashing Cooke on this is justified. What I'm talking about more, is when people bash Mario just to pile on. I've seen countless reports that Lemieux will supposedly be a horrible human being if he doesn't publicly tear up Cooke's contract in front of him, burn his house down, and do his wife in front of him. It's turning into a circus.
I used an extreme example to compare a teammate's public comments to the unconditional love that a Mother has for a child. There's very little that will stop a Mother from loving her child and there's almost nothing that will get a NHL player to say something bad about a teammate in public.Mario is in a tough position. He had an emotional reaction to the Islander game and now he's being held to account for the actions of his own player. His suggetion in the letter that was made public to also punish a team financially is right on the money but the purpose of a fine like that is to hold the team accountable and to discourage them from putting dangerous players on the ice. Cooke is the poster boy for dangerous players so as long as the Penguins keep putting him out there Mario will be open to criticism.From the Penguins standpoint it's too bad Cooke isn't a free agent after this year then they could just say that they wanted to go in a different direction and not resign him.
I suggest you avoid Twitter.So many people wondering why Mario hasn't commented on the latest Cooke hit. Ummmm, perhaps he is waiting for the league to decide before he says anything.
I used an extreme example to compare a teammate's public comments to the unconditional love that a Mother has for a child. There's very little that will stop a Mother from loving her child and there's almost nothing that will get a NHL player to say something bad about a teammate in public.
Did you even bother reading any of the quotes? Almost all of the Penguins said they were disappointed with his actions, and how it's going to cost them as a team, and how you never want to see people put in a position where they can get hurt, teammates or opponents.Are they supposed to call him an ******* or something?
I suggest you avoid Twitter.So many people wondering why Mario hasn't commented on the latest Cooke hit. Ummmm, perhaps he is waiting for the league to decide before he says anything.
He is, and it's already been reported all over that the Penguins will issue a statement when the decision is announced.
Did you even bother reading any of the quotes? Almost all of the Penguins said they were disappointed with his actions, and how it's going to cost them as a team, and how you never want to see people put in a position where they can get hurt, teammates or opponents.Are they supposed to call him an ******* or something?
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2011/...versrial-cooke/CRAIG ADAMS "What puts us is a tough spot is when he misses games. That’s puts us in a tough spot. He’s a great player, and people don’t realize how good of a player he is… if you don’t watch him play every night you don’t know. We know. I’m more concerned with him missing time"ARRON ASHAM "It’s unfortunate some things happen. As teammates we’re going to stand behind whatever happens to anyone on our team. It’s unfortunate. We’ve got to put it behind us and worry about keeping our home-ice advantage for the playoffs. We’ve got to just play hockey.“He’s a good team player. Playing against him was tough. It’d definitely frustrating. He’s a guy you can use on your team – a physical body, he’s got some offensive touch. It’s unfortunate what happened."TYLER KENNEDY " I really have no comment on the situation. I just don’t want to comment.”I read all the quotes and they sounded a lot more like they were disappointed not in his actions but in the fact that their "great" teammate will be missing games.Again I don't expect them to say anything bad about him in public. I think Kennedy took the right approach. You were missing my point that what a teammate says about a player in public is pretty much meaningless in these situations.