Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Godard should and will be suspended, but that's why he's on the team. He'll sacrifice a suspension to protect a teammate in that spot. Having said that, that spots comes up once in a blue moon, so I still hope they let him walk after the season and let the rest of our tough guys absorb his job, which they have done anyways since he's scratched 90% of the time.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

I havent seen the play, however the rule states an automatic 10 game suspension.
Shero will probably slip him an envelope full of cash to cover the wages lost from the suspension.
Bylsma said after the game that Tangradi is showing some concussion symptoms after getting elbowed in the head by a blatant head shot.
aw for fcks sake. and, Im a little drunk, but am I seeing this right? There was 30,000 pims in the NYI-PIT game?
saw a replay of Tang just lying on the ice, and Konopka? yelling at him still while being taken off. That just looked beyond wrong.
Trevor Gillies, but yeah. Douchebag move. The officials should have had him in the room.

I only saw the highlights, but was impressed with the Pens and disgusted by the Islanders. If I'm Campbell, Godard gets the minimum possible suspension, Martin gets 20 games for the sucker on Talbot, Haley gets 15 games for going across the ice to get Johnson and Gilles gets 4 games for the elbow and another 15 for the suckerpunches after.There is no room in the world for someone to do what Gilles and Martin did, just punching a guy in the face with no warning, and without the opportunity to protect themselves. I don't think there's any precedent for it, I suspend the coach 10 games, and hope future coaches think twice about putting guys out there with the potential to embarass them and their team.Oh, and if I'm Shero or the owners, Godard definitely gets an envelope of cash. I know it is your backup goalie, but he still HAS to be protected, especially from an AHL player.

I only saw the highlights, but was impressed with the Pens and disgusted by the Islanders. If I'm Campbell, Godard gets the minimum possible suspension, Martin gets 20 games for the sucker on Talbot, Haley gets 15 games for going across the ice to get Johnson and Gilles gets 4 games for the elbow and another 15 for the suckerpunches after.There is no room in the world for someone to do what Gilles and Martin did, just punching a guy in the face with no warning, and without the opportunity to protect themselves. I don't think there's any precedent for it, I suspend the coach 10 games, and hope future coaches think twice about putting guys out there with the potential to embarass them and their team.Oh, and if I'm Shero or the owners, Godard definitely gets an envelope of cash. I know it is your backup goalie, but he still HAS to be protected, especially from an AHL player.
I dont think you are looking at the whole picture...There is a lot of history here, and VERY recent history. Cooke runs Dipietro several times. Johnson unprovoked goes cross ice and breaks the face of your number one goalie. The Penguins laughed at the Islanders during this whole process. Yes Haley goes towards Johnson but Johnson drops the gloves and is ready to fight him..I am certain Johnson even invited him to fight..This isnt a poor goalie that was run at and was defenseless..What Godard did is inexcusable. I would suspend Blysma here and fine the Penguins organization heavily.This was old fashioned payback , do i think that Haley and Gilles shouldnt get suspended , of course not....But to make it seem like the poor Penguins were attacked by the goonish Islanders is doing disservice to the situation.If you want to attack someone, attack Colin Campbell for letting douchebags like Matt Cooke go free..For allowing roller derby antics(Boston/Montreal) and not suspending Johnson for what he did...These guys took the game into their own hands and they paid them back the only way they could.Again I want to reiterate I dont condone what the Islanders did, however painting this into a one sided massacre is totally wrong..Looking forward to comments by Don Cherry on Coaches corner.I emphatize with Zach and the Penguin fans and i am sure I would react the same if that was the Leafs in that situation.
I dont think you are looking at the whole picture...There is a lot of history here, and VERY recent history. Cooke runs Dipietro several times. Johnson unprovoked goes cross ice and breaks the face of your number one goalie. The Penguins laughed at the Islanders during this whole process. Yes Haley goes towards Johnson but Johnson drops the gloves and is ready to fight him..I am certain Johnson even invited him to fight..This isnt a poor goalie that was run at and was defenseless..What Godard did is inexcusable. I would suspend Blysma here and fine the Penguins organization heavily.This was old fashioned payback , do i think that Haley and Gilles shouldnt get suspended , of course not....But to make it seem like the poor Penguins were attacked by the goonish Islanders is doing disservice to the situation.If you want to attack someone, attack Colin Campbell for letting douchebags like Matt Cooke go free..For allowing roller derby antics(Boston/Montreal) and not suspending Johnson for what he did...These guys took the game into their own hands and they paid them back the only way they could.Again I want to reiterate I dont condone what the Islanders did, however painting this into a one sided massacre is totally wrong..Looking forward to comments by Don Cherry on Coaches corner.I emphatize with Zach and the Penguin fans and i am sure I would react the same if that was the Leafs in that situation.
I was going to post that making it seem like Johnson was jumped is inaccurate. He was a willing combatant and invited a a fight by skating out when he could have just as easily stayed in his neck.The Gillies charging/elbow was the dirtiest thing in this game...by far!
It wasn't old-fashioned payback. What Martin and Gilles and Haley did is not payback, it is violence. It was not in a context of a hockey game, unlike the Pens move. I don't know what Talbot/Comeau cheap shot they were talking about, but Cooke didn't run the goalie any more than plenty of guys do in the normal course of a game. I spoke out against what Johnson did, but that is not comparable to what was done here. This was, as you put it, roller derby, by the Islanders. The Pens were protecting themselves.
I was going to post that making it seem like Johnson was jumped is inaccurate. He was a willing combatant and invited a a fight by skating out when he could have just as easily stayed in his neck.The Gillies charging/elbow was the dirtiest thing in this game...by far!
He could've skated towards the fight if he wanted to fight. Seemed pretty clear he only responded to a challenge. He was not jumped though, that is correct. He was a lot more willing than DiPietro last game!I think Martin's play is dirtier than Gilles. Just because you can see him thinking about it. That is pretty sick.
He could've skated towards the fight if he wanted to fight. Seemed pretty clear he only responded to a challenge. He was not jumped though, that is correct. He was a lot more willing than DiPietro last game!I think Martin's play is dirtier than Gilles. Just because you can see him thinking about it. That is pretty sick.
Johnson brought it on, he didnt have to Martin and Gillies should be suspended as those plays have no business in hockey...Painting Godard as innocent vigilante is ridicolous..And whats with Blysma putting Johnson back in the game in the third...I bet it had to with "coach put me back, i want a piece of them"

Just watched some more highlights. The referees sucked in this whole mess...Haley fights Talbot, the refs break it up and basically let him go and he skates towards Johnson. Its pretty rare to see a player have back to back fights...

Johnson brought it on, he didnt have to Martin and Gillies should be suspended as those plays have no business in hockey...Painting Godard as innocent vigilante is ridicolous..And whats with Blysma putting Johnson back in the game in the third...I bet it had to with "coach put me back, i want a piece of them"
Why not? I look at goalies like that one friend we all had who was a troublemaking shit, but tiny. So if you just let him go, he'd get his face kicked in. Godard was just protecting his little friend. He still deserves a suspension for being 3rd man in (and off the bench, obviously).
Just watched some more highlights. The referees sucked in this whole mess...Haley fights Talbot, the refs break it up and basically let him go and he skates towards Johnson. Its pretty rare to see a player have back to back fights...
They were wrong to let Haley go. Some comments indicated he'd get an auto-suspension for being in two fights like that, but I don't hold that against him. Lots of players would go fight someone else unless a ref stuffed him in the box!I don't see how the refs "sucked in" anything else though.
Eh, upgrade from Wheeling, probably.
Without looking at a full list of cities for ECHL teams, I'd be that anywhere is an upgrade from Wheeling.I ref 3 games today. The 1st and 3rd are 1996 birth year games coached by a guy named Mario. :club:
I'm sorry Serge, you're WAY off on this.Maybe Cooke deserved retribution, I don't know, but leaping elbows to a rookie's head, and a Bertuzzi-esque sucker punch from behind are not an acceptable form of payback. That's pure thuggery and has no place in the NHL. Proper payback would be getting Cooke to fight to pay for his actions (and Cooke DOES fight).The Haley/Johnson thing was perhaps the least atrocious part of the night, but it was still the absolute most unnecessary thing of all time. And yeah, awful job by the officials by letting Haley go after his first fight. Johnson didn't invite any of it, Haley went skating down, and Johnson responded to the challenge. If that's me, I leave my helmet and gloves on and probably hold my stick in a defensive stance ready for a two-hander. Johnson actually had the nuts to drop them, remove his mask AND he landed a bunch of good shots, LOL. Folk here.Godard deserves a suspension. He's not a hero in this, but when the refs are letting the Isles run wild like they were, the **** yes he NEEDS to do what he did. The suspension is just part of his job. This is the first time I've felt he wasn't actually a waste of a roster spot and 4 minutes of ice every night.
It wasn't old-fashioned payback. What Martin and Gilles and Haley did is not payback, it is violence. It was not in a context of a hockey game, unlike the Pens move. I don't know what Talbot/Comeau cheap shot they were talking about, but Cooke didn't run the goalie any more than plenty of guys do in the normal course of a game. I spoke out against what Johnson did, but that is not comparable to what was done here. This was, as you put it, roller derby, by the Islanders. The Pens were protecting themselves.
The Talbot hit was a bit of a blindside, but absolutely shoulder to shoulder, and no contact with the head. Wasn't a cheap shot, wasn't dirty, wasn't illegal. Comeau got hurt on it because of how he fell to the ice, I think, not the contact.
Sorry, Johnson wasn't the one who skated the length of the ice to engage. He responded to the challenge admirably, but he didn't have to.As for putting BJ back in? Bylsma was probably like, "this game is out of hand, the Isles have decided to try to injure everybody, so I'm not risking my superstar goalie in this game."I said several times last night, that had we not been shorthanded due to game misconducts, I don't have Staal, Letang, Goligoski, or anyone of value on the ice at all in the 3rd period after it became clear the Isles were going to try to kill everyone with dirty plays.