Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

I think Gonchar was done too, at least done as a five million a year man, but do the pens fans worry that the team just seems to hit the skids every single time he was out of the lineup? And do they need to get a smooth skating puck mover (Hello Kaberle) to replace him?

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

TSN panel seems to think he's well worth the money.He was pretty under the radar in Phoenix. As far as I know, he's just a real solid defenseman. He's not offensive, but chips in with points. Kills penalties, etc. He'll be a good fit here, and he's a good step towards fixing the biggest problem the Pens had last year.

I woud say he is a shutdown D man. Has some offensiveness to him but mainly a shut down guy. I think you paid him more than what people thought but who knows. I would love to see him on my team.

I think Gonchar was done too, at least done as a five million a year man, but do the pens fans worry that the team just seems to hit the skids every single time he was out of the lineup? And do they need to get a smooth skating puck mover (Hello Kaberle) to replace him?
Well, I guess it depends how far they feel Goligoski and Letang have come in their development.I wouldn't mind Kaberle, but I don't think I pay the price Burke will want for him.We do need another defenseman or two, though, and we should still have cap space for a $4-5 million player, and shoring it up defensively with Michalek, we now open the door for an offensive minded, PP QB type guy.So my answer is maybe?

Looks like we have slightly more than $7M in space, needing a top 6 forward (or two if Tangradi or someone can't step up), a top 4 type defenseman, and a bottom pairing d-man.The latter will come for <800k, so the big money will be split among the forward and defenseman. Should be interesting.

I've been keeping an eye on Z. Michalek for awhile now (I have him on my AHL team). He's a very solid dman. He blocks a lot of shots and has some offense if given the chance. I think you'll see him paired with one of the more offensive-minded young dmen on the Pens and they'll be very solid.

sheesh is right
boom shakalakaWe better get used to these D.Paul Martin - till 14/15 at 5 per.Zbynek Michalek - till 14/15 at 4 per.Kris Letang - till 13/14 at 3.5 per.Brooks Orpik - till 13/14 at 3.75 per.Ben Lovejoy - till 12/13 at .5 per.Alex Goligoski - till 11/12 at 1.8 per.

Dunno if Lovejoy is gonna stick at the #6 spot, but it'll either be him or a veteran like McKee/Skoula of last season for around $600k or something.I guess with all these signings on defense, it looks like Tangradi is being penciled in to make the team out of camp.We would need 2 top-6 forwards without him, and he'd have about $3M left. As it stands with him penciled in, we need a forward, and we have $2.25 in cap space. Shero will want the buffer zone, so maybe we'll be looking for someone in the 1.5-1.75 range.Kariya? Whitney?Another option is to permanently move Staal into the top 6, and sign a 3rd line center.

With Volchenkov getting $4.25 million per year, how would you guys rate, in order, the deals for Martin, Michalek, and Volchenkov? With Martin being injured for most of last season and Michalek being both young (relatively) and out in the west, I'm really at a loss to judge these.

The biggest worry for me about Volchenkov would be be his durability. It's not like he's missed a lot of games recently, but the style he plays, he's probably prone to breaking down pretty early, relatively, in his career.Martin, meanwhile, just had an arm injury, and it's not like it's something recurring or whatever.

With Volchenkov getting $4.25 million per year, how would you guys rate, in order, the deals for Martin, Michalek, and Volchenkov? With Martin being injured for most of last season and Michalek being both young (relatively) and out in the west, I'm really at a loss to judge these.
Martin, if nothing else, has learned how to play chalkboard perfect defense. Hard to judge his offensive talents since he's reined in most of the time. I like him though. Michalek is almost the same guy. Very solid, and with a good learning curve that has seen him get better consistently. Volchenkov I can tell you is in the top 3 defensemen in the eastern conference that forwards HATE HATE HATE to play against and that's never a bad thing to have on your team. I don't know that there have been that many questions about his durability. The guy is a tank....
I like Volchenkov and am pretty bummed that he went to the Devils. Having to face him 4 times a year was plenty.

Thanks for the replies. My feeling is that I kinda like the Martin deal, but with the money that Volchenkov took and his rep for being a shut-down defenseman, I have to think he'd be a better choice than Michalek. I hope I'm wrong.

Z-Mich----- Im in the same boat as Dale on this guy. I've had him in a pool since his rookie year, and I see some untapped O there, if the Pens choose to ask im for it. And I think he is a very underrated all around D, with a great shutdown game. Very nice pickup. I was really hoping for him to go to the Canes.P.Mart---- Not as high on him. Maybe its the system in NJ, but Ive never been overly impressed with his O side, and I find him kinda weak in his own end. Ill assume the pro's know something I dont in giving him a bigger deal than ZMich and Volch. Either that, or pts production really does pay.Volchenkov- I think he was the pick of the crop. BUT.....Id be very worried about giving a guy like this a long term deal. The years hes been in already will come back to haunt. They have to catch up to him soon.Overall, Im really suprised the Pens went for Martin, unless they felt they really needed someone to get Cros-Malk-Staal the puck. I feel like that $5mill would have been better off with a winger.

Z-Mich----- Im in the same boat as Dale on this guy. I've had him in a pool since his rookie year, and I see some untapped O there, if the Pens choose to ask im for it. And I think he is a very underrated all around D, with a great shutdown game. Very nice pickup. I was really hoping for him to go to the Canes.P.Mart---- Not as high on him. Maybe its the system in NJ, but Ive never been overly impressed with his O side, and I find him kinda weak in his own end. Ill assume the pro's know something I dont in giving him a bigger deal than ZMich and Volch. Either that, or pts production really does pay.Volchenkov- I think he was the pick of the crop. BUT.....Id be very worried about giving a guy like this a long term deal. The years hes been in already will come back to haunt. They have to catch up to him soon.Overall, Im really suprised the Pens went for Martin, unless they felt they really needed someone to get Cros-Malk-Staal the puck. I feel like that $5mill would have been better off with a winger.
im positive they were looking for $5 million wingers..There just isnt any out there...
im positive they were looking for $5 million wingers..There just isnt any out there...
anything happened with Frolov? No idea what hes asking for, but I would have looked into him...
anything happened with Frolov? No idea what hes asking for, but I would have looked into him...
He is still out there...I think a lot of gms are afraid of him...I am surprised Maxim Afinogenov isnt signed yet...I am assuming he is going to KHL??He would be a good fit in Pittsburgh IMO..Toronto for that matter. He is a little soft for Burke but he is a talented goal scorer, coming off a good year.