Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

No deal...sorry. I want Staal, Malkin, and Crosby. I'm looking for average wingers that Crosby and Malkin can elevate to above average. Obviously players of that caliber should be able to do that and I think it worked with Kunitz, Dupius, Sykora, and Guerin. The problem is that you can't shine shit. (Poni, Fedotenko)Pens Eulogy - pretty well done I must say...considering it was done by a Caps fans.
Aside from the Big 3, your top goal scorer this year was Guerin at 21. No one else on the team topped 20. This isn't good news when your goalie posts 2.65 GAA numbers, which again is in the bottom half of the league among goalies with better than 27 games played. You need secondary scoring, we need a top-level center who can kill penalties and win faceoffs. Match made in heaven. The plan to have Crosby and Malkin elevate the game of the guys on their line isn't working (see: Colby Armstrong, Miro Satan).
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

We all know the only reason the Pens won the cup last year...It had nothing to do with Crosby or Malkin...Obviously the MVP was Hal Gill..Also known as giant killer, shot blocker, poor mans Chara.... :club:

Yeah, really.... PER. And to make it worse, he's on the cover of this week's hockey news.
I grabbed a copy of the local Boston paper when I was there for the 1st Bruins-Pens game since the Savard hit...he was on the cover of that too. $3 million per for Cooke is just nuts. Brendan Morrow is 10x better at the game they both play than Cooke is, and he only makes $4.1 as a team captain. Kind of comical that his agent thinks he's worth that kind of money, but I guess that's his job.
I grabbed a copy of the local Boston paper when I was there for the 1st Bruins-Pens game since the Savard hit...he was on the cover of that too. $3 million per for Cooke is just nuts. Brendan Morrow is 10x better at the game they both play than Cooke is, and he only makes $4.1 as a team captain. Kind of comical that his agent thinks he's worth that kind of money, but I guess that's his job.
I guess they're trying to cash in on the freakshow premium.
Yeah, the good news is, asking and getting are two different animals. And cooke is only one type of animal...
It'd be stupid for his agent not to ask for something like 3 million. Someone will give him $2m, maybe.
agree. 1.5+ at least, probably 2mill-ish if someone gets desperate/stupid.
This article seems to point to Malkin as being overrated and includes all sorts of stats to back it up.http://flamesnation.ca/2010/5/14/evgeni-malkin-is-overrated
OH NO...that article destroy Malkin's trade value. Now we'll get nothing for him. I guess we'll just have to keep him.malkin.jpgevgeni-malkin-54.jpgSeriously...seems like a bunch of BS to me. The guy didn't have the greatest year but he's still top 10 in the game at worst...and can easily be mentioned with Crosby/Ovechkin at his best.
OH NO...that article destroy Malkin's trade value. Now we'll get nothing for him. I guess we'll just have to keep him.
Fear not. While my offer of Eric Staal is no longer on the table, I am willing to give Jared Staal and a 6th rounder to take the bum off your hands.Lets face it, he is never gonna keep getting "lucky" like he did in 08-09. Its all downhill from here on out.
Fear not. While my offer of Eric Staal is no longer on the table, I am willing to give Jared Staal and a 6th rounder to take the bum off your hands.Lets face it, he is never gonna keep getting "lucky" like he did in 08-09. Its all downhill from here on out.
Deal...haha sucker!
Um, get it up.
TWSS...BGTDLike Bucs, Penguins Still Have Work to Be DonePosted originally on a website owned by the owner of the Pirates they received a shit ton of crap (rightfully f'n so) about it before they took it down. That's to Google Cache it's still available. Probably the dumbest article I've read in quite a while.
TWSS...BGTDLike Bucs, Penguins Still Have Work to Be DonePosted originally on a website owned by the owner of the Pirates they received a shit ton of crap (rightfully f'n so) about it before they took it down. That's to Google Cache it's still available. Probably the dumbest article I've read in quite a while.
If you weren't a Penguins fan you wouldn't think it was so outrageous. I don't think Fleury is a top-tier goalie in this league. He is a good goalie who occasionally has a great game but there are plenty of them around. Looking back, the Fleury pick was a mistake and it's impossible to convince any Penguins fan because they won a cup with him. However, I think there are many goalies who would've won the Cup with the Penguins last year. Every team makes drafting mistakes but this one stands out more because of the players taken behind Fleury. The Penguins do not have adequate support for the quality centremen they have.I know nothing about the Pirates...well, except they used to be family.
If you weren't a Penguins fan you wouldn't think it was so outrageous. I don't think Fleury is a top-tier goalie in this league. He is a good goalie who occasionally has a great game but there are plenty of them around. Looking back, the Fleury pick was a mistake and it's impossible to convince any Penguins fan because they won a cup with him. However, I think there are many goalies who would've won the Cup with the Penguins last year. Every team makes drafting mistakes but this one stands out more because of the players taken behind Fleury. The Penguins do not have adequate support for the quality centremen they have.I know nothing about the Pirates...well, except they used to be family.
I agree that Fleury isn't that great. The thing with the Fleury pick though is that the only person you could make a good argument for would be Staal. Maybe Vanek, but thats a stretch too. Anyone else, and they werent even close to being in the running at that time. Didnt Getzlaf go like 17th?!As for comparing the Pirates to...anyone. Laughable. I dont know a ton about them either, but they are the epitomy of a team that does not draft well, and if it does, trades poorly, and if it doesnt, then just gives away its talent so they dont have to pay them. If anything, the other teams in Pittsburgh have shown them that the small market label does not apply, so stop using it as an excuse.

BREAKING NEWS FROM ROTOWORLD!!!"The Penguins do not plan to trade Evgeni Malkin during the off-season."Damn. I already had my Canes #71 jersey all ready to go....

I didn't bother reading that article, but I read a few excerpts on random blogs. The funniest thing I took from it is that they made a point of saying that the Penguins only won the Cup once since the lockout...Like, it's a 30 team league, 1/5 is running above EV, not to mention 4 playoff appearances, 2 finals appearances, etc.It was pretty much the most absurd article every written, especially considering the Pirates haven't had a winning season in like 25 years, let alone a championship or a playoff berth.

The whole Fluery part of the article isn't why it's being trashed. I agree that he's inconsistent and It's just the idea of comparing the Pirates to the Penguins that's absurd. The Pens has a tough 5 year stretch (1 year being the lockout) but other than that made the playoffs 14 times since the Pirates have had a .500 season.

The whole Fluery part of the article isn't why it's being trashed. I agree that he's inconsistent and It's just the idea of comparing the Pirates to the Penguins that's absurd. The Pens has a tough 5 year stretch (1 year being the lockout) but other than that made the playoffs 14 times since the Pirates have had a .500 season.
well, I think it's completely reasonable to criticize the writer over his choice of argument re: Fleury. Yeah, the Pens screwed up (See Dale's post), but using 20/20 hindsight isn't the way to go about convincing anyone.I mean, how many IDIOT GMs passed over Lundqvist?!?