• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

I have always wondered how much it actually is??Whats the stop some rich guy to pay the Penguins to name the Arena after him...If Zach wins the WSOP next year, he could of paid the Pens to call the Arena The Zach Place
I'm relatively sure it's in the realm of 100s of millions of dollars. I'm sure I heard a figure like that somewhere, but I can't find anything to back it up, or remember anything more specific, lol.The more I think about it, though, it makes no sense. It's defintely more than first prize in the main event, I'll wager that much, anyways, lol.
I'm relatively sure it's in the realm of 100s of millions of dollars. I'm sure I heard a figure like that somewhere, but I can't find anything to back it up, or remember anything more specific, lol.The more I think about it, though, it makes no sense. It's defintely more than first prize in the main event, I'll wager that much, anyways, lol.
Prudential / NJ was $105 million..Found this on ESPN (a bit old):http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.htmlSo looks like you can get a Hockey Arena for ~1-4 mill a year.
Prudential / NJ was $105 million..Found this on ESPN (a bit old):http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.htmlSo looks like you can get a Hockey Arena for ~1-4 mill a year.
it really isnt a lot of money at all....Just think how much money it costs to advertise a 30 second spot on the Super Bowl...I believe its over a million..So its chump change...Even in a bad economy.
it really isnt a lot of money at all....Just think how much money it costs to advertise a 30 second spot on the Super Bowl...I believe its over a million..So its chump change...Even in a bad economy.
I think the key is that many of these naming agreements are nominally for very long terms. Though I must admit I was surprised that Corel only had a $800k agreement when apparently other tech companies were interested at the time.The problem with these naming agreements is that I'm not sure how much of a marketing boost it actually provides. IMHO as a marketing method it's way less focused than TV, print media.ie:- as a Scotibank customer I was able to get a free jersey, which was nice, but I doubt I would change my bank over some sponsorship.- Corel at the time was pushing their Wordperfect Suite as non-niche software so I guess why they went that route.- GM has an in-arena car showcases (which goes along with the Chevy+Pontiac sponsorship) but it's right by the stairs so I doubt many people stop.- I'm guessing most of the Ottawa in-area advertising for tech companies was used as a recruiting tool.I wish more arenas were like Calgary and included the original name (Pengrowth Saddledome) such as the Scotiabank Paladium. At least then the venues would retain some identifiable personality.

I interned with the Washington Wild Things this summer (independent, minor league baseball team 35mins south of Pittsburgh for our friendly northern neighbors) and they play at ConSOL Energy Park.On intern orientation day, the first thing as a group after our departmental tours was to spend 15minutes making sure everyone knew how to pronounce con/SOL Energy Park. So just a reminder out there that whilst pronouncing the name of the new Pens arena is ConSOL Energy Center, not Consol.ConSOL Energy IS America's On-Switch.**This post brought to you by the "Those People Can SMD Club", Sean King, President.**

With all the money flying around and the competition to gain naming rights I'm pretty confident that being able to link your name to a popular franchise would very much be in any companies interest.

I don't know, I think it's a pretty big deal for a company just to get the exposure of having their name on a rink. Just the fact that they're going to say "Consol Energy Arena" every single time they show a game, or highlights, etc, is a pretty big boost to a company's image and recognizability (not a real word?), even if it won't directly convert people who watch the Pens games in Canada onto their particular product, etc.

I'm not all that surprised - they say "Powered by Consol" before every game on FSN, anyways.So what's up with this waiting till Thursday for a game? It feels like the Olympic break, or something. Of course, the team can probably use the practice time.

Hey I have some distant relatives that run a burger place in Pitt that's supposed to be famous....... Tessaro's..... Anyone been there?
http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20000401tessaro2.aspI was out on Saturday with my buddy that lives a block away from it, we will be hitting it up around Xmas/New Years.Chris - Should I tell them you sent me? ha
Unrelated, I watched the game online from the Islanders feed, which didn't show commercials. This was cool because you could see and hear them setting up for the replay they were going to show after the break. With about 9 mins left in the game, they went to commercial and set up to do a qiick piece on one of the Islanders players (forget who and don't care to look it up) that was from Alaska. As they had the camera on him, waiting to come back from commercial, they PA annoucer at the Igglo was saying something that I couldn't make out and a few of the Islanders (I know Doug Weight for sure) got up to tap their sticks on the boards to cheer. My GUESS was that it was for Sykoka (the goal score-a) getting the hat trick, but didn't know for sure. Anyone?
btw, I got my answer to this question. The Pens had 4 special guests at the game...2 members of the Armed Forces that had just gotten back from Iraq and 2 that were heading over.

Why the Pittsburgh Penguins wont make the playoffs:A lot of pundits before the year started predicted that the Penguins would challenge again for the Eastern Conference. However I always was in the camp that this team is nowhere near the team from last year, and would have a struggle to make the playoffs. They lost a lot of key players in the off season and it was obvious that the team would suffer.The fans will tell you that they suffered a lot of key injuries in the beginning of the season, and yes this is true. However in the salary cap era, teams that dont spend their money wisely have been proven to not be succesful. The Pittsburgh Penguins have arguably the two best offensive players in the league, however this alone doesnt win Championships. Recently the Penguins one dimensional play has caught up to them in the Eastern Conference standings and they are free falling out of a playoff spot.They currently stand 6th however , the Red hot Devils, the energized Canes and the resurgent Sabres are right behind them and are poised to pass them very soon. Add to that the recent good play of the Toronto Maple Leafs, the team can find themselves out of a playoff spot before the new year.Penguin fans will tell you that their saviour Fleury will be in the nets starting this week, he of the 28th best GAA in the NHL. Fleury is a mediocre goaltender and wont be the saviour they are looking for..Will the return of Gonchar and Whitney help, yes...Will this team make the playoffs NO..Its a very bold statement that is controversial , however the numbers dont lie.*****you are welcome Penguin fans, as now the reverse jinx is in place and the Pens should go on a nice run.

FYP
That is the problem with you people...I make a valid argument, back it up with stats....I dont make up anything, i spoke in truths..Its all good though, my 20-1 bet is looking better and better.
That is the problem with you people...I make a valid argument, back it up with stats....I dont make up anything, i spoke in truths..Its all good though, my 20-1 bet is looking better and better.
Who you calling "you people"?IMO there's no real reason to debate anything with you when it comes to teams you hate (Pens, Sens, Habs) or your beloved Leafs. Therefore I'm not willing to take the bait even though I certainly don't agree with you and I think I'd see it that way even after taking off my vegas gold shaded glasses.
IMO there's no real reason to debate anything with you when it comes to teams you hate (Pens, Sens, Habs) or your beloved Leafs. Therefore I'm not willing to take the bait even though I certainly don't agree with you and I think I'd see it that way even after taking off my vegas gold shaded glasses.
I wasnt looking to debate...I just wanted to point out the facts...That the Penguins are only 3 pts in a playoff spot, freefalling and its a REAL possibility that they will miss the playoffs..
I wasnt looking to debate...I just wanted to point out the facts...That the Penguins are only 3 pts in a playoff spot, freefalling and its a REAL possibility that they will miss the playoffs..
Ok I'll bite just a little bit.#1Possibility, yea...probability no. They aren't the perfect team but they are far from being a non playoff team. Fluery isn't a Luongo but he's better than Sabourin. Whitney coming back isn't a bad thing either. They are also missing Kennedy and Zigomanis which play big roles in the faceoff circle and the energy department.#2Pens on 12/17/2008 (16-10-4)Pens on 12/17/2007 (16-14-2) #3It's December 17th, 2008#4They've had a rough December (2-4-1) as they were forced to play 7 games in 11 days. #5They are still in decent shape after an ok October (5-4-2) and a very good November (9-2-1). #6December isn't over though I don't think out of the question for them turn it around as they have a relatively easy next 4 against Atlanta, Toronto, Buffalo, and Tampa. Hopefully they can get on a decent roll before finishing the month vs. Montreal and Boston.

You make ok points..But here is one for you...Since November 13th, the Penguins have only one win against a team higher then them in the standings...And you didnt go there by saying Toronto is an easy game...Bulletin board material for my boys..thanks :club: