Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

I think the call on Straka was somewhat weak. I'm not a referee though.I don't agree in any terms that there was an embellishment on that call, or the previous one coming around the net. For the first one, specifically, a guy like Crosby is never going to dive when it would negate a scoring chance he'd have. It's simply not the wayhe plays.The way he plays, however, is going to result in a lot of penalties called in his favour. Crosby never takes the easy road to the outside, he's always attacking the holes in the middle, and engaging in contact. Sometimes he gets through, sometimes he steps on sticks, sometimes he steps on a skate blade and loses balance, etc. It's just part of what happens when you play hard and skate through people, rather than around. What he does isn't diving, and it isn't embellishing. He just happens to play a style that's more condusive to contact, thus resulting in refs seeing more calls, whether they are weak or not.
I will agree with most of these comments, however the league looks the other way sometimes when its Crosby..If the same play was against Avery, we all know what the outcome would be on the play...I am not saying its not deserved, but there is obviously a double standard...
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

I will agree with most of these comments, however the league looks the other way sometimes when its Crosby..If the same play was against Avery, we all know what the outcome would be on the play...I am not saying its not deserved, but there is obviously a double standard...
Not sure if you saw it, but I had just used that exact same link on the previous page in this thread. I was doing the same Crosby-defending that you did, and thought that not only was that a perfect example of diving, but was perfect as it showed 2 current Rangers as well :club:

I think this will be a series after they play in NY. 2-2 coming back to Pittsburgh. I think Rangers will come out like they did in game 1 except they would let Pitts come back. I want Pitts to win the series, I just don't want it to be a sweep.

loved Fleury's nug shot on Avery at the end. great game 2-0 let's keep it up
ya i was happy with how we played today, good D and great goaltending, i see us splitting in NY and finishing it up game 5 back in pitts.
I think this will be a series after they play in NY. 2-2 coming back to Pittsburgh. I think Rangers will come out like they did in game 1 except they would let Pitts come back. I want Pitts to win the series, I just don't want it to be a sweep.
How's that, getting completely dominated until catching a few lucky bounces, and then continuing to get dominated?

I'm a Pens fan, but I tend to be more realistic and humble than most. I find it's bad karma to blindly spout off about my team's future success(for reference - my prediction of "Pens in 5" in last year's playoffs vs Ottawa), let alone try to pass off a 3 goal lead as "catching a few lucky bounces." I also feel that the Rangers played a better 2nd period of yesterday's game, even though the Pens scored a goal during that span. We're winning, but it isn't a cake walk - especially going back into NYC.

I'm a Pens fan, but I tend to be more realistic and humble than most. I find it's bad karma to blindly spout off about my team's future success(for reference - my prediction of "Pens in 5" in last year's playoffs vs Ottawa), let alone try to pass off a 3 goal lead as "catching a few lucky bounces." I also feel that the Rangers played a better 2nd period of yesterday's game, even though the Pens scored a goal during that span. We're winning, but it isn't a cake walk - especially going back into NYC.
At least you're not self-important enough to think your predictions have an effect on the outcome.
Yes good post..After the first two games against Ottawa the Pens were up 2-0 as well..However this is totally different..This series has been so far very evenly matched and the Penguins by good play and some timely good fortune are up 2-0...I think the 3-0 lead that the Rangers blew in the first game , may be a huge outcome to overcome..
I think the 3-0 lead that the Rangers blew in the first game , may be a huge outcome to overcome..
Shit like that is soooo hard to overcome... it's such a soul crush.I always think back to the year Primeau won that 5 OT game against the Pens, I think it was game 4, and it tied the series at 2. Even though they were still even, that goal basically ended the series.
Shit like that is soooo hard to overcome... it's such a soul crush.I always think back to the year Primeau won that 5 OT game against the Pens, I think it was game 4, and it tied the series at 2. Even though they were still even, that goal basically ended the series.
yeah totally...It has to be so tough on them...They have to constantly be reminded in the back of their head..WHAT IF...Its not like they played an even game and lost in OT, which happens a lot..but blowing a 3-0 lead with arguably one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL and one of the top defense in the regular season, is hard to swallow.I remember that 5ot game..that was brutal for the Pens.

I was lucky enough to be at the Pens game yesterday and I don't think anyone (Pens fan or not) can say they aren't the better team right now. If it wasn't for Lundquist yesterday's game wouldn't be near as close. Fluery played with but he has to give credit to the guys in front of him for that shutout. They had almost as many blocked shots as he had saves. Gonchar had 5 blocked shots and I'm really amazed at how much of a complete player he has become since joining the Pens. He wasn't even 1/2 the player he is now during the early months of his career with the Pens.The Pens haven't played too well @ Madison Square Garden this year so I'm hoping they can borrow some of the Pitt Panthers Basketball team magic (6-0 @ the garden this year including the Big East Title) and close out the series there or a least split it and bring the series back to the Igloo.

I was lucky enough to be at the Pens game yesterday and I don't think anyone (Pens fan or not) can say they aren't the better team right now. If it wasn't for Lundquist yesterday's game wouldn't be near as close. Fluery played with but he has to give credit to the guys in front of him for that shutout. They had almost as many blocked shots as he had saves. Gonchar had 5 blocked shots and I'm really amazed at how much of a complete player he has become since joining the Pens. He wasn't even 1/2 the player he is now during the early months of his career with the Pens.The Pens haven't played too well @ Madison Square Garden this year so I'm hoping they can borrow some of the Pitt Panthers Basketball team magic (6-0 @ the garden this year including the Big East Title) and close out the series there or a least split it and bring the series back to the Igloo.
As long as they save some for afterwards, too.
frozen_inside042808.jpg
Haha, Looks like a hockey player to me.I sat basically directly on the other side of HL's arse. Up under the over hang where we couldn't see the scoreboard and didn't know how much it was left in the period unless we crouched waay down in our seats.
As long as they save some for afterwards, too.
Truth.

Penguins center Evgeni Malkin is one of three finalists for the Hart Trophy, the NHL announced today. The Hart is awarded to the league's most valuable player.Malkin, in his second season, scored 47 goals and recorded 59 assists.The other finalists are Calgary right wing Jarome Iginla and Washington left wing Alex Ovechkin.

Left winger Gary Roberts will not dress for Game 3 of the Penguins' second-round playoff series against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden Tuesday.Roberts has missed the past four games because of a sore groin, but coach Michel Therrien said this afternoon that Roberts isn't playing because Therrien doesn't want to alter a winning lineup.Roberts participated in the Penguins' game-day skate with no apprent difficulty.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-a...p&type=lgnsMinor league hockey player caught streaking37 minutes ago Buzz Up PrintSCRANTON, Pa. (AP)—The captain of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins was charged with indecent exposure after a police officer saw him running naked on a downtown street early Sunday, and a teammate was arrested for public drunkenness.Nathan Smith told the officer he acted on a bet.Officials said Smith, a center for the AHL team, was charged with misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure, open lewdness and disorderly conduct, as well as public drunkenness. He was released on $10,000 bail.Penguins forward Ryan Stone was charged with public drunkenness.“I would like to apologize to the people of Northeast Pennsylvania, my teammates, and to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Pittsburgh Penguins organizations,” Smith said in a statement. “I made an embarrassing and regrettable decision this weekend and understand I will face disciplinary action. My conduct was unacceptable and totally out of character—it will not happen again. I promise to do my best to win back your trust and support.”The team said it will take disciplinary action against Smith and Stone, both of whom spent time with the Pittsburgh Penguins this season. :club: