table talk and paying attention (q for daniel)

Hey Daniel (and anybody else that can relate),I've got this habit of chatting up all the people around me at the table. It just makes it seem more fun that way. I think you might know a little something about this.Anyway, my problem is that sometimes, I get a little bit to caught up and don't pay the proper attention that I should be paying. Not to get caught up in any details, but I've lost a quite a few chips by not knowing what the action was befor getting to me.What did you do starting out? Have you always been able to keep your concentration and chatter going at the same time or did you keep a low profile until you got to be a better player? I'd love to have the Phil Ivey look going for me at all times, but it's just not me...thanks

When TJ Cloutier is at a table he never shuts up. He always telling great stories and everyone listens. In the meantime, he is watching everything! The others get caught up in the story but TJ has his eye on the ball. You need to be who you are, but at the same time remember that your focus needs to be on the hands. If you can't do both, then you really need to cut down on the chit chat. I know of some other players who never shut up at the table, and it's one of the key reasons that they pretty much suck overall.

Welcome back Daniel :)Lol, seemed like you were gone foreverInteresting thoughts on TJ, he doesn't say much on TV

When TJ Cloutier is at a table he never shuts up.  He always telling great stories and everyone listens.  In the meantime, he is watching everything!  The others get caught up in the story but TJ has his eye on the ball.  You  need to be who you are, but at the same time remember that your focus needs to be on the hands.  If you can't do both, then you really need to cut down on the chit chat.  I know of some other players who never shut up at the table, and it's one of the key reasons that they pretty much suck overall.
Thanks dude. I think I'm going to shut up now (at the tables) until I can learn to concentrate and talk at the same time.
When TJ Cloutier is at a table he never shuts up.  He always telling great stories and everyone listens.  In the meantime, he is watching everything!  The others get caught up in the story but TJ has his eye on the ball.  You  need to be who you are, but at the same time remember that your focus needs to be on the hands.  If you can't do both, then you really need to cut down on the chit chat.  I know of some other players who never shut up at the table, and it's one of the key reasons that they pretty much suck overall.
Thanks dude. I think I'm going to shut up now (at the tables) until I can learn to concentrate and talk at the same time.
I have studied daniel for a LONG time (big suprise huh?) And reading his old journal entries I came across this a lot, so I've implemented it in my game, I was unable to do it @ limit poker when I began (having not memorized the SSHE Chart) but now that everything is pretty much automatic I'm able to do the same, it sbest to start up the chats with the players who are already loose, as those quite rocks are going to pretty much stay that way.