Phil Helmuth, What A Baby

He does have 10 World Series of Poker Bracelets. He has been playing for 22 years and made 20 million dollars off reading people. He is the best No-Limit Texas Hold'em player in the world.Are those not enough credentials?:club:
...and Donald Trump is a Billionaire......they're both a long way away from earing my respect as men.
He does have 10 World Series of Poker Bracelets. He has been playing for 22 years and made 20 million dollars off reading people. He is the best No-Limit Texas Hold'em player in the world.Are those not enough credentials?:club:
Actually anyone who doesn't believe this should watch some of the old WSOP telecasts from the '90s when there were no hole-card cams, and they would bring on Hellmuth and he would read everyone's hands blind - the commentary was also shot live at this time as opposed to being looped in later like it is now. It's pretty impressive to watch and really shows how skilled he is. One further note on Hellmuth. People need to realize that his skills also extend to the fact that he was one of the first poker players to realize the power of turning himself into a brand and marketing himself the way he does. He makes significant money off of endorsements, etc. and this is in large part due to the fact that he's well known and brings in ratings. The fact that people hate him is incidental as long as people are aware of him and know who he is. You have to give him some credit for that.

I :club: Phil / F the haters :)For the people saying that was an act, that's not true. He might play it up a bit more for the cameras, but he is pretty much the same person with no cameras around. I have friends that are complete jackasses from time to time, but that doesn't change the fact that they are my friends. Phil can obv get extremely out of line, but besides that character flaw (which is born from an intense competitive nature), he is about as good a poker 'role model' for any wannabe tournament player that there is. He's been successful over a long period of time, he's found a way to make money outside of poker winnings, and he lives a balanced, healthy lifestyle. From what I've been told (no not by Phil :D ), he's a great father, husband, and friend, so I'm a little less put off by his antics then I am by half the degenerates that frequent the circuit.

Actually anyone who doesn't believe this should watch some of the old WSOP telecasts from the '90s when there were no hole-card cams, and they would bring on Hellmuth and he would read everyone's hands blind - the commentary was also shot live at this time as opposed to being looped in later like it is now. It's pretty impressive to watch and really shows how skilled he is. One further note on Hellmuth. People need to realize that his skills also extend to the fact that he was one of the first poker players to realize the power of turning himself into a brand and marketing himself the way he does. He makes significant money off of endorsements, etc. and this is in large part due to the fact that he's well known and brings in ratings. The fact that people hate him is incidental as long as people are aware of him and know who he is. You have to give him some credit for that.
Exactly, how many other poker players have their own logo? Not a website logo, but a personal logo. Phil is a brand. His antics are mildly annoying, but really they're just good entertainment.

I'll get back on this...I stopped watching partly because it was painful to see those other efftards wind Phil up. Clearly they were trying to put him on tilt. Sheikhy is a knob and Huck Seed was a sneaky b.itch about the whole episode. Also, Gus appeared to be trying to be a ****, rather than staying laid back as he often appears to be. As a person/player who has a similar competitive streak to Phil (minus the huge skill), I also resent people trying to wind me up on purpose.

Doesn't give him an excuse to be a jerkoff, and throw fits and think he is better than everyone else.