I really wasn't sure at all how people would recieve what I wrote, but man, it was overwhelmingly positive. It made me feel great about my decision to press send. In reading some of the posts I was really, really, moved. Hearing people talk about how they too, have felt a little bit lost and that reading my blog helped them reconnect is worth ALL, or any negative backlash I could recieve. It helped remind me of the position that I've been put in on this Earth and how I can be a better person just by sharing what's real. In hindsight, this trip to Australia that went "all wrong" couldn't have ended any better.

I really wasn't sure at all how people would recieve what I wrote, but man, it was overwhelmingly positive. It made me feel great about my decision to press send. In reading some of the posts I was really, really, moved. Hearing people talk about how they too, have felt a little bit lost and that reading my blog helped them reconnect is worth ALL, or any negative backlash I could recieve. It helped remind me of the position that I've been put in on this Earth and how I can be a better person just by sharing what's real. In hindsight, this trip to Australia that went "all wrong" couldn't have ended any better.
DN, thank you for continually sharing your "life journey" with is in such an intimate way. I would be doing you a disservice as a fellow follower of Christ if I didn't stand up and encourage you in your time of need. We (members of community) may never meet or have a personal one-on-one conversation but we always want to be nothing but a support system. You do so much for the FCP community that it is our pleasure to do whatever we can to encourage, celebrate, or lament with you in whatever situation you may be facing. God continually bless you and keep you close to His heart as you walk with Him and put Him first. God bless.
DN, thank you for continually sharing your "life journey" with is in such an intimate way. I would be doing you a disservice as a fellow follower of Christ if I didn't stand up and encourage you in your time of need. We (members of community) may never meet or have a personal one-on-one conversation but we always want to be nothing but a support system. You do so much for the FCP community that it is our pleasure to do whatever we can to encourage, celebrate, or lament with you in whatever situation you may be facing. God continually bless you and keep you close to His heart as you walk with Him and put Him first. God bless.
Ditto.Best always Daniel...and thanks for everything. :club:
Sometimes, you go all-in on a karma draw, and you hit it :club::D :D :D :D Thanks again for keeping us posted and sharing your thoughts and feelings, Daniel.
This it what seperates your blog from other "poker" blogs. Your blog at times is extremely deep and is always well writen and thought out. Thanks for sharing.
Definitely...whether one agrees with the subject matter or not, DN's sincerity is what puts his blog leagues above the rest.
This it what seperates your blog from other "poker" blogs. Your blog at times is extremely deep and is always well writen and thought out. Thanks for sharing.
I think this particular blog entry by Daniel has markedly upped the level of this blog, which was already well above anything that is out there in the poker world. The 'opening the soul' aspect of his entries is the reason I keep reading.

Daniel: Your January 16th entry was pretty impressive because you chose to reveal really personal issues: God, your missing your new wife, the downside of being a celebrity where everyone wants time and a piece of you. It was a real personal journal issue. Most people do put on public face which is simply a mask over private feelings. Your tv persona is far more engaging than say, Ivey, Sean S., heck - virtually all the guys - the only guys who are as entertaining as you are Lindgrin, Gus Hansen and the Phil the Unibomber. All in all, I am pretty impressed and enjoy reading your blogs. Spirituality and poker are concepts that rarely get discussed in the same breath. However, I am curious, Doyle Brunson has written on his finding god and how that helped in his life. WHat influence, if any, did Doyle's findign god have on you?

I haven't followed Daniel's blogs as often as I used to. I've known Daniel for a long time now. Obviously the more popular he has become, the less contact I have with him in general. However in the last year we have managed to stay in contact often enough. Primarily because I bug him with random questions, jokes, etc via instant messenger. What many people don't know are two things. Over the years he has been very kind and generous to poker players as a whole in one way or another. Second, and this is not of great importance to anyone but myself and Daniel. But as a Jewish person, I had trouble relating to his new found faith in God. I would see him so happy, and felt like I was out of the loop because I was Jewish. One day I spoke with him and his wife about their beliefs. As it turned out, most of what they said made sense to me. Lori even made a joke that I didn't have to become a Jew for Jesus or anything like that, but in speaking with her, she had an amazing sense of hope and happiness. Two qualities that are not often readily found in the poker world. I wish that I could say that after our talk, I began to have a better relationship with God. But that is not the case. I chose, like many people do. To turn to God when I needed him. When there was a crisis in my life. Turning to him for purely selfish reasons. I wanted to take this time to thank Daniel and Lori for all of the wonderful things they have done for me. And I honestly believe that a happy and focused Daniel can do whatever he sets his mind to. I wish him the best. And am glad to have him in my life in one way or another.Steve

Your last 2 blogs have been fantastic. A window into how hard it is to be a pro poker player in the Aussie blog and how hard it can be to be a human being in the God blog. Always write what you believe, it's your blog. :club:

Daniel, I have read your blog for some time, but this is the first time I've submitted to your forum. I was prompted in response to your last blog entry, which was absolutely awesome. I have always been very impressed by you not just as a player but as a person. However I was really impressed with your blog entry, especially as a fellow Christian. Vulnerability often comes at a heavy price, and your willingness to show that much openess and honesty is remarkable. You're a great example of living life to the fullest, but with character and integrity. Keep it up and God bless!!!

Amen and Amen!!!! Daniel, I dont know you nor have I read your blog previous to yesterday. I play on pokerstars as I cant get FCP to download properly or something as a U.S. customer. You have been my favorite poker player for about two years. You solidified that position when I found out you were a christian a few months ago in a poker magazine, and your blog I am useless blog impacted my life by pure chance. I was simply going to cardplayer.com for an odds calculator and happened to scroll down and saw your name for the blog. As a person that has been struggling with my own relationship with God, as well as sitting here playing hours of online poker and really not reading my bible, or studying or praying, I needed something to jolt me back to reality. As I wrote yesterday it shook me up! You have blessed me and my family just with that little input into your world in a way you may never know, but it is proof (once again) that the Lord uses people in his way for his good.I have been a christian for many years, but from time to time have the infamous Matusow blow up in my relationship with God. I mean this literally as sometimes I have a problem with forgiveness. This problem is forgiving myself mainly which probably comes from vanity as I expect to be perfect, while knowing all along that won't happen. Anyway as a proud, selfish person, I tend to allow the enemy to use that against me and I become not only less effective for Christ, but alltogether useless as I have been for the past year almost. Seeing another christian struggle with all the pressures you have has at least brought me to my senses and this morning I am reading my bible and praying earnestly rather then out of need for the first time in months. I will make it a point to get involved with a fellowship as I have isolated myself from one for some time. I know this is your forum, and your blog, but I have written this to let you know that you are making a difference in the kingdom, and something as open and honest as your wrote does impact many, including those who just get there by accident like me.Again God Bless and thanksBob Cook (babkanoosh pokerstars name)

I can't help but think of the story of Sampson and the cutting of the hair etc.Hope it turns out better for you, as Samson was imprisoned, eyes gouged out and then crushed to death.Good luck

I can't help but think of the story of Sampson and the cutting of the hair etc.Hope it turns out better for you, as Samson was imprisoned, eyes gouged out and then crushed to death.Good luck
But Paul shaved his head to keep a commitment....
Paul, having remained many days longer, took leave of the brethren and put out to sea for Syria, and with him were Priscilla and Aquila In Cenchrea he had his hair cut, for he was keeping a vow.
What many people don't know are two things. Over the years he has been very kind and generous to poker players as a whole in one way or another. Second, and this is not of great importance to anyone but myself and Daniel. But as a Jewish person, I had trouble relating to his new found faith in God. I would see him so happy, and felt like I was out of the loop because I was Jewish. One day I spoke with him and his wife about their beliefs. As it turned out, most of what they said made sense to me. Lori even made a joke that I didn't have to become a Jew for Jesus or anything like that, but in speaking with her, she had an amazing sense of hope and happiness. Two qualities that are not often readily found in the poker world. I wish that I could say that after our talk, I began to have a better relationship with God. But that is not the case. I chose, like many people do. To turn to God when I needed him. When there was a crisis in my life. Turning to him for purely selfish reasons.
No reason for that to stay present-tense.
But Paul shaved his head to keep a commitment....
And ended up shipwrecked, snake bit and imprisoned before marytered.But I think that would be good company

I lurked these forums for a very long time but your latest blog entry forced me to register so I could reply.John Juanda was asked a question along these lines once on a Full Tilt chat. And his reaction was "Poker isn't always the most fulfilling career..." And considering he's a millionaire he obviously didn't mean financially. Poker tends to be an inherently vain game. And unfortunately it can lead to bad habits in the rest of our lives. Its always important to maintain our egos.I could just relate so much to your blog entry. I started this year playing professionally. I wanted to do it for a while and i decided 2007 would be the official beginning. Its a little different from what your goal was but I think we put ourselves in the exact same mindset. And it wasn't until this week that I realized I wasn't going about it in a proper way. I lost a lot of perspective. Especially spiritual perspective. I want to congratulate your bravery and for being honest with yourself and the rest of the world. I tip my hat to a fellow (bald,) vegan believer :club:"A city built on a high hill and fortified cannot fall, nor can it be hidden"I'd say that's worth remembering

Just my two cents really and to echo many of the positive comments already posted here.I have to applaud you Daniel for your honesty and being so open about your current situation. It looks like you've already taken the first step to getting back to where you want to be by admitting how you're feeling right now.One of my thoughts - remember, you've set yourself many ambitious goals for 2007, but you can't complete them all at once. You can only play in - and win - one tournament at a time. Sometimes having such a big target to shoot for can affect you in the short term and you lose sight of how to achieve that goal - bit by bit.Get back home, surround yourself with the people you care for and who care about you, get yourself back into surroundings you're comfortable with, maybe take a bit of time out. Hopefully it won't be too long before we see the laughing, bubbly and inspirational Daniel Negreanu who enjoys his poker so much. Good luck mate, stay positive.

It helped remind me of the position that I've been put in on this Earth and how I can be a better person just by sharing what's real. In hindsight, this trip to Australia that went "all wrong" couldn't have ended any better.
"God works in mysterious ways." ... Or as one of my favorite Garth Brooks songs goes, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."While I am confident that you would have eventually found your way again regardless of your poker outcomes, maybe it would have taken you longer to get back on the right spiritual track had you won in Australia.I'm happy to read that you are feeling a little better today. And the responses generated by your 1/16 blog reminded me of how most of the forum regulars really are good people deep down inside. That's a "happy ending" for a lot of us in the FCP community.Take care,llou