Without God Im Useless Blog

Daniel,I love to read your blogs when you talk about what is real and important in life. It takes a lot of courage in this day and time to first admit to being Christian and second to admit that life itself is dependent on a close personal relationship with God. You worry about sounding preachy and I'm sure some people will take it that way. The Bible says to expect that I will be persecuted for my belief. I know that has been true at times in my life but I owe it to God to put myself out there with my belief and my dependence anyway. I can only tell you that I'm both happy and sad for you right now. I realize that probably sounds strange. I'm sad because you are depressed and lonely but most of all I'm happy because it has brought you to a point of realization and givin you a desire to share your true needs. I think this is just the beginning of happier times for you. "With God all things are possible." "I can do anything through Christ Jesus who strengthens me."You may win or you may lose at poker. I realize this is what you do for a living and I don't mean to trivialize it. I just know that if God is first in my life - no matter what happens - I will be okay. I have the source of all strength and comfort when my relationship with God is strong and vibrant.I could identify so strongly with the things you said. I also find that the person I need the most and know can sustain me-God-is the first person I let go of when I start to feel okay. It's in my brokeness and my frailities that I get back on my knees and renew my faith and belief. Your confession makes me look hard at my priorities and do some rearranging too. I'm grateful to you for that. I too am useless without God. I'm grateful for your courage in declaring your need and your dependence. I pray for contentment to flood into your life from above.Please take good care of yourself and please keep writing what's in your heart. Some of us are desperate to hear it and feel the warmth and depth in your sharing.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"God is important to me. My life is better when I make God the center of it. When I don't, regardless of any tournament success or accolades, I just can't be happy unless I feel like I'm at a good place with God."in the end, that's it. if your life is better with God, who is anyone to tell u different?

if you believe in god he will be with you always.Dont worry about those who do not believe.I think everyone battles depression.Probably too much of one thing is bad for you.EVERYONE FEELS ALONE AT one time or another.remember to have fun.How was the journey of getting to where you are now.when is it enough.If you had all the titles and money in the world would it be better or worse.Keep the faith ,pray for help and trust in him.Those who do not blieve will eventually meet him in the end.as long as he is in your heart .Good luck

As I said in a post about yesterday's blog -- I much prefer the blog when it is real and talks honestly about both the ups and downs of life than when it is filled with self-promotional bulls***.While today's blog is not a a "happy" one, it continues the real and honest communication Daniel has with the FCP regulars. That's why many of us come here -- and that's why many of us respect Daniel. Like the best writers, he doesn't shy away from the difficult issues. He has a good heart as well as a good mind and we are lucky in that he chooses to share a little of himself with us -- even the parts that get depressed and off-track sometimes.As a nurse, I tend to look at things as being either healthy or not healthy. Today's blog seemed very healthy to me. The patient seems to have turned the corner and is starting to recover. He has a good combination of inner strength, a loving family, a network of caring friends, and a large supportive community of well-wishers on FCP who is willing to listen 24/7. It will take a while ... but he will be spiritually stronger in the long run. The healing process is also one of growth and enrichment. I look forward to seeing where this leads Daniel and suspect that many of us will grow and enrich our lives along with him.

Once again ....your heartfelt humility and openess are greatly appreciated! We all need to take a stop and reflect on what is truly important in this thing called "Life". Thanks for stepping out.

DN, Im glad you pressed "send" after all. Great post, it made me write my first forum post ever!I don't belivede in God and probably never will, but I don't think writing about what's important in your life is preaching anyway.Though none of us is leading a life like yours I think your issues are common but nevertheless serious.Working out, eating right, getting enough sleep and good bankroll management works for me... usuallyBut lately my game has been a bit weak, even though I knew what I had to do (bet river/check/fold/push/stop playing) I consistently made the wrong decision.It got me thinking. What am I doing with my life? Im playing poker and studying. Why? To make a lot of money. What do I need the money for? Living life without worries about needing money. But all I do is think about making more money... and that struck me! My sole purpose of life right now is to make money, that made me feel sick! seriously!What I really wanted to do was just to be happy and spending time with my friends and family makes me happy, not being able to buy a new fancy car.Sure you need money and sure you it's nice to have nice stuff, but my point is don't forget your goal! It sounds to me like you partly forgot what was important. Ask yourself why your 2007 goal is to be the best poker player ever? It's not like you need the money or the fame. A few years back I used to play a lot of computergames and I was always the best at whatever I played, but I quit trying to be nr.1 because I realised that it took up all my time and it never really made me feel true happiness. Instead I started fishing with a good friend, reading good books and it made me feel much better.Somehow I lost track of what I learned as a kid and started playing poker only to win money and studying to make even more. I am quite sure that's what made me a much worse player, I startede playing against the odds because I really didn't care I just needed to win the pot to feel better. But once I changed my goal from "winning" back to "being happy, having fun and being able to look back with pride" my game turned around as well.Stay focused on what's really important to you, what makes you happy and saticfied with your life and I'm sure your game will be back to normal in no time!

Do you know what is really sad? .... The number of people who seem to think that Daniel is just a little down because he made a few poker mistakes. Now that's sad -- and dense, very dense.

Daniel, I've often wondered if poker conflicts with belief and devotion to God. The game itself is so cutthroat, which is like any other game or sport, I suppose. But the difference with poker is that people can develop terrible gambling problems and ruin their lives. The object is to take another person's money -- regardless of the problems in their lives. Can god and gambling be reconciled? At any rate, I liked your blog. Very thoughtful. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Daniel, I've often wondered if poker conflicts with belief and devotion to God. The game itself is so cutthroat, which is like any other game or sport, I suppose. But the difference with poker is that people can develop terrible gambling problems and ruin their lives. The object is to take another person's money -- regardless of the problems in their lives. Can god and gambling be reconciled? At any rate, I liked your blog. Very thoughtful. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Good point to bring up. That also came to my mind when reading the blog entry, the inherent conflict between the lessons of love, understanding and compassion in religion and the Bible... and the cutthroat approach that is necessary to succeed in poker.If I absolutely had to make a point either way, I'd say anyone who plays knows what the score is, how people are going to play, and how they will need to play to win. I don't think anyone worth their salt would hold it against Daniel as a person if, as a player, he went for the jugular and busted them. Players understand what the game is about, and that people aren't necessarily that cutthroat once they step away from the table.

Im an atheist, but I believe that whatever helps you to become a better person (as long as that does'nt involve bringing someone else down) is good for you. So it seems like being a christian helps you realize when you are not being the kind of guy you would like. I go to a christian school and I see people who are big hipocrites and use religion for whatever purpose they see fit, and really not being true to what religion should be which is bringing people together and making them better people.And it seems like a lot of stuff that has gone around you lately and some of your actions you have seemed a little eager to get into arguments criticizing other players and being quick to jump at anyone that says anything about you. I have a serious girlfriend who I live far away from when I'm in school and I know that is very stressful also. What I'm trying to say is the self inflection is good, do whatever you can to get your head in the right place, and don't worry about what people say or what other people do. Be happy with who you are and where you are at, don't always try and impress people or look to prove yourself as you really are a good person and of course a great poker player. Be yourself and be content for having a lovely family (in Tdot and vegas) and enjoy Mushu Lori and your mom everyday as you never know what the future will hold.peace and best wishes

Sorry to be the "Devil's Advocate", but I am very spiritual, but not real religious. I don't think Daniel is missing God, he is missing his comfort zone.Mom is not there, Lori is not there, Mushu is not there. Daniel is still in touch with God, but he is out of his zone. I am sure DN and GOD still speak, but whenever DN looks for any other "secirity blanket" it is gone. I spent 11 years in the Navy, almost died twice, but God was ALWAYS there. I missed my Mom, Wife, and brothers & sisters, but never doubted God being there.

Daniel,I hope you get a chance to read this. I appreciate what you wrote in your Blog about your relationship to God. You are in my prayers.I'm also glad you mentioned your wife in the Blog. I wish all the best for you, Lori, your mom and your dog.Bruce

Wow Daniel, that blog came out of left field man! Totally unexpected.....from the "looks" of things, it seemed like you were on top of the world, getting ready to destroy all poker players in your path in 2007. I guess you are in fact human. Anyway, it was a great read, and really hit home for a lot of readers I'm sure (me included).On a side note, why do I get this feeling like DNs going to take down Tunica......All the best in 2007!Morpheus

"Without God..." you're a human being! Here it is the 21st century and people are still believing (with blind faith) in ancient folklore and mythology! Guess what? We now know that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth. We know that volcanoes are not "fires brought up from the ground by god to punish someone". We know that leprosy is not cause by demonic possesion ("god" doesn't). etc. etc. etc. etc.Enlightenment is a GOOD thing. It's time for people to stop blaming natural phenomena on superstition. It's time for people to grow up and come to grips with basic science. It's time for people to stop acting like ancient folks who thought that lightening was a light sent down by god. etc. etc.Good grief people. Grow up and get real.

"Without God..." you're a human being! Here it is the 21st century and people are still believing (with blind faith) in ancient folklore and mythology! Guess what? We now know that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth. We know that volcanoes are not "fires brought up from the ground by god to punish someone". We know that leprosy is not cause by demonic possesion ("god" doesn't). etc. etc. etc. etc.Enlightenment is a GOOD thing. It's time for people to stop blaming natural phenomena on superstition. It's time for people to grow up and come to grips with basic science. It's time for people to stop acting like ancient folks who thought that lightening was a light sent down by god. etc. etc.Good grief people. Grow up and get real.
Virtually every post in this thread was a positive one. There wasn't an aggressive tone about any of them, whether the poster was a believer or an atheist. Yours is very different. I don't even want to have the "Does God exist" debate, but honestly, re-read what you wrote and compare it to the posts made by others. There is hate and anger in your words. I know, because I sometimes write that way as well. Telling grown men who have a faith to, "Grow up and get real," is rather condesending don't you think? Hey, you might be right, but you don't help your cause one bit by talking to people that way.

How many times has a traveller been far from home and felt that life isn't all it should be. I've been at my lowest points in situations like that. There's a reason that the Gideon Society puts all those free Bibles in hotel rooms. People start looking for help when they're feeling low.Some people turn to the Bible. Some order a hooker and some blow and let that carry their blues away. Others just go to the bar and have a few drinks. Some do all of the above (usually in reverse order).Me, I just ride it out until I get home. I always feel better when I get home -- Daniel will too.

Hey, I usually just read your blog and try and watch you playing Poker as much as possible, but your latest post has inspired me to post something,I am from England, and the way in which we treat religion is so unbelievably different to America. For instance, our politicians never really mention God, their faith is deemed to be private and irrelevant to whether or not they will do a good job. Religion isnt in the fabric of our society as it once was, and as it is now in America. I just wanted to point that out as a background to my views, I am not saying whether that is a good or bad thing, its just the way it is.I went to Catholic primary school, a Catholic Secondary school and a Catholic sixth form (basically I was in Catholic run education from 6 until I was 18 and went Uni). However, I am an atheist, and so are my parents. I went to Catholic education because even though I dont believe in God in the same way, and neither do my parents, I believe in living by a code, by a set of common sense rules. The only difference between myself and any person with faith is the belief in what happens to us after we die, and as we are alive right now, why argue about that?My point is, and I am sure you know this Daniel, is that those without faith do not think those with faith should grow up. During my years in secondary school I would have long debates with people about "how could you believe this, your intelligent!", looking back on it now it was childish and offensive. There are times I wish I COULD have faith, that I could believe that someone was looking out for me, but in a strange way it is the same struggle that Daniel is having, but in reverse. I am not entirely sure what I am trying to say, I just felt an urge that I had to make a comment. Some might say that it was God who inspired me to write, and maybe it was. Maybe that sub-concious part of us all, that part that KNOWS when we are thinking bad things and feels guilty, that part that KNOWS you should spen more time with your family, maybe that part of us is God. Its just a difference between externalising and internalising that force.Anyway, I saw lots of people who had faith reply in a friendly, helpful, uplifting manner, and the one "non-believer" came across as childish, hateful and angry. I just wanted to get across that we arent all like that. That even if we dont believe in God our hearts can still be filled with love, kindess and compassion for a fellow man.Good Luck Daniel, may you find the help you need...K

Daniel:It's sounding to me like you're at HALFTIME in your life. Perhaps you're ready to enter your "second half" of life where you're more concerned about SIGNIFICANCE than SUCCESS. In your "first half", you were completely driven for success - achieving the highest levels in poker and other things.Now it sounds like you're ready to focus on SIGNIFICANCE - not that success isn't important anymore, just that you want more out of your life. There is an awesome book called "Halftime" - it's a great book that I just finished reading that talks about some of these things. It helped me get some real goals on paper for my "2nd half" and to create a personal mission statement. I read this book in conjunction w/ a men's group from my church. It sounds like you're at the same place in life as me. This book will encourage you greatly AND it's an easy read. You can probably get through it in a few hours.I'm proud of you bro!Jeff

Nice blog Daniel,I never post but read your blog quite often. Just in case you don't know your faith has been obvious to many of us. It's great that you're at a point in your life where getting closer is important. Read his word and do what it says. Get better at following every year.Here's a link to a website that has helped me go to the next level in my spiritual life. www.wayofthemaster.com Do you have a PO Box because I would like to send you some really good uplifting DVDs.

I was also very encouraged to read your blog and see that you are refocusing on God and making him your top priority again. Your openness is something that is pretty rare in today's world, and to know that a fellow believer is struggling, but that with God's help he is able to get back on track is really encouraging to me, as when I stuggle it is nice to know that God can be there for me as he was for others. I'm glad to hear that you are doing better, and I wish you all the best for the rest of this year.

Really great blog, and alot of great responses with useful information that I think is really helpful. When I first started in my business I attended a coaching session, and one thing I got out of it that has stuck with me all these years was to "stick to your knitting", to stick to what you know, get back inside your self and do what you know best. This seems to help me at times when life gets to hectic or to crazy, when I need to get back to basics. If re-focusing on god will help you get to that place, get going!!! and stick to your knitting, Good luck and really great blog. Thank you for sharing.

when you lose faith in everything you are pretty much alone in this world which will leave you very jaded. Its not only about looking at positives its also about appreciating the positives you have in life, and giving thanks.Read these lyrics by John Lennon this is a man that had a life many aspire to have.

God is a Concept by whichwe measure our painI'll say it againGod is a Concept by whichwe measure our painI don't believe in magicI don't believe in I-chingI don't believe in BibleI don't believe in TarotI don't believe in HitlerI don't believe in JesusI don't believe in KennedyI don't believe in BuddhaI don't believe in MantraI don't believe in GitaI don't believe in YogaI don't believe in KingsI don't believe in ElvisI don't believe in ZimmermanI don't believe in BeatlesI just believe in me...and that realityThe dream is overWhat can I say?the Dream is OverYesterdayI was the DreamweaverBut now I'm rebornI was the WalrusBut now I'm Johnand so dear friendsyou'll just have to carry onThe Dream is over JOHN LENNON - "God" lyrics

This is no way to continue life as it breeds more hatred and no spirituality, you don't always need to see to believe sometimes you must feel in within.

when you lose faith in everything you are pretty much alone in this world which will leave you very jaded. Its not only about looking at positives its also about appreciating the positives you have in life, and giving thanks.Read these lyrics by John Lennon this is a man that had a life many aspire to have.

God is a Concept by whichwe measure our painI'll say it againGod is a Concept by whichwe measure our painI don't believe in magicI don't believe in I-chingI don't believe in BibleI don't believe in TarotI don't believe in HitlerI don't believe in JesusI don't believe in KennedyI don't believe in BuddhaI don't believe in MantraI don't believe in GitaI don't believe in YogaI don't believe in KingsI don't believe in ElvisI don't believe in ZimmermanI don't believe in BeatlesI just believe in me...and that realityThe dream is overWhat can I say?the Dream is OverYesterdayI was the DreamweaverBut now I'm rebornI was the WalrusBut now I'm Johnand so dear friendsyou'll just have to carry onThe Dream is over JOHN LENNON - "God" lyrics

This is no way to continue life as it breeds more hatred and no spirituality, you don't always need to see to believe sometimes you must feel in within.

sorry to interrupt the religious feel-good fest, but that is just asinine emotionalistic nonsense. lack of faith-based belief in one's life does not intrinsically breed hatred any more than having faith does. in fact it's not hard to make a strong case that faith has historically bred MUCH more hatred than neutral objectivity has.