Bad Beats, Bad Plays, And Losing Huge Pots

I asked Daniel this same question, but figured I'd bring it to general to see how others feel about it.How do you take hands that you feel you played badly or hands that you lost a lot of money on and put them out of your thoughts???I find myself rehashing bad plays or bad beats over and over again in my head when I'm trying to fall asleep that night and it = insomnia Anybody have thoughts on this?

buy a stuffed penguin and learn to sew. tear the head off it to alleviate the initial rage, then use sewing it back on to calm yourself for sleep. i call my pokerstars one frankenguin.

Bad beats are part of the game and you have to accept them, the only thing that can console you when you get one is that you played your hand right. If you didn't play your hand right then don't beat yourself up, just learn from the mistake and try not to do it again. What else can you do?

I prefer this old Indian saying. Repeat after me:"Owa-Ta-Goo-Siam"Say it out loud, faster and faster untill it finally sinks in.... :club:

In a very LAGy cash game after a tournament... mainly 2 very LAG players who I played a lot of pots with, the following occurances took place:I had 180$ with about 1 orbit around the table left before I was going to call it a night when I got A-A. I was able to get it all in preflop against the two LAGS... who both had an ace in their hand... yet both mananged to crack my hand.So to recap the night:A-A all in pre against two Ax hands loses... 180 to 0rebuy for 45$ Double up to 115 with 6-5o calling preflopmy 9-5o donk push pre holds up in a 3way pot with the LAGS... 115 to 345$I then lose all my chips with KK vs AA, and Q-Q vs A-A in consecutive hands; I was holding the inferior pair.

since this guy /\ /\ /\ /\ gets to tell his bad beats, i think mine relates to the op.like 4 or 5 years ago i was playing in a home game.i had pocket 8s. flop: 2,8,10. i bet, everyone folds, i showed my hand. everyone looks at me like i'm an idiot. there's one guy who hasn't called yet, and now he's seen my hand. he elects to call.turn: 9. i bet, he shoves, i call. he shows 9,10. the deck peeled off a nine for the last $40 i had to my name at the time. i couldn't sleep and had nightmares about the hand all night. it still ruffles my feathers to this day that some idiot called tryingoutplay me knowing he'd need runner runner to win.anyway, i find that if you play within your bankroll they go away.

I asked Daniel this same question, but figured I'd bring it to general to see how others feel about it.How do you take hands that you feel you played badly or hands that you lost a lot of money on and put them out of your thoughts???I find myself rehashing bad plays or bad beats over and over again in my head when I'm trying to fall asleep that night and it = insomnia Anybody have thoughts on this?
I just clicked on this thread because I knew that your avatar is so hot.Didn't read anything, just stared for a moment.Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.Good luck.
I just quit earlier than you and hit that chick in your avatar a couple times before you're done donking it up. It's been working for me. What do you think?
In a very LAGy cash game after a tournament... mainly 2 very LAG players who I played a lot of pots with, the following occurances took place:I had 180$ with about 1 orbit around the table left before I was going to call it a night when I got A-A. I was able to get it all in preflop against the two LAGS... who both had an ace in their hand... yet both mananged to crack my hand.So to recap the night:A-A all in pre against two Ax hands loses... 180 to 0rebuy for 45$ Double up to 115 with 6-5o calling preflopmy 9-5o donk push pre holds up in a 3way pot with the LAGS... 115 to 345$I then lose all my chips with KK vs AA, and Q-Q vs A-A in consecutive hands; I was holding the inferior pair.
The one time that stands out in my mind where I had the hardest time sleeping was when I was playing at this pool hall. I usually play .10/.25 online like 9 tables (low stakes, I know) but when I play live I'll Play 1/2 NL at this pool hall. Anyway one night I sat down at the table and bought in for 100$ and when the blinds got to me I threw in my 2 bucks, and everyone was like... you owe 3 more, we're playing 2/5NL at this table. I was a little surprised, but whatever I paid it. Very first hand I get 99 and trip up on the flop to win a nice sized pot. Next hand AA with two people putting a lot of money in preflop, I bet 40$ in the dark before the flop and after the flop some dude goes all in on a flush draw and I bust him. JJ wins me a lot of money like 5 hands after that. So after a few hours of playing awesome poker and making some great bluffs I find myself up around 400$. (Remember, I usually play .10/.25 so this still seems like a fair amout of money to me) Then This guy switches to our table who I have played with before and I know he is terrible. This night alone whle I was waiting for a seat I watched him donk all his money off by bluffing with absolute nothing or bad plays, and he had rebought about 8 times. I was about to cash out, but when I saw him sit down I figured I would stick around and get some of the money that he likes to just throw around. He makes a few stupid plays and has to rebuy a couple of times. Then he triples up by getting incredibly lucky and cracking another players really good hand. Then I get dealt AQ. I raise it preflop and he calls. Flop comes down A82 with two hearts. I bet out 40 and he goes all in. Now, if this were any other player I probably could have layed this down. Thinking maybe they would have 22, 88, A8s, A2s or whatever, but This guy loves going all in on flush draws. It's about 200 more to call and after thinking long and hard I finally call. He flips over AK! (my heart sunk) No help comes. Everyone else at the table agrees that against that guy, they would have had their money in so fast. The very next hand I get QQ. I raise preflop, The same dude calls, another guy raises, I push the rest in because at this point it isn't that much and the original caller reraises all in for 200-300 more and the other guy calls. Cards get flipped up and I'm up against KK and the guy who had beat me in the pot just before this has AA. The flop brings 3 diamonds, and I was the only one with a diamond, so I had hopes, but two blanks followed. The kid who was absolutely terrible won it all and started freaking out just screaming and jumping around (Everyone was looking at him and asked if he had never won a pot before?) My Heart sank and I leave dejected. I get to replay the hands over and over in my head for a few weeks and not get the best sleep the next few days. The thing is, that most of the time my play would have been correct.So to recap, I was up 400 and was going to cash out til this really bad player sits down and I stay to bust him, but on two consecutive hands he ends up having the one or two hands he would need to have me beat and I lose it all. Moral of the story, Even the really bad players get good hands sometimes.

everybody asks this at some point, wanting to know some magic answer to make everything easy. truth is there is no magic answer, you learn to deal with it or you don't. stop looking for shortcuts, yes it hurts and yes its hard to take, but you either learn to take it or don't expect much more out of poker than entertainment.

Slam my head into the keyboard and break another space bar, thats for a bad beat or suckout.If i have played a bad hand, then its my own fault, so can't blame anyone. Just learn from what you have done wrong.
fyp

How topical. I just busted out of a tourney on pocket aces. I was steamed.Not because I got bad beat, but because I jumped all-in on the turn, with a good sized stack (so there wasn't a huge sense of urgency), without having the absolute nuts. The flop had also missed me completely, but there I went playing those aces. The turn brought a K and the other guy had pocket K's for a set, so of course he called. No ace on the river, and g'bye. If I was gonna jump all in, I should have done it preflop or on the flop... but honestly, I shouldn't have jumped all-in at all. Talk about a poor, rash move, and I had been playing real well up to that point, betting into more flops, thus drawing more made hands and winning pots after slow cooking them, piling up the stack. I probably wouldn't have been so upset if this hadn't been the 3rd time in recent memory I had made the same mistake: needlessly betting this aggressively later in tourneys without the nuts, while holding a chip advantage.Basically, you cool off, relax and let it go, because you can always get something valuable from it: a lesson, an opportunity to see any mistakes you made and what to learn from them. I think this time, it smacked bad enough that I'm not going to forget now... I HOPE.

So to recap, I was up 400 and was going to cash out til this really bad player sits down and I stay to bust him, but on two consecutive hands he ends up having the one or two hands he would need to have me beat and I lose it all. Moral of the story, Even the really bad players get good hands sometimes.
Had 1100 at the 1/2 table two weeks in a row and left with 400 both times. one night, two consecutive villains had flush draws hit. other night, one villain had flush draw hit, another spiked trips on river. ggit happens.
Had 1100 at the 1/2 table two weeks in a row and left with 400 both times. one night, two consecutive villains had flush draws hit. other night, one villain had flush draw hit, another spiked trips on river. ggit happens.
Yeah.. thanks guys... I think it was just extra bad because I never play that high and because I was gonna cash out, but stayed just to get that guys money, but instead the exact opposite happened. Irony?

yeah. i had aces cracked by a guy holding AKs the other night in a live game for a pretty big preflop pot. he just couldn't fold it. it was the difference between a decent win and a small loss for the session, actually. i can get over beats pretty fast these days; i just say to myself, "it's ok. it's all one long game. sometimes you'll get this lucky, and most times they won't."i guess i've been noticing a problem, though: when i get it in good, i'm playing and losing a big pot if i take a beat, but if i'm gambling, i usually know it and if i'm in a marginal situation the downside isn't as big because i have the player covered and the pot isn't as big. therefore, the losses i sustain when i take a beat aren't actually offset by the ones i'm doling out based on how good/bad i'm getting my money in vs. the size of the pot.so, you can also tell yourself that good players just lose more than bad players when it comes to taking beats. that helps with the sting of losing the big pots.