Slow Playing Aces.....

i kinda want to take a poll.......do you suggest never ever ever ever ever ever ever slow playing aces???seems like when ever i do someone flops a set....
I suggest it deep in tourneys with position when the blinds get huge after one raise and you feel they may fold preflop for a reraise but know a continuation bet is coming postflop. Maybe this should have been posted in the strategy forum?
Untrue. Actual answer: It depends, not only on the situation, but on what you mean by 'slow playing.'
+1Do you mean limping pre flop at a loose table? Then no.Checking from the BB when only 2 people limp in? Yes.Checking a flop of rags into a those 2 players? Yes.

IM All about slow rolling my aces early in position and deep in tournys i will smooth call everytime with them

yeah, this has been covered before...but limping with aces under the gun or very close to it can be powerful...i especially suggest it if you're table has been raising constantly and you can re-raise someone. it's also more powerful if stealing the blinds/antes has value and someone is bound to raise to try to steal. you don't want to go to a multi-way pot with a lot of players, and hopefully you catch a very ragged board and/or another ace if you do. peace y'all.jason

i kinda want to take a poll.......do you suggest never ever ever ever ever ever ever slow playing aces???seems like when ever i do someone flops a set....
you could've made this a poll-post. :PI try to avoid slowplaying them but I won't say that you should raise them 100% of the time. It all depends on the situation and the players at your table. If you're deep and several times you've seen the guy on the button make a big position raise when there's limpers, then you might be able to risk limping and re-stealing it preflop. It's still dangerous though because you limping could lead to a couple other limpers. In that case, the button may not try to steal it with multiple limpers, knowing he'll probably get at least one or two calls. Again, it all depends on the players at your table, the history of hands you've seen them play and what stage of the touranment you're at. If you limp and 3-4 people get to see the flop, I hope you have enough control to be able to lay them down if need be.

Yea, I should re-think that answer. What limits? Tourney? No-Limit? Loose Players? Tight players? But you should have a reason for it though. Check-Raise? Re-Raise?How many people do you wanna take along to the flop with AA? BB Special can ruin your day.

I don't play tournies, so this applies more to cash games. I read posting by DS on 2+2 a while back about the importance of randomizing your play in nl cash games. One way he suggested doing this is taking 1 combo of AA and not raising it pf. So for instance, you always raise or reraise AA pf unless you have AdAc. I think it's sound advice and I have incorporated this randomization method into my play.erac

i slow play aces alot more lately mainly when the blinds get high later in tourneys and my m is less than 10. if you are blessed with aces later in tourneys you deffinaty want to pick up more than just the blinds and antes. when i do this i do it knowing that i will commit all my chips later(if there is a raise after my limp i will ussually just go ahead and get all my chips in preflop). like daniel says sometimes you gotta let people catch up in a hand.

I've been getting annoyed with my aces lately. I've been playing .25/1 NL 6 handed and it seems like every time I raise with my aces i'm getting no action. But that is better than limping with aces getting a few callers. Have a uncoordinated board come you bet out and get re-raised and have no idea where you are at. I like to save this play for tables where people are going nuts with the raises for the most part. But i have no problem flat calling a raise with them sometimes.

If I'm in a tournament and it's at the all-in or fold stage I'll slow play aces or kings in early position because I know someone else is likely to go in with anything in late position. If I'm in late position I'll just shove because then it just looks like a steal.

LOLOLOL @ ppl who say don't slowplay Aces. There are many situations where it is correct to slowplay them, ie when blinds are high or you know your opponent is a bet monkey who will bet bet bet all the time. But generally, you'd tend to play them straightforward more often than slowplay.Another play that I've been doing over the past few weeks with AA in MTTs ($11-$33 buy-ins) is playing them super fast preflop to a raise. Say you have 30X BB and some dude opens for 3X BB and it's you next, consider moving all-in instantly instead of putting in the standard reraise to 9X or 10X BB. A lot of players are very willing to take flips and they will view your insta-shove as either AK or AQ. You'd be surprised at the frequency at which you will be called by small pairs.

I slow play them in tourney's all the time. If I'm at an aggro table I will limp with them(if I've been limping semi regularly) or make my standard raise with them. So many people just look to race and if they raise behind you and you jam they will call thinking you are on a small pair and there A10>AK or 88>KK is good. If I'm at a table full of limpers or small raise lag players I will play them fast.