So it's 3am, the club is closed to the public and the cigarettes are out in full force on the table. As the only non smoker I'm getting queezy from the haze covering the table.I find AQo in the big blind. Folded around to the small blind, shortstacked with about $50. He calls, I raise to $25 - he calls. Flop is A J 10. He pushes in his last $25 and I call. We flip up our cards and the SB shows AK to my AQ. I mentally lose the hand and am only mildly interested as the turn comes a brick and the river brings a K. The SB announces "two pair" and starts to rake the pot. I am pushing my cards towards the muck when a guy railing starts shouting that I have a straight, which of course I do.I think I win the pot without question but several people at the table claimed that my forward motion of the cards constitutes mucking. I counter with the fact that the cards were face up and the dealer should have called out the winning hand. Thoughts?

Cards speak. If your cards were face up on the table when the river was dealt and you didn't turn them over and throw them into the muck, you've won the hand. Next time pay better attention though.

So it's 3am, the club is closed to the public and the cigarettes are out in full force on the table. As the only non smoker I'm getting queezy from the haze covering the table.I find AQo in the big blind. Folded around to the small blind, shortstacked with about $50. He calls, I raise to $25 - he calls. Flop is A J 10. He pushes in his last $25 and I call. We flip up our cards and the SB shows AK to my AQ. I mentally lose the hand and am only mildly interested as the turn comes a brick and the river brings a K. The SB announces "two pair" and starts to rake the pot. I am pushing my cards towards the muck when a guy railing starts shouting that I have a straight, which of course I do.I think I win the pot without question but several people at the table claimed that my forward motion of the cards constitutes mucking. I counter with the fact that the cards were face up and the dealer should have called out the winning hand. Thoughts?
you tabled the winning hand. ship the sherbert to herbert. where's 13CARDS to disagree with me? we can never agree on anything rules related.
Cards speak. If your cards were face up on the table when the river was dealt and you didn't turn them over and throw them into the muck, you've won the hand. Next time pay better attention though.
Thanks. I am curious about the 'cards talk' rule. If the cards talk and they are face up does it make any difference if I muck them? Do I need to announce that I have won the hand or is the simple fact of the cards showing enough to take the pot?
Thanks. I am curious about the 'cards talk' rule. If the cards talk and they are face up does it make any difference if I muck them? Do I need to announce that I have won the hand or is the simple fact of the cards showing enough to take the pot?
Hold your cards until the pot is awarded. Showing the cards is enough to win the pot, there is no need for you or anyone else (besides the dealer) to announce your hand. If you threw your cards into the muck, even though people saw them... it could be grounds for argument. Not much of an argument but still. Protect your cards and pay attention.Also, whenever you have any kind of draw... pay attention. When I deal and I see a hand like yours, I make a mental note and watch for the straight. Think of it as practicing counting outs. You can count them with confidence because you know the other players hand. Think about the cards that will make you good and watch for them. That way you avoid "mentally losing the hand".
At the conclusion of the pot, the dealer should muck your opponent's losing hand and bring your hand face up to the center of the table with the board so that the camera can see it. He should then push you the pot before mucking your hand and beginning the shuffle. However, it is your responsibility to protect your hand right up until the moment when the dealer pulls it into the center. By picking up your cards and mucking them you would effectively be forfeiting the pot even if you had turned over the winning hand. It is always important to pay attention to what the dealer is doing. Dealers make mistakes as do the other players at the table. Be aware of what is happening around you and you should not find yourself in situations like this.
By picking up your cards and mucking them you would effectively be forfeiting the pot even if you had turned over the winning hand.
nope. even mucked, a once tabled hand could be declared the winner if the players saw it and will testify to it.
nope. even mucked, a once tabled hand could be declared the winner if the players saw it and will testify to it.
Exactly. That's where my "argument, but not much of an argument" figures in. You show the winner, you see it, a couple of other people see it, hopefully the dealer sees it and you throw it in the muck. Well it should be easy to retrieve since everybody just saw it. Your hand is ruled live and the pot is awarded. A jerk could try to argue it, but the rules say it's yours. Should you protect your hand better? Absolutely! But the pot is yours.

generlly mucking is when you throw the cards face down and in the muckyours were face up and not in the muckwhat's the problem, you should have paid more attention but the pot is still yours

if you show your hand and another player reads it as the winning hand, it should be awarded to you even if you muck.if nobody sees it before you muck, there's nothing you can do.
FALSE!!!Cards-speak rule only takes effect if you TABLE your cards (i.e. flip them face-up on thee table (not in the muck)). If you show a player your winning hand then muck, since you never tabled your cards, you do NOT win the pot (you mucked your hand).For the situation that the O.P. described, since they tabled their hands, the pot is awarded to the O.P.

The camera line caught me funny too. I thought maybe he was trying to be clever. Either way I don't think the cards need to be pulled to the center for the camera. I would bet those cameras can see the whole table.

you tabled the winning hand. ship the sherbert to herbert. where's 13CARDS to disagree with me? we can never agree on anything rules related.
WHAT?!?!? In this case, I 100% DISAGREE....um...er...AGREE!!!! Even the dealer cannot muck a winning hand that has been tabled properly. Assuming the cards were tabled properly, the OP should get the pot.**WARNING** ---- In most rooms I have played, once a pot has been shipped and received, there is no turning back. So, make sure you protect your cards until you are rewarded. As I tell dealers when I play, "I'll sell you my two cards for the price of the pot." Ship it to me and then you can have my cards.