Question For Those Who Play A Lot Of Volume Online

How do you handle the long hours of concentrating on the computer screen? I've found that whenever I play a lot of tables for any significant length of time I start to lose focus and my brain starts feeling like it's turning to mush. Specifically, I 5-tabled cash games for about 2 hours tonight and by the end my brain felt fried and my eyes didn't want to focus at all. Is this something that gets better with more play, or do you just get used to it? Or is it just me and most people don't have this problem?

How do you handle the long hours of concentrating on the computer screen? I've found that whenever I play a lot of tables for any significant length of time I start to lose focus and my brain starts feeling like it's turning to mush. Specifically, I 5-tabled cash games for about 2 hours tonight and by the end my brain felt fried and my eyes didn't want to focus at all. Is this something that gets better with more play, or do you just get used to it? Or is it just me and most people don't have this problem?
I 4 table for many hours a day. It will get easier. When i first started to multi-table it was a bit stressful and that will tire the brain out. I would consider 2 and 3 tabling for a while and work up to 4, 5 etc. I could probably comfortably 6 table for long stretches now but am still waiting on my $1000 fpp bought gift certificate for Best Buy....to get my new dual monitors. :club: Currently working on a 17" CRT which sucks!

While checking out some occasional pics of rowdy college girls might help, I just suggest drinking a lot of fluids and taking several breaks just to stretch out and walk around. Before poker, I was playing about 4-5 hrs of online gaming and I just kind of grew used to being in front of a screen for hours on end. I usually play poker from 8 or 9pm until 2 or 3am each night. If you play cash games, take several breaks of sitting out to do another activity for 5-10mins then come back for more. If you play tournies... suck it up and be tough :club:

I play on a cheap laptop, so I can only play 2 tables well (er, well for my standards). With 2 tables (and me sitting on the far left in one game and on the far right in the other) the overlap isn't too bad. With only 2, I can still surf the net, watch tv, etc. Moving to 3 or 4 really involves too much concentration for me because of the overlap with constantly switching screens and my constant headache (neck injury).I think many of the players who multitable 4 plus tables have high resolution screens so they can see them all at once and solely play poker during that time. I'm just not that committed.

I play on a cheap laptop, so I can only play 2 tables well (er, well for my standards). With 2 tables (and me sitting on the far left in one game and on the far right in the other) the overlap isn't too bad. With only 2, I can still surf the net, watch tv, etc. Moving to 3 or 4 really involves too much concentration for me because of the overlap with constantly switching screens and my constant headache (neck injury).I think many of the players who multitable 4 plus tables have high resolution screens so they can see them all at once and solely play poker during that time. I'm just not that committed.
Hmmm.....that's a point. Dealing with the overlap could be sapping my concentration.

It's definitely something that takes time to get used to. You should try lowering the number of tables and slowly adding them back as you find you can hold your concentration longer. If 2 hours is too long you can start with 1 hour sessions and make them a little bit longer each day over a couple of weeks.

Meh, overlap isn't a problem if at least one corner of the table is exposed, ie, max you can do on most laptops without resizeable tables is 4. I've done 9 on Stars before (as seen below). I don't think it's your main problem.It is definitely something that you get better with over time though. It just takes practice, like anything else.I remember the first time I 4-tabled SH LHE, I was timing out all over the place. Same sorta thing when I 9-tabled the NL tables on Stars.Now, I 4-table because my system limits me to it. I could probably play 6-8 on Stars, but GT+ would be so cluttered with tiny resolution tables, and there's no incentives for me to play there anymore (vs AP, Tribeca, etc).Anyways, the key to putting in many hours, is just taking a quick 15 minute break every once in a while. I randomly pick a time, maybe after a bad beat, maybe not, when I just unclick the auto-post button, finish my rounds at each table, and get up, get some water, bathroom break, go for a quick walk around the house, etc. Not so long that I get booted from the tables or anything, but enough to allow you to refocus. Personally, I can go 4 hours at least, and I've done many more, without this break, but it definitely helps, and is something good to ease you into expending the mental energy you do to multitable.Also, don't play as many hands as pokerplayer24, he's just insane.Cheers.- ZachEDIT - almost forgot my 9 table image9tablesls0.jpg

I have no real problems with timing out or anything. I misclick every now and then, but that's not that big of a deal. My problem is simply that I my eyes start to unfocus and I feel tired. It's like playing and concentrating that long is really draining.

You seriously just get used to it. I used to have trouble following more than 2-tables but now, anything less than 4-table and I get antsy...Now, I can easily 6-8 table the NL cash games and 12-table the SNGs. Like previous posters have said, take regular breaks. Rest your eyes....Also, try to avoid using CRT monitors if you can. Those take a toll on the eyes.

Most people who are professional multi-tablers at cash games zone out completely and go into robot mode. If you're not playing for a living, and still trying to get better, I would suggest focusing really hard on a single table or MAYBE two-tabling.My 2 cents...

Most people who are professional multi-tablers at cash games zone out completely and go into robot mode. If you're not playing for a living, and still trying to get better, I would suggest focusing really hard on a single table or MAYBE two-tabling.My 2 cents...
agreed. i'll 16 table SNGs, but those don't count as real poker. if you want to get better at the cashaments, limit yourself to 3 tables tops. it'll also help you practice proper table selection.

If you're having difficulty maintaining focus while 5-tabling then I suggest gearing down a bit.I wouldn't let myself add more tables until I got so sick of waiting I just had to. When you're moving that much faster than the games you have in front of you then you can safely add more.But just because you are capable of playing 5-tables doesn't mean it's optimal. I can drive my car with my knees but...

I have no real problems with timing out or anything. I misclick every now and then, but that's not that big of a deal. My problem is simply that I my eyes start to unfocus and I feel tired. It's like playing and concentrating that long is really draining.
Are you in shape? Eat well and take vitamins?I know this sounds kinda weird but I started working out, taking vitamins (B12, C, Calicium w/ Magnesium, Echinachia sp?) and began eating healthy (very little junk food, well balanced meal, etc...) and have found that I can concentrate for longer while playing poker. I used to get tired and unfocused about 1.5 - 2 hours into the session and then make mistakes. Being fit definetly helps with enegery, stamina and concentration at the tables.

i can 3 table HU SNGs for about 6 hours taking 15 minute breaks every hour and a half or so. anyone who plays them knows how mentally draining they can be. after about 6 hours or so i get fatigued mentally and take an hour break.you just build up the tollerance for it. one of the things that helped me in this department was college and insomnia where i would constantly stay up all night studying or reading until dawn just to go to school until 6pm. i also found that constantly pushing myself to play more hours or more tables while maintaining focus helped alot. when you find yourself losing focus become aware of it. do not try and fight through it by trying to turn your filter up. sit out for a few minutes, relax, imagine how you are going to play focused, and get excited about how well you are going to play.have you ever driven for 14 hours? you know that feeling you get after hour 4 or 5 where you catch your second wind, the sun starts to come up, and every song on the radio starts to get better. after that it's clear sailing. i call it "the zone". when i'm in it i can't stop driving. the same thing happens with poker. you hit "the zone" and once you hit it enough the wall you have to break through disappears.if that doesn't work try ritalin.

Are you in shape? Eat well and take vitamins?I know this sounds kinda weird but I started working out, taking vitamins (B12, C, Calicium w/ Magnesium, Echinachia sp?) and began eating healthy (very little junk food, well balanced meal, etc...) and have found that I can concentrate for longer while playing poker. I used to get tired and unfocused about 1.5 - 2 hours into the session and then make mistakes. Being fit definetly helps with enegery, stamina and concentration at the tables.
Good advice for sure.Poker is unquestionably an unhealthy passtime/occupation, so credit to you for keeping in shape. Now.. when I blow the dust off my gym pass, I mean to start going again regularly.

I find multitabling difficult as well. In fact, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one who suffers. Unlike you, I don't have trouble with my eyes losing focus or my brain turning to mush --for me, I just can't seem to catch my breath. I found that even with two or three tables, it didn't take long before I was feeling out of breath, tired. It would always come to a head whenever I found playable hands at both (or all three) of my tables at once. Then, I'm running back and forth constantly, trying to keep the dealer from mucking my hand (while tryiing to keep the pit from noticing my multitabling activities). One time, as luck would have it, my three tables that I was playing on were situated as far apart as possible in the 25-table poker room. There was a lot of running... I was finally told to keep it to only one table after I ran into (and knocked over) the server with the tray full of beers...

I find multitabling difficult as well. In fact, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one who suffers. Unlike you, I don't have trouble with my eyes losing focus or my brain turning to mush --for me, I just can't seem to catch my breath. I found that even with two or three tables, it didn't take long before I was feeling out of breath, tired. It would always come to a head whenever I found playable hands at both (or all three) of my tables at once. Then, I'm running back and forth constantly, trying to keep the dealer from mucking my hand (while tryiing to keep the pit from noticing my multitabling activities). One time, as luck would have it, my three tables that I was playing on were situated as far apart as possible in the 25-table poker room. There was a lot of running... I was finally told to keep it to only one table after I ran into (and knocked over) the server with the tray full of beers...
Funniest thing i've heard in awhile :club: