$3.30 Stars Rebuy Question

I usually stick to freezeouts but I'm going to play in the rebuy tourney tonight on Stars. I do not really enjoy the first hour of rebuys......with people going nuts trying to double up.I understand you need to take chances in order to build a big stack but I am more interested in just getting to the break with an avg/ just below avg chip stack w/o having to rebuy if possible.You used to be able to just sign up at the break and double buy...but I am pretty sure you can't do that now. Should I just post and fold until the break and double buy? Maybe throw half my stack away just before the break and double buy so I can have even more chips at the break?Basically...I'm just looking to get as many chips as possible w/o spending more than $9. (Yes I have a sufficient BR)Any tips/advice much appreciated.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually stick to freezeouts but I'm going to play in the rebuy tourney tonight on Stars. I do not really enjoy the first hour of rebuys......with people going nuts trying to double up.I understand you need to take chances in order to build a big stack but I am more interested in just getting to the break with an avg/ just below avg chip stack w/o having to rebuy if possible.You used to be able to just sign up at the break and double buy...but I am pretty sure you can't do that now. Should I just post and fold until the break and double buy? Maybe throw half my stack away just before the break and double buy so I can have even more chips at the break?Basically...I'm just looking to get as many chips as possible w/o spending more than $9. (Yes I have a sufficient BR)Any tips/advice much appreciated.
If thats the idea I think you're screwed! :club: Rebuys you've got to spend money to make money

I understand what you want to do, but here's why its not a good idea. You will have to accumulate more than the average stack to have a legit shot at going anywhere, anything under 10k at the break is bad news.Playing tight does work sometimes, but it's quite difficult with all the madness going on around you.We might aswell make this into the rebuy thread.In as Naslund44.

i already tried to make a rebuy thread in tourny strat. it fizzled... basically you do not have a realistic chance of going deep if you plan on playing the tourny in the way you have suggested OP. And, though you said u are bankrolled for the rebuy tourny, i truly question whether you are or not. One who is properly br'ed for rebuys would be willing to make multiple rebuys trying to have the best chance possible at winning the thing.

i already tried to make a rebuy thread in tourny strat. it fizzled... basically you do not have a realistic chance of going deep if you plan on playing the tourny in the way you have suggested OP. And, though you said u are bankrolled for the rebuy tourny, i truly question whether you are or not. One who is properly br'ed for rebuys would be willing to make multiple rebuys trying to have the best chance possible at winning the thing.
Yea I questioned that also, but im no longer in as my buddy just brought over a nuts bong :club: peace.

If you have a big enough bankroll, then you need to take a ton of chances in the first hour. Even if means spending some extra money on re buys. Here's my basic strategy for rebuys that works pretty well for me.1. If someone raises, go ahead and come over the top for your entire stack with the following hands:99+AKAKs and AQs2. Limp with any 1 and 2 gap cards (57. 10K, etc.). Also limp with any Q, K, or A suited. If you get an open ended straight draw, or flush draw, and there is action in front of you. PUSH ALL IN. 3. Limp with pairs 22-88. Push if you hit a set, ala Smash Style.3. Once you can get to around 15,000 - 20,000 in chips, then you can play a fairly tighter game until the hour is up.This is my strategy, and it works pretty well for me. Typically after the 1st hour, I have around 20,000 chips. The most I ever had after the first hour is 43,000. Basically, if you aren't willing to take these chances and spend your money, then you should stick to the freezeouts you play so much. You'll be much better off in the long run.Good luck!

In as mhartman72.............all im concerned about is having 6,000+ at the end of break.....the blinds are 75/150 at the end of the first hours I think......so that should keep me well covered for a little bit. GL to all

In as mhartman72.............all im concerned about is having 6,000+ at the end of break.....the blinds are 75/150 at the end of the first hours I think......so that should keep me well covered for a little bit. GL to all
Thanks for all the replies too. Appreciate it.

hehe, won two pots in a row. one with T9s (massive, massive favourite against AKs and 66) and the very next hand I get pocket aces and push all in (like I did 15hands in a row) and get a call from T8 (usually 60-40 in these rebuy tournaments, haha)PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Hero (t2590)MP1 (t4530)MP2 (t2730)MP3 (t5000)CO (t1440)Button (t2640)SB (t650)BB (t1420)UTG (t6000)Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Tdiamond.gif, 9diamond.gif. 1 fold, Hero raises to t2590, 2 folds, MP3 raises to t5000, 1 fold, Button calls t2640 (All-In), 2 folds.Flop: (t10260) 8spade.gif, 8heart.gif, Jdiamond.gif(3 players, 1 all-in)Turn: (t10260) 7diamond.gif(3 players, 1 all-in)River: (t10260) 9heart.gif(3 players, 1 all-in)Final Pot: t10260Hero has Td 9d (straight, jack high). MP3 has Ah Kh (one pair, eights). Button has 6h 6s (two pair, eights and sixes). Outcome: Hero wins t10260.

won a big pot when my QQ ran into AT and the AK of the big stack. AK lost yet again this tourney and my QQ held up (a queen flopped which was nice). Of course the AT won the main pot, but it was only like 2.5k. AT is like 30% to win in that spot newayz.just under 17k now.playing real tight, only playing the pairs, AK and suited connectors. I even folded 22, 44 and 78s! :club:

just doubled thru stealurmoney :DPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Hero (t19050)BB (t4335)UTG (t4050)UTG+1 (t12348)MP1 (t5415)MP2 (t23662)MP3 (t19742)CO (t34075)Button (t9265)Preflop: Hero is SB with Aclub.gif, Aspade.gif. 4 folds, MP3 raises to t600, CO raises to t1400, 1 fold, Hero raises to t19050, 1 fold, MP3 folds, CO calls t17650.Flop: (t38900) 4club.gif, 3diamond.gif, 5diamond.gif(2 players)Turn: (t38900) 3club.gif(2 players)River: (t38900) 7diamond.gif(2 players)Final Pot: t38900Hero has Ac As (two pair, aces and threes). CO has Jd Jh (two pair, jacks and threes). Outcome: Hero wins t38900. [/color]Tried a bluff the hand before, so I thought he would think my over bet was becoz I was steaming. Nice!