End Of Game Strategy

Anyone who is a football fan and watched the Jets Dolphins game last week please fell free to weigh in.I believe the Nick Saban committed one of the cardinal sins of clock management that always gets no attention. He is not the only coach who does this. Most coaches make the same mistake. Here goes:The play before the two minute warning and it is tied 10-10. Leon Washington breaks a screen pass with a nice move....dolphins FS falls down and he gains 64 yards down to the Dolphins 12. The Jets have the ball 1st and 10 with 1:54 on the clock in easy FG range. Fish have one timeout.Here is the deal. If the Jets just take a knee 3 times then the can run the clock down to 10 secs and kick a 28 yard FG. Nugent misses that probably about 4-6% of the time. SHOULDNT THE DOLPHINS LET THE JEtS SCOre A TD?????? What is more likely....Nugent misses a bunny FG and we go to OT or the Dolphins get the ball back with 1:30 and one timeout and have to score a TD??? Isnt this really obvious? The odds of scoring a TD drive with 90 secs and one timeout are vastly superior to the odds of Nugent blowing a bunny. You let the Jets down the ball and the game is for all intents and purposes over. No one scores in 10 secs.I feel like this is blatantly obvious and yet no one mentions it even. How can this go unnoticed? It happens all the ****ing time too.

You are forgetting one huge factor. Coaches can be fired for making the correct, but nontraditional call.However, if they stick with the traditional way of doing things they will not be blamed, no matter how stupid the traditional way is.It goes without saying that coaches are more interested in keeping their jobs than always giving their team the best mathematical chance to win.

The play before the two minute warning and it is tied 10-10. Leon Washington breaks a screen pass with a nice move....dolphins FS falls down and he gains 64 yards down to the Dolphins 12. The Jets have the ball 1st and 10 with 1:54 on the clock in easy FG range. Fish have one timeout.Here is the deal. If the Jets just take a knee 3 times then the can run the clock down to 10 secs and kick a 28 yard FG. Nugent misses that probably about 4-6% of the time.
I think your idea can be correct in certain situations, but I don't believe this is one of them. If they're on the 12 and take a knee three times, they will lose about 3 yards. That makes it a 33 yard FG. Nugent is 80% from 30-39 this year. Do you think the Dolphins, who only scored 10 points all game, score a TD in this situation more than 20% of the time?The Packers did this in the Super Bowl, but that was when Denver was near the goal line and they had Brett Favre in his prime.
Ummm... maybe I'm missing something, but what if the Jets choose not to score?They don't have to score a TD.Don't blame the loss on Saban, the Fins have done everything they can this year.
Actually they have been about as disappointing as a team could possibly be and I will blame saban for wasting a career year by Jason Taylor because he chose to trade for Culpepper instead of signing Brees. Until they make the playoffs I will slam him at every opportunity.And the Jets ran normal running plays so I doubt one of them would have had the presence of mind to take a knee on the one yard line if the Dolphins had taken the play off. But maybe their RB would have....certainly would be a heady move.
Actually they have been about as disappointing as a team could possibly be and I will blame saban for wasting a career year by Jason Taylor because he chose to trade for Culpepper instead of signing Brees. Until they make the playoffs I will slam him at every opportunity.
He guessed wrong. It happens. As for the situation on the 12, it's a lot harder to score a TD than a FG. How would you 'let' the Jets score? Tell everybody not to tackle? Then the Jets guy runs sideline to sideline til the game's almost over, then runs in for the TD.
He guessed wrong. It happens. As for the situation on the 12, it's a lot harder to score a TD than a FG. How would you 'let' the Jets score? Tell everybody not to tackle? Then the Jets guy runs sideline to sideline til the game's almost over, then runs in for the TD.
No you tell the team to let the guy score and unless he is the most heads up player on the planet he will run into the end zone.It is a lot lot lot lot harder to score a FG with 10 freaking seconds than a TD with 90 secs and a timeout.As for the Brees Culpepper thing...yeah he guessed wrong. Really REally wrong. it doesnt just happen. they screwed the pooch. everyone thought they would sign brees. everyone. because he only cost money not a draft pick and because he had a good 2005 and culpepper **** the bed.

Best of luck to the Saints (due to Brees.... ex-Purdue QB)! I'ld be rooting for Miami if Saban didn't drop the ball on him.... for some reason, I still like Saban. Don't ask me why. Grabbing Culpepper for QB is just asking for a mediocre season, though :-/

No you tell the team to let the guy score and unless he is the most heads up player on the planet he will run into the end zone.It is a lot lot lot lot harder to score a FG with 10 freaking seconds than a TD with 90 secs and a timeout.
It's pretty hard to score either way.
As for the Brees Culpepper thing...yeah he guessed wrong. Really REally wrong. it doesnt just happen. they screwed the pooch.
He absolutely screwed the pooch, and is responsible for the decision, but it does 'just happen'. The list of QB busts is by no means a short one.

no, you take the risk of him missing the FG, or blocking itIn Saban's case, part of it has to do with the fact that the Fins O was struggling, and the Jets D was playing strong.Also I believe earlier that game they botched the snap for a FG.

Two problems with your theory. 1) Jets didn't have 1st and goal. Therefore, if Fins give up the run then Jets could just fall down after they picked up another first down. 2) Cleo Lemon. The chances of him leading a quick scoring drive under pressure are slimer than Nugent missing a FG.