• Raise to 5,500
    • Raise to 10,000
    • Go All in

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blind info would be useful here. ( :club: I pretended that the question said SB had 150K stack and BB had 30K stack)Im late in the game (so the poll results are visable up top). But this was read aloud and discussed with the roomates and they did not have the benefit of that info- nor did I give any indication.It was split, one roomate opting to fold, one roomate opting to raise to 10,000, and I argued raising to 5500 just to see if I preferred that option given that we all like to play hands on the flop.The 10K won us out when he pointed out that raising to 10K made the rest of the hand a cake walk because if either one or both opponents called they would either have to give up or commit themselves on the flop, so our post flop decisions are way easier with the 7800 raise than 3300. Also- obv fold equity is greater with the 7800 rr.Also the difference between bluffing with 5500 and losing it, or losing 10K to a bluff is pretty negligible to our stack size and overall EV in the tournament.

• 1 month later...

Simples!Pop it up to 10k. It's obvious from the question that neither player has much of a holding and probably very unwilling to commit their entire stack with a K-10/6-7. Bumping it up to 10k has a couple of good benefits:-* You have show in the past that you are a tight player, the initial raiser and the caller are very aware that you are only betting with premium hands and are therefor very likely to lay down mediocre holdings.* your bet of 10k is the perfect amount to test both these stacks, basically you are telling them that if they want chance to win this pot they are going to have to commit all their chips.* If one of them does happen to have a hidden monster and push all in you can still get away from the Q3. Even with the pot odds, I think this would be an easy lay down.Raising to 5k wouldn't be enough to get both the payers out and only a Q high rainbow flop is gonna save you after the limper calls once again.

This is about a 50% split between raise and fold. Queen three is pretty weak, but then again these two people are desperate. There is one caller already who is also short stack and two ahead of you who may call/reraise. I would fold and let them duke it out.

There is no way I would fold this hand, considering the read on the two players in the pot and the chance to pick up a few extra chips. you are only gonna get called/re-raised from the blinds with a monster after a bet, call, re-raise. Especially with your tight image.

Well i knew raise to 10K was the right thing to do, but in reality i'd fold, your table image can't decide the cards your opponent is holding.But oh well, knowing the right thing to do is one thing!

• 3 weeks later...

I would say fold. Your one of the chip leaders so there's no need to get too tricky with your plays.Your read could be off and cost you a bit of stack. It really depends on how good your opponents are. Do they know that you only reraise with monsters?

Q 3 off, I believe has way to little potential to play with. If it was like 6-5 suited, it's one thing, but not Q 3 off.I'd fold, but I'm pretty narrow minded when it comes to these things, with not many players left... Which maybe is why I'll never be good for real :club:

• 2 months later...

This is the typical question that has a right answer to each individual player. As a moderately tight aggressive, I look for stealing opportunities. This could be one. However, Q3 is such garbage and has little chance of sucking out on a valid hand. You best be very sure of post flop playing. Hands like this tend to suck you in when hit good.Garbage is still garbage even if hit good. Example: BB wakes up with KK, smooth calls.Flop is Q73.BB checks. You bet 1/2 to 2/3 flop. Wow. What a lucky hit! You have to go for it. BB calls. (with KQ or maybe QJs? you think)Turn is a 9.You think BB has a draw to 2 pair with a Q. Bet 2/3 to pot size.River is a 7.You are not worried as BB probably did not call with 77 or Q7. No matter what happens next, you lost a lot more than the 10K you started with. Reads are fine, but a read has to always include the possibility that you are wrong or are being set up. You also have to be very sure of the proper reaction by those bluffed. The mid player may very well jam with any decent hand if he is frustrated and you can not call. All in is so weak as your AA KK show downs were raises, not all ins.5K raise is too weak and invites the blinds in.10K is the perfect bluff, but I would fold to any caller, and not bet any more except for a flop of 333, QQQ, and QQ3.Fold is perfect to preserve your lead and what I would do. I like to bluff with reasonable hands (67S) that are easy to play if called and should not trap you. The Q3 is just too much garbage.

• 2 months later...

Just fold, Q3 is garbage and live players hate folding after they've made a raise without seeing a flop. There's no doubt that both of these players could easily flat a 10k squeeze, despite how large of a % of their stack it is and Q3 just plays horribly postflop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see no benefit in picking up 6500 chips, no matter if you are in position and can play out. They may have a hand and raise back over your 10k or call an all-in which you're likely playing from behind.Fold here, AINEC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dont you think if he had 98, he wouldve raised after the flop. Instead he check/calls. Pretty weak play. If he has JT Str8 draw or Flush draw, why the hell would he raise a raisor?Im glad I stumbled over this quiz, its really got me thinking, I cant wait until my next session. _______________________________________

• 1 month later...

I would fold here as I am not a big fan of raising on the button just because you have it. I believe that a large portion of poker players now-a-days see this for what it is 80% of the time: a purely positional raise. even more so if you are playing online. Even if you raised to 5k or 10k it is likely that the initial raiser would push all in anyway as he will most likely put you on a position raise/steal. So it is just not worth the risk. Besides, by folding and letting him take it down uncontested may just give him the false sense of confidence he needs to attempt the move again when you really have a hand.Play the game within the game!

post-41038-1262412300_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

ITS NOT YOUR JOB 2 BUST THE DAMN SHORT STACK HECK WITH THE SHORT STACK FOLD THAT SHIT YOUR PLAYIN TIGHT YOUR IN AWSOME SHAPE IN CHIPS PPL ARE IDIOTS DOTN WORRY ABOUT YOUR TABLE IMAGINE MOST THE PPL AT THE TABLE PROLLY HASN'T EVEN PAYED ATTETION JUST FOLD WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU WONT 2 GIVE AWAY YOUR STACK WITH QUEEN 3 IF YOU DO FLOP A QUEEN HOW YOU KNO HE DONT GOT KINGS ACE'S ACE QUEEN AN THEN YOU'VE LOST A TON OF YOUR CHIPS FOR NO REASON IN THE WORLD LETS TRY 2 WIN THESE TOURNY'S NOT DONK EM :club:

• 1 month later...

im not going to ruin my tight image as much as strenthening deception. more than likely i get a fold by both players here, and the next time i use this play...i WILL have them crushed ( image is still in tact) so in essence, i am going to chip up in the future because i made this 10k raise. to me its well worth it whether i get called or re-raised and i fold. it still doesnt show that im not strong. showing im bluffing here wont hurt either. tight is right for the first flight but loose as a goose will put them in the noose when the final table rolls around. now try to put me on a hand?? i wont risk big money at the final table, its time to read the players. the object for me is to make thier minds work twice as hard as mine.

• 1 year later...

Announcements