Is Homosexuality Really A Sin?

I tell you what I don't understand is why all these churches are letting the federal government "define" things for them. I thought churches had the right of separation from the federal government and I don't think I've heard of anybody calling for all churches to marry gays so I'm not sure where that's coming from.also, I'm agreeing with and fully understanding tim's posts in this thread so I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket and attempt to have sex with a woman because apparently all things are possible, cats and dogs living together, etc.
I agree with you to a point, but the founders did not intend for a Church to be shut out of civil society. They should be allowed to have a voice in the public debate and be allowed to try and influence and make a case for what they see as beneficial for society at large. I am not saying they should be the only voice, only that they should have a voice. There are many on the left, including the president who don't think they should have any voice outside of the Church building on Sunday. They are being told to make a choice between following their religion on running a business. This shouldn't just bother Christians or religious.As far a gay marriage, the Christian church thinks it would weaken the family and thus make things worse for children.
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MELLO, BUFFALO. CHANDLER, BUFFALO. KENYON MARTIN, BUFFALO. JR SMITH, BUFFALO. PIGIONNI, HE'LL BUFFALO YOUR FUKEN COOKIES

I'm more of an Otter man myself, F.

Alright.. I'm going to just end this threads right here.Is Homosexuality really a sin? yes.In order to think it's not, you have to go through some really bizarre mental gymnastics, that have nothing to do with the Bible. The reason you go through the gymnastics is because of the cognitive dissonance between what you believe/want to believe ( IE there's nothing wrong with homosexuality) and what you're "supposed" to believe as a christian (IE Homosexuality is a sin (or at least homosexual sex acts are a sin)). If you'er going to pick and choose what in the bible you want to believe, and what you don't, you have a rather arbitrary foundation for your belief system. Either the bible is the word of god or it's not. Either it's the truth or it's not. The idea that some of it is the truth and some of it can be safely ignored suggest that you, personally, have some magical ability to know what God's will really is. And, i you really believe that, I suggest opening your own church, because you're a prophet, and the world needs to hear from you.If that doesn't appeal to you, if you don't think you have magical power to see what's real and what's bogus in the bible, and believe the bible is truth, you should perhaps consider getting on board with the bible's rather clear cut stance on homosexuality. Or, maybe... just maybe, you should check your starting assumptions, and weigh the wisdom of completely basing your belief system on tales of myths and miracles that were written in the bronze age.

Alright.. I'm going to just end this threads right here.Is Homosexuality really a sin? yes.In order to think it's not, you have to go through some really bizarre mental gymnastics, that have nothing to do with the Bible. The reason you go through the gymnastics is because of the cognitive dissonance between what you believe/want to believe ( IE there's nothing wrong with homosexuality) and what you're "supposed" to believe as a christian (IE Homosexuality is a sin (or at least homosexual sex acts are a sin)). If you'er going to pick and choose what in the bible you want to believe, and what you don't, you have a rather arbitrary foundation for your belief system. Either the bible is the word of god or it's not. Either it's the truth or it's not. The idea that some of it is the truth and some of it can be safely ignored suggest that you, personally, have some magical ability to know what God's will really is. And, i you really believe that, I suggest opening your own church, because you're a prophet, and the world needs to hear from you.If that doesn't appeal to you, if you don't think you have magical power to see what's real and what's bogus in the bible, and believe the bible is truth, you should perhaps consider getting on board with the bible's rather clear cut stance on homosexuality. Or, maybe... just maybe, you should check your starting assumptions, and weigh the wisdom of completely basing your belief system on tales of myths and miracles that were written in the bronze age.
I read this three times to be sure, but I agree with all of this except the 'open a church because your a prophet comment'
Your rhetoric is over the top, you need to tone it down. Your right every one has their right to express their opinions.
It was intentionally over the top. That was the entire point - that if somebody says something incredibly hateful it's equally my right to have a problem with their statement. Disagreeing with somebody's opinions does not equate to infringing on their right to express those opinions. Having a problem with something somebody says does not make one a hypocrite, like you said it does.
  • 3 months later...

no... it isn't

but that's only because god doesn't exist therefore the bible doesn't mean anything so there's no such thing as sin in the first place.

but still, no.

• Like 1

I don't know if it is uniquely religious or not, but it is a sacrament in the Church, and I couldn't speak for every traditional marriage supporter/gay marriage opponent, but the problem that Catholic Church has is that they see the family as the cornerstone of society. The family has taken a big hit due to abortion, contraception, divorce, sexual revolution, and children(the ones not aborted) are the ones effected most. To change the definition of marriage would be to change what is the cornerstone of society. Man and Women committing to each other and their offspring and growing together in complementary way. Man and Man, Woman and Woman is not the same thing, and men and women aren't equally interchangeable parts. Two things the Church really want to protect is traditional marriage, and they would probably also be against same sex couples adopting children.

Man, you're the worst. Put the bible down and just see people as people.

Wakefield, I don't know how you beat your head against the wall like this and not go crazy. The last page alone made me want to slam my IPad into my own head. All your points seemed so simple and obvious yet ZD kept crying persecution. Never mind him constantly attaching grandstanding politicians opinions to you. Wow. Just wow.

And oh yeah, use the Catholic Church as a moral high ground for family. Brilliant.

Gay parents that adopt are 1000 times more committed than the "traditional" family because they went out of their way to have a child in their life, paid thousands of dollars to adopt, put tons of time and effort into the process. Not just a drunken night of accidentally leaving it in and 9 months later having a kid.

• 1 month later...

Daniel First and foremost We have to Look at the word "SIN" if we define it from the Bible its states anything that separates us from GOD is "SIN" There is No SIn greater than another "SIN is SIN" Homosexuality in the bible is considered "SIN" lets not take my Word for it lets look in the Word . The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God.. God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that people become homosexuals because of sin (Romans 1:24-27) and ultimately because of their own choice. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as some people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins. That does not excuse the person’s choosing to sin by giving in to sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger/rage, does that make it right for him to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true with homosexuality.However, the Bible does not describe homosexuality as a “greater” sin than any other. All sin is offensive to God. Homosexuality is just one of the many things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 that will keep a person from the kingdom of God. According to the Bible, God’s forgiveness is just as available to a homosexual as it is to an adulterer, idol worshiper, murderer, thief, etc. God also promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Philippians 4:13). So for the Bigger Picture I have not seen a study or positive results on a Gay gene or DNA makeup for a Gay chromosome. See I am not a homophobe , just when something so sensitive is discussed we want to except that which is not the norm because society says its not "SIN" . God hates the SIN in Us he does not hate the SINNER. Blessings

Daniel First and foremost We have to Look at the word "SIN" if we define it from the Bible its states anything that separates us from GOD is "SIN" There is No SIn greater than another "SIN is SIN" Homosexuality in the bible is considered "SIN" lets not take my Word for it lets look in the Word . The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God.. God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that people become homosexuals because of sin (Romans 1:24-27) and ultimately because of their own choice. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as some people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins. That does not excuse the person’s choosing to sin by giving in to sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger/rage, does that make it right for him to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true with homosexuality.However, the Bible does not describe homosexuality as a “greater” sin than any other. All sin is offensive to God. Homosexuality is just one of the many things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 that will keep a person from the kingdom of God. According to the Bible, God’s forgiveness is just as available to a homosexual as it is to an adulterer, idol worshiper, murderer, thief, etc. God also promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Philippians 4:13). So for the Bigger Picture I have not seen a study or positive results on a Gay gene or DNA makeup for a Gay chromosome. See I am not a homophobe , just when something so sensitive is discussed we want to except that which is not the norm because society says its not "SIN" . God hates the SIN in Us he does not hate the SINNER. Blessings

Look, bleep hole, I ended this bleeping thread in August. Scroll up and read my post, there's nothing more to add.

Then the thread should of been closed no worries no need to get all hurt a simple hey man no need to add any more ..

so is that doing the 14 year old girl kissy face or is his face just naturally like that? I mean if it's naturally like that, I won't make fun, cause that's unfortunate.

that hat ain't naturally like that though I can tell you that god damn much.

Back off shake, those lips are thick, lush, full and seriously kissable, as evidenced by the hat turned backwards so the brim doesn't get in the way. This cat is ready for business.

Loogie, you doin my material right in front of me man?

Or is this more of a "every Mexican comedian on the planet asking 'who is gonna build the wall?'" type situation?

• 4 months later...

Have you ever considered the possibility that the Bible doesn't actually condemn the homosexual lifestyle? That instead of asking people who were born as homosexuals to pray to become straight, they should be accepted as followers of Christ regardless of their sexual orientation? The idea that a homosexual is living a life of sin has NEVER sat well with me and I have a tough time believing it. There is far too much evidence supporting the fact that people are born homosexuals and that it's not a choice, nor is it a mental disorder. In reading the following: http://www.soulforce...e-gay-christian I found lots of information that supports the idea that homosexuality is not a sin. I haven't had a chance to verify the facts written in this piece yet, but I plan on looking at both sides of it. I found the informaton on Sodom to be extremely interesting. There seems to be so much misinformation about the fall of Sodom and the reasons for it. It's quite a long read, but I think it's interesting.

Well, I'm not sure what Bible you are getting this from, not the one I read. That being said, what isn’t a sin? The bible says it is an "abomination"; the reasons for this are pretty clear to me: You cannot sustain a growing society without men and women making those babies! In today’s world, it would feasibly be possible, but back then there were no test tube Hebrews. And we have no idea what basing a large society off of artificial insemination would do. Maybe someday there will be a gay country or planet. Good luck with that, really.

While I'm not gay, I would never bash those who are. So, I could care less if it is a choice or not. And "born that way" grinds to a screeching halt, when you bring one group in particular; bi-sexual. How does that choice fit with "born that way"?

Now, when I see some whacked out, wild eyed church group, going out to scream at homosexuals and wave signs, I want to barf: 1) Go to San Francisco and try that, zippy, if you so believe your are in the right. And 2) didn’t Jesus say "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? He didn't say "Except for them thar gays! Youns can throw rocks at them!” Sometimes ardent religious people forget that someone else’s "sin" is not their own. By bashing them, now you are the sinner. Are we supposed to pass judgment on anyone? Don’t think so.

I think the backlash is mostly coming from people who do not want to explain this to small children, do not want it thrown in their face whether they like it or not, etc. Forcing acceptance of what many consider to be a choice is not going to work. Also, many African Americans are appalled by “gay rights” being lumped in with civil rights. You can choose who you sleep with; you cannot choose your skin color. And again, before you say “born that way”, remember those who are “bi-sexual”.

You know, I hold no grudge against LGBT’s. Frankly, I cold care less if you are straight or gay. It’s a little TMI. It certainly will not affect how I treat you as a person, which is with the respect any other human being deserves. If I saw a person being beaten on the street, I would come to their assistance not caring who or what they are. And yet, I am considered a homophobe! Why? Simple; I do not agree with the so-called “gay marriage”.

For me, this concept just does not make any sense. Not just because marriage is “my thing”, heterosexuality is “my club” (Why are you insisting we are the exact same? We are not. That is not good or bad, but it truly is different. So, why not do your own thing?) It is because of the word itself. Why to you think it is called marriage in the first place? Well, you are joining two similar, yet different things (A man and a Woman) together. And, therefore, they can also be split apart. So, you can “marry” two ingredients together (apple juice and orange juice, salt and pepper) You would never say “marry these two ingredients together...Salt and Salt, Apple juice and apple juice...see, it just does not make any sense whatsoever.

So, call me a homophobe. I’m not, clearly. Yet, maybe you are a heterophobe if you cannot accept a logical disagreement to your case.

What makes you think bi-sexuality is a choice? Even straight people often have preferences..I've got friends that are more attracted to asains, brunettes, bigger women etc not one of them says that their preference is a choice-they all say it's just where their attraction lays whatever the reasons. I'm unsure why this concept seems so hard to many: it seems logical under the same criteria that some would be attracted to the same sex and some may find people of either gender attractive. As for you marrying analogy- as someone with a ton of food service management/ownership experience I can tell you every day restaurants across the world marry things like ketchup-not ketchup and mustard, ketchup and ketchup, vinegar and vinegar, salt and salt and so on and so on