Negreanu On The Poker Edge

Daniel Negreanu joins Phil Gordon to talk about his record breaking feat this week at the Bellagio. He also provides his expert insight into heads up tournament play.You can download it off of iTunes, or head here:http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/news/s...?page=pokeredgeor http://espn.go.com/poker
This Spam is officially approved by FCP :club:
I really dislike the way Phil Gordon tried to twist the interview to dissing the WPT. I like Phil, but sheesh, keep your political agenda out of the damn interview.Ray
DN handled that pretty well though. He basically shot every one of Phil's arguments down.

I wonder why the WPT makes the structure so fast at the final table anyway? Daniel said the structure is good up until the FT....why don't they just continue the good structure for the FT as well? If the final 6 take like 10 or more hours to finish, they can just cut down the show to two hours.I guess it's the cost of running the set and crew that makes it expensive......

I wonder why the WPT makes the structure so fast at the final table anyway? Daniel said the structure is good up until the FT....why don't they just continue the good structure for the FT as well? If the final 6 take like 10 or more hours to finish, they can just cut down the show to two hours.I guess it's the cost of running the set and crew that makes it expensive......
They are more concerned with running a good tv show rather than a good poker tournament.

Actually, I expected the WPT stuff for sure, but what really surprised me was the, "I guess we aren't friends" comment. Following that, he seemed offended that I thought the play three handed was weak in my blog. At one point I couldn't tell if he was joking or if he was really insecure about his play or with his friendship with me. It could have gotten really weird, but I think it all worked out. When he asked me to tell him what I thiought were mistakes heads up, I seriously couldn't remember any of it! It wasn't that important to me to remember so long after, but I remember after watching it feeling like the play wasn't great.

Actually, I expected the WPT stuff for sure, but what really surprised me was the, "I guess we aren't friends" comment. Following that, he seemed offended that I thought the play three handed was weak in my blog. At one point I couldn't tell if he was joking or if he was really insecure about his play or with his friendship with me. It could have gotten really weird, but I think it all worked out. When he asked me to tell him what I thiought were mistakes heads up, I seriously couldn't remember any of it! It wasn't that important to me to remember so long after, but I remember after watching it feeling like the play wasn't great.
He seemed ultra defensive about his heads up play. It was a little strange. I think he was totally kidding about the "friends" thing, but was serious about being concerned that you didn't like his play. You floundered there a little bit too, Daniel,not your best interview. :PRay
If your member number 3 who were the first two? THE CHICKEN AND THE EGG?
He seemed ultra defensive about his heads up play. It was a little strange. I think he was totally kidding about the "friends" thing, but was serious about being concerned that you didn't like his play. You floundered there a little bit too, Daniel,not your best interview. :PRay
I've never been in that spot before in my life. It was a little awkward and I was just trying to smooth things over.

Daniel,I think you handle it as best you could for being put on the spot. I was a fan of Phil Gordon even bought his green book but after that interview I am not impressed. Good job on the interview anyway.Also congratulations on third place finish. As you said on the Circuit it would be a crap shoot with the speed of the blinds. And as you said you are going back to your old style of playing and I guess you can be happy that your method still works. I like when you are on these type of shows cause it show what type of person you are and how relaxed you are during a big tournament. I look forward to listening to you in the future.I just wanted to let you know that I am flying out from Calgary tonight to Vegas and staying at TI. I hope to play some at Mirage and TI. If I was to go to Bellagio would I be able to see any the other pros in the poker room or do you guys have a special place to play when you go there. I know you mentioned in the interview with Phil that you are doing the family thing for Xmas and won't be playing any games over the holidays. I just also want to wish you and your family a Very Merry XMAS & Happy New Year.CheersgpineoCdnPkrNut.

Even though I do believe Gordon was joking around with the "I guess we're not friends comment," he did come off as kind of being offended, and he is a horrible host. It seemed like he had no sense of humor, and it was a tough interview (Gordon's fault not Daniel's). Also, after the WPT discussion it seemed like Gordon was only talking about himself at the Red Rock. Even though Daniel commented about it on the blog, the interview should be Gordon interviewing Daniel about Daniel not Gordon interviewing Daniel about Gordon. Its ok that he asked a few questions about it since Daniel did comment on it in his blog, but I think Gordon took it too far.

I don't think Daniel did a bad job at all. Having not had an opinion about Phil Gordon only because I didn't have anything to go on, I can now say my opinion is very low. What a horrible host! I don't think he was joking about the 'not being my friend' thing at all. He started and finished the interview about this, and it was nothing but a passing comment in a blog which had no intention whatsoever. What a self-absorbed git.

In light of another post where many people defended him, I found Phil's comments on Bonomo very interesting.I hadn't thought about it before but I agree that cheats should have some form of ban from the big tourneys.As far as the interview with Daniel, it seemed that Phil was a lot more interested in Phil than DN.

In light of another post where many people defended him, I found Phil's comments on Bonomo very interesting.I hadn't thought about it before but I agree that cheats should have some form of ban from the big tourneys.As far as the interview with Daniel, it seemed that Phil was a lot more interested in Phil than DN.
Totally agree, I love his register idea of cheats with a 5 year ban.

wow, just listened to this podcast and it's very clear that he came into this interview with an agenda. i can just imagine him talking to himself before the show saying "don't back down phil.....don't back down". he certainly has a laundry list of grievances to err here. i find that a bunch of times he really tries to put daniel in an awkward situation. total loser in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Phil had an agenda here. I know he was questioning Daniel's comments in the blog, but I dont think he intentionally wanted to accomplish anything but find out what Daniel thought he did wrong during heads up play. Thanks for coming onto the show Daniel,Andrew

Mods, PLEASE, for the love of this forum, do something with the idiot who types in all caps. I don't ask for much, just going along learning from the great players and reading the stories in GF..