Best Poker Help You've Ever Had?

Best Advice/Material  

91 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick one, what is the best resource that improved your game?

• Doyles SS 1, and/or SS 2
    • HOH (all of 'em)
    • Some other book (please share)
    • A membership resource (i.e. Green Plastic etc.)
    • An on line forum (2+2, FCP, Pocket fives, etc.)
    • A poker DVD or tape
    • Some sort of poker boot camp/class
    • Just Grinding out the hard knocks
    • Hiring a Coach/Mentor
    • Talking to friends
    • Other

Maybe it's too broad a topic, and I know it's hard to pick just one, but I thought it would still be interesting to see what folks think.I'm sure I left a few out so feel free to share if you can. Hopefully this will help some folks out getting better.I also think that commentary will shed more light than the poll, so please make a comment if you can.For me, the 6 months training with Steve7 and the guys has broadend my poker vision like nothing else. There is no substitute for having a coach/mentor IMO, and having the group around to help is just the best.But if I had to pick one single moment thing that really lit a fire and helped me turn a corner it would have to be the first time I read Harringtons books. The results were immediate at that time and I've seen tournaments differently ever since, even though I've modified that information to fit my own game.Thanks in advance for the helpful contributions. :club:

Onething that you left off that I thing has helped my game a ton has been railing. While you may not see a ton of whole cards the chance to rail more successful players and to see how they function in certain situations has really broadened my approach to the game.

I just signed up for Cardrunners last week and I can already say that there videos have made me a much better player. Reading about playing something like a flush draw agressively is one thing but to actually see how a top player does it and analyzes it makes the play so much easier to add into your own game. I highly reccomend Cardrunners to everyone. Give yourself a Christmas gift that will more than pay for itself.

For me it was definitely Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players (Sklansky & Malmuth). HoH wasn't available at the time so I don't know if I would've felt different had I read them both at once. Of course I leeched most of my reading material from my mentor so I suppose I could've picked the mentor/coach option.Oh well...other book it is.

By far and away the best advice i got was from Capt. Tom Franklin....though i woke up this morning with a rash on my back....any idea how tht got there???....the Capt has no answers either....reallly weird

some people dont need any help from a book lmao but than again not all people are naturaly great like me

I just signed up for Cardrunners last week and I can already say that there videos have made me a much better player. Reading about playing something like a flush draw agressively is one thing but to actually see how a top player does it and analyzes it makes the play so much easier to add into your own game. I highly reccomend Cardrunners to everyone. Give yourself a Christmas gift that will more than pay for itself.
How much is that service? I found their sample video to be very interesting.
How much is that service? I found their sample video to be very interesting.
who cares how much the price is ..if u think it works than sighn up u cheap *******
i really liked Hellmuths book "Play poker like the pros." I still reread it from time to time.
I really hope there's an implied sw there. That was my first poker book...it's the worst book I own.
who cares how much the price is ..if u think it works than sighn up u cheap *******
So if somebody tells him it's $100,000 he should buy it because he doesn't want to be called a cheap ******* by a loser like you?I liked you better as cocky and ignorant. Someone's sprinkled to much ass on you this week.

Nothing beats experience. nothingAs far as books go.....for me it has to be SSII for the stud 8 and the omaha chapters.HOH is too basic and anyone who has played SNG's or MTT's already know all the concepts and how to apply them. HOHII was far more helpful to me.SSHE and the TOP are worth reading but again, experience is key.I've never watched a poker DVD......oh wait, I did watch Caro's Book of tells on VHS a few years ago, but didn't find it very useful since I mainly play online.Friends........this is important to be able to discuss hands, preferably while railing each other.Coach......no idea forums where hands can be discussed are an excellent source on how to look at different lines. The problem with most HH discussion is that the answer is usually read dependant

i really liked Hellmuths book "Play poker like the pros." I still reread it from time to time.
I havent read this in years, but, I have to say this is what did it for me. I was just learning NL and went to the library to see if they had anything about it. There was Play poker like the pros. I had NO CLUE who Hellmuth was at the time (probably wouldnt have picked it up!). After I read it and applied some of the knowledge, I started winning quite a few low limit ($15 buy in) tournies. Once I started to do that people started to want to "talk" poker with me. This, and just watching the game, is where I started to understand the game more. It was a huge jumpstart. Alot of the players that I still play once and a while with from back then are still stuck in the stone ages of poker understanding. I think that initial boost helped me alot.
This is the best book you could ever give a rookie. I am not a fan of the Poker Brat, but this book made a huge difference in my ability to be a winning player. I have read S&M and followed poker forums back when online poker was IRC and the ONLY forum was Rec.gambling.poker, but having 10 starting hands that I could actually remember instead of 8 catagories of hands that I still haven't memorize, gave me solid base that I could go out and employ. Then I could change this or add an idea to my game and figure out how to use position and or work pot odds, implied pot odds and implied TILT odds into my game. Being able to gradually add to a game that was basically sound helped me more than anything.It is a great place for anyone to start and by using a very simple tight hand selection it allows you to see the affect of other tactics as you add them to your game. It is absolutely the most simplistic approach out there, but it gives you a way to start out way above the rest of the pack and then adds layers to your thinking.
This is the best book you could ever give a rookie. I am not a fan of the Poker Brat, but this book made a huge difference in my ability to be a winning player. I have read S&M and followed poker forums back when online poker was IRC and the ONLY forum was Rec.gambling.poker, but having 10 starting hands that I could actually remember instead of 8 catagories of hands that I still haven't memorize, gave me solid base that I could go out and employ. Then I could change this or add an idea to my game and figure out how to use position and or work pot odds, implied pot odds and implied TILT odds into my game. Being able to gradually add to a game that was basically sound helped me more than anything.It is a great place for anyone to start and by using a very simple tight hand selection it allows you to see the affect of other tactics as you add them to your game. It is absolutely the most simplistic approach out there, but it gives you a way to start out way above the rest of the pack and then adds layers to your thinking.
:club:

Sidebar...since we are talking about geting better at poker.In case anyone hasn't yet looked at it please review the "Analysis on DN's Final Table" discussion thread. FT is being peeled apart like the proverbial poker onion, by Daniel himself and some very good players. A rare glimpse into the tournement mindset of one of the best players in the world by himself and several others. Easily one of the best threads ever in General.

Hey fagnuts. If you are so great, why are you a wannabe of anyone? Shouldn't you be "IveyWannaBeMe"DIAF, k thx.
i created this sn so all the punks and low lifes in this site wouldnt think it was me cause useually people who wana be somebody are all on this forum lmao so if i have that sn than ill blend in...oh well **** this sn ill have my topdollar one back soon anyway and if that gets blocked ill get another ...ill keep comeing back and back and back...like i do on the table until the chips are mine lol