Gabe Kaplans Commentary

Whenever the debate about best poker commentary comes around (as I've seen it do many times in my lurking), I've noticed that the debate always centers around the usual trilogy of HSP/Gabe, WPT/Vince&Mike, and WSOP/Norm&Chad. My own ranking there is Gabe, then Norm&Chad (who are pretty good, all things considered), then Vince&Mike a distant third (although admittedly they are somewhat handicapped by the WPT final table structure and the inherently limited variety of situations and play that they can comment on).However, I've got to put my strong vote out to John Duthie, who does the play commentary for his own production, the European Poker Tour. My understanding is that American audiences have never seen this (correct me if I'm wrong), but Canadian audiences saw the first season on the Score a couple of years ago, and TSN carried the second season earlier this year. The quality of Duthie's hand analysis was, in my opinion, on par with Gabe's easily (though without the humour, which Duthie leaves to his sidekick).Am I the only person who's seen the EPT and has similar opinions?Ian. (First time poster).
Yess I have seen the Ept for 2 seasons. Sort of a WTP clone,,,funny guy ,analyst guy and hot chick. A well done show but Duthie doesn't look comfortable doing it. Second season he does better but still looks like he is scared of the camrea. What I like about it is there is no over the top production on the show. No flashing lights or 50 women carrying the prizepool dought to the table. Just poker!!!
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaplans commentary is waaaay too results oriented. Despite this he is far and away the best poker analyst on TV. He is funny and obviously has a good understanding of the game.On the other hand, I am constantly amazed at how Norman Chad is still the analyst for ESPN poker telecasts. He clearly knows little about the technical aspects of the game, and never has anything insightful to add.

does it piss anyone else off? his stupid scripted impressions that are supposed to be funny?dead set every times he does them it just makes me want to shoot him.
I disagree. Him and A.J. Benza are a great team.
They're not doing it live, which only makes it harder. Have you ever announced for live events? I have and its not that easy, especially during dead times. Kaplan has been playing and announcing poker since before you were born. His intelligent remarks towards the game should be admired, not critisized by a 16 year old. The only person I see you seeing in 4 years is the debt consolidation representative. GL, TP/MMM
so what are you saying? that my point is any less valid than yours because i am younger.i have been playing poker since i was 6-7 years old on a daily basis, i know a little bit more about the game than you do.and then without even knowing me you tell me that i am going to go broke even though my bankroll is larger than the ammount of money than most of the people's on this forum.you know nothing about me, so dont talk about me.now you try to tell me that gabes commentary is better than most because he gets given a a script and gets put infront of a comera with mic's to make it look live? i have acted in many plays, gotten a regualr part on daytime tv and know that that man is acting a part, he is not a commentator, he is an actor.be quiet now.
I personally enjoy the commentary on the WSOP vs the WPT. When the players are chatting it up on the tables they actually shut the F**k up. The WPT I never get to hear what the players are saying because Vince and Mike just keep going and going and going and going.........Maxima
that is because the wsop isnt live, therefore they know when to stop recording, the WPT is done live and they are sitting away in a quiet corner where they have small tv sets where they see the hole cards through and that is it. no other cameras to see the overview of the table, nothing. the see what the hole card camera see's.
that is because the wsop isnt live, therefore they know when to stop recording, the WPT is done live and they are sitting away in a quiet corner where they have small tv sets where they see the hole cards through and that is it. no other cameras to see the overview of the table, nothing. the see what the hole card camera see's.
At least 90 percent of the WPT commentary is not done live. Yeah, Mike and Vince sit there and watch, and they do a little bit of talking, most of it when two players are all in and the cards are exposed, but other than that, they just sit there and watch. They can't see people's hole cards, and even if they could, they wouldn't be talking about what they're holding, as they're literally only 15-20 feet away from the table.The only person who can see the hole cards during a WPT taping is a producer in another room, and the only reason for that is so he/she can communicate with Linda Johnson if the players aren't properly showing the cards to the hole cam.

Kaplan is one of the greatest poker analysts out there.At least he's not Norman Chad. Will somebody please tell Norman that his jokes suck, and nobody cares how many wives he's had!

so what are you saying? that my point is any less valid than yours because i am younger.i have been playing poker since i was 6-7 years old on a daily basis, i know a little bit more about the game than you do.and then without even knowing me you tell me that i am going to go broke even though my bankroll is larger than the ammount of money than most of the people's on this forum.you know nothing about me, so dont talk about me.now you try to tell me that gabes commentary is better than most because he gets given a a script and gets put infront of a comera with mic's to make it look live? i have acted in many plays, gotten a regualr part on daytime tv and know that that man is acting a part, he is not a commentator, he is an actor.be quiet now.
Gabe IS an actor by trade. That doesn't mean that's ALL he does. He has proven himself on the WSOP circuit since 1977. Damn near when it began. The man knows what he's talking about. He's amassed a fortune playing poker since his acting career tanked. Obviously he doesn't commentate live. But while recording his commentary, post game, a script is completely ridiculous. I don't know where you get the idea he's given a script? You can't physically write out what he says on TV. It's done in conversational style, and there are NO scriptwriters that EXIST that write those type of scripts. Being a screenwriter I KNOW this for a fact, and you CANNOT even attempt to dispute me. So don't go and take all your 16 years of "knowledge" and try to fool more educated and experienced people. So what, you've been playing since you were 6 or 7? Would you like a lifetime achievement award? You know nothing compared to the rest of us. So why don't YOU be quiet now. I can't stand egotistical little s**ts like you.

kaplan and chad are hilarious. i think kaplan really knows what hes talking about when it comes to poker knowledge and i think norman is hilarious when he makes his wife jokes. i laugh every time but i guess thats just me

I think Mike Sexton is pretty good, but there's a thing that he and Vince do that I don't get.Mike: He's picked up a big hand here.Vince: Yes he has!. . .Vince: He has a big draw here.Mike: Yes he does.They say this stuff all the dang time. Seriously, try it as the WPT drinking game. Every time you hear, "Yes he X!", take a drink.They're not doing this in real time. Surely they could think of something more interesting than flatly agreeing with the obvious.

So because you've been playing poker on a "daily basis" for 10 years (somehow I don't see a 7 year old playing real poker on a "daily basis" but whatever) you're the resident expert and Kaplan (a guy whou has been playing competitive poker for longer than you've been alive) knows nothing?Watch the 1997 WSOP or 1996 World Poker Championship when they WERE commentating live without the benefit of Pocket Cams. Not nearly as exciting as today's commentary, but still good and impressive how Gabe gave insight to the thought process of the players.

I think it's kind of weird that a few people have said Kaplan is results oriented, but nobody has said the same of Chad. I think Chad is way more results oriented. If a player is making a big bluff, and the other player has nothing and lays down it's always a great play. If a player is making a big bluff and they happen to run into a huge hand, the player has obviously lost his or her mind. Of course Kaplan is often guilty of this same attitude, but I notice it more with Chad.Anyway, I like Kaplan's commentary a lot. Chad has slipped and gotten repetitive, and he's never seemed to have that great of a poker knowledge, but he's had his moments.

Kaplan proves that not all people who play poker should do commentary. His voice is grating and he is the master of Capt. Obvious. I liken him to Ron Fairly who does color commentary for the Mariners.In all honesty, if you consider that most of the commentary is recorded after the hands have been finished and a winner has been determined, these performances should be scripted and well acted out. Wasn't he on a hit sitcom in the 70s?!?Although some would not call him an actor either.The only person who has done a worse job at poker commentary is **** Van Patten who was a total uneducated boob when he announced during the pre-hole cams. Now that was some funny chit. At least Norman Chad had Lon to reign him in.