Gabe Kaplans Commentary

I would def take Gabe over Norm anyday.Did anyone see the HSP where he goes on "Tilt" at the end of the show ... walks off and tells the other guy to "go f#%k yourself" ?That was some funny ****.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does it piss anyone else off? his stupid scripted impressions that are supposed to be funny?dead set every times he does them it just makes me want to shoot him.
I have to say that I enjoy Kaplan's commentary better than most. He gets the game and the thinking around the table better than most of these hosts.Also, if you don't like him, then as a now famous sweathog use to say "Up your nose with a rubber hose..."
Kaplans commentary on HSP is hilarious. His jabs at a bought-in-but-actually-avoiding-playing-any-poker Bob Stupak were particularly priceless, along with his Sheiky and Farha sticks. lmao good. :club:
I just wish DN would have hit a set in that hand and busted Stupak.

Chad came to ESPN in 2003, the year Moneymaker won. He's a big part of the reason the WSOP got as popular as it is now. Have you seen any WSOP broadcasts with Kaplan? They are unwatchable. The 1997 outdoor event when Ungar won is creepy, and his commentary on Varkonyi's win in 2002 is almost as awkward as Varkonyi is.That said, Chad stuff is getting a little old (it's ALAN CUNNINGHAM) and Kaplan is lights out now that he's on HSP.

Have you seen any WSOP broadcasts with Kaplan? They are unwatchable.
That could have something to do w/ the fact that they didn't have hole card cams. Just guessing.... Without that info it was a lot more guesswork back then. Kaplan is the Duke.
I would def take Gabe over Norm anyday.Did anyone see the HSP where he goes on "Tilt" at the end of the show ... walks off and tells the other guy to "go f#%k yourself" ?That was some funny ****.
I like Gabe, but that was some bad acting there. They were soooo faking it.Now, if he would have punched the guy in the gut, and when he doubled over, kicked him in the butt....that would have been funny.

Vince "Big Slick" Van Patten and Norman "Wamboozled" Chad can get very old and start to sound like machines. Gabe's okay. Vince is funny tho, just the way his persona is, real HollywoodEDIT: Was just thinking of some funny commentator quotes, anyone remember Erick Lindgren in Season 1/2 of the WPT and Mike Sexton calling him The American Idol, lol, I found that funny, that is all

Hey OP, what poker shows do you commentate for? I always laugh at people who talk down about announcers, most of them have never tried to do it and have no idea how difficult it can be. Be glad we have people like Gabe who are good at what they do.
hahahahaha are you serious?you can only say "have you ever done that" when it is actually possible like "have you ever run straight for a day?"oh and anyone can be good at what he does because the information is not his, he is handed a script and he reads from it while watching the tape to keep it is sync. people who think norman chad and gabe kaplan are actually doing the commentary live are ****tards
hahahahaha are you serious?you can only say "have you ever done that" when it is actually possible like "have you ever run straight for a day?"oh and anyone can be good at what he does because the information is not his, he is handed a script and he reads from it while watching the tape to keep it is sync. people who think norman chad and gabe kaplan are actually doing the commentary live are ****tards
They're not doing it live, which only makes it harder. Have you ever announced for live events? I have and its not that easy, especially during dead times. Kaplan has been playing and announcing poker since before you were born. His intelligent remarks towards the game should be admired, not critisized by a 16 year old. The only person I see you seeing in 4 years is the debt consolidation representative. GL, TP/MMM
They're not doing it live, which only makes it harder. Have you ever announced for live events? I have and its not that easy, especially during dead times. Kaplan has been playing and announcing poker since before you were born. His intelligent remarks towards the game should be admired, not critisized by a 16 year old. The only person I see you seeing in 4 years is the debt consolidation representative. GL, TP/MMM
What?

I personally enjoy the commentary on the WSOP vs the WPT. When the players are chatting it up on the tables they actually shut the F**k up. The WPT I never get to hear what the players are saying because Vince and Mike just keep going and going and going and going.........Maxima

Whenever the debate about best poker commentary comes around (as I've seen it do many times in my lurking), I've noticed that the debate always centers around the usual trilogy of HSP/Gabe, WPT/Vince&Mike, and WSOP/Norm&Chad. My own ranking there is Gabe, then Norm&Chad (who are pretty good, all things considered), then Vince&Mike a distant third (although admittedly they are somewhat handicapped by the WPT final table structure and the inherently limited variety of situations and play that they can comment on).However, I've got to put my strong vote out to John Duthie, who does the play commentary for his own production, the European Poker Tour. My understanding is that American audiences have never seen this (correct me if I'm wrong), but Canadian audiences saw the first season on the Score a couple of years ago, and TSN carried the second season earlier this year. The quality of Duthie's hand analysis was, in my opinion, on par with Gabe's easily (though without the humour, which Duthie leaves to his sidekick).Am I the only person who's seen the EPT and has similar opinions?Ian. (First time poster).