Pitchfork's Year-end-lists

I'm a huge fan of lists, so December is a particularly joyful month for me. Being a dyed-in-the-wool-cut-from-the-flock-of-Pitchfork-sheep Hipster, I usually really enjoy looking at Pitchfork's year end lists to bitch about, and/or track down albums and tracks I might have missed.So, here's the link to Pitchfork's Top 100 songs.The top 100 albums come out tomorrow, I think.http://pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/..._Tracks_of_2006My top 5 tracks for the year, which I made up in like 3 seconds before reading the list, were:Clipse- TrillJunior Boys- In the MorningJoanna Newsom- EmilyScott Walker- JesseBand of Horses- The FuneralShockingly, 4 of those are on the list. Talk:Wang

Also, for like the next 24 hours, I'd like to see predictions regarding what Pitchfork's top 5 (or 10) albums will be. I'm curious.
AFX and Junior Boys will be two of them.

i'd be willing to bet that tv on the radio or joanna newsom will be the #1 album. although i wouldn't be surprised if they went with hold steady either. ryan loves those dudes. i personally can't stand them.predictable enough, their top ten will probably be:tvotrjoanna newsomclipseghostfacescott walkerliarsjunior boysdanielsonhold steadysunn o)))

i'd be willing to bet that tv on the radio or joanna newsom will be the #1 album. although i wouldn't be surprised if they went with hold steady either. ryan loves those dudes. i personally can't stand them.predictable enough, their top ten will probably be:tvotrjoanna newsomclipseghostfacescott walkerliarsjunior boysdanielsonhold steadysunn o)))
I think Junior Boys, Liars, Joanna Newsom, TVOTR are locks. I have a feeling The Hold Steady will get a spot near like 15ish. I never know what they're doing with hiphop, but I THINK Clipse makes the cut. I think the Knife disc is gonna make it. Phoenix is one of my darkhorses. Beirut is my other. Man Man is my thrird.It'll probably be an intentionally divisive list, like they always contrive to do. Something like "Beyonce" #1. Wang
I think Junior Boys, Liars, Joanna Newsom, TVOTR are locks. I have a feeling The Hold Steady will get a spot near like 15ish. I never know what they're doing with hiphop, but I THINK Clipse makes the cut. I think the Knife disc is gonna make it.
yeah, i wouldn't be surprised to see the knife or hot chip sneak into the top 10.
i think ryan's taste is often terrible. there isn't a single original idea on that site. most of what's good is lifted from Wire.
actually this is my taste speaking, but whatever. he likes hot chip I think.
i haven't heard of a single band mentioned in this thread.anyone want to point me to a list/review of some of the year's top albums that isn't just annoying faux-hipster pop bands pretending to be indie?
sweet, way to judge stuff you haven't heard. sure sign of a smart, critical listener.
sweet, way to judge stuff you haven't heard. sure sign of a smart, critical listener.
pretty sure i wasn't judging the music, since i just said i never listened to it. i simply asked for a link, meeting certain qualities. in my experience, pitchfork's list would not meet those qualifications, so i am hoping someone can provide a better one, to assist me in wading through the year's music.i hope this clarification makes my last post allowable in your Kingdom of Smugginess

Ah, the pitchfork list time of year. It's the real reason we love the holidays, isn't it?Usually it isn't too difficult to pick their number one album of the year, but this year things seem to be a bit up in the air. I agree with Wang and think that the most likely candidates are something like Cookie Mountain or Joanna Newsom (and no, I don't think Beyonce will be the number one spot).It's pretty shocking how amazing their taste has been though, isn't it? Pitchfork's lists are one of my favorite ways to get into new albums.

pretty sure i wasn't judging the music, since i just said i never listened to it. i simply asked for a link, meeting certain qualities. in my experience, pitchfork's list would not meet those qualifications, so i am hoping someone can provide a better one, to assist me in wading through the year's music.i hope this clarification makes my last post allowable in your Kingdom of Smugginess
you wrote: "...just annoying faux-hipster pop bands pretending to be indie".pretty sure that's judging, and not in a favorable manner.

For the record, pitchfork's taste in music is not only more or less impeccable, it is both eclectic and unbiased. They are by no means slaves to "hipster indie" music, whatever that would be. I would argue that they have among the widest range of appreciation of music of any major reviewing source (magazines, internet, etc).

you wrote: "...just annoying faux-hipster pop bands pretending to be indie".pretty sure that's judging, and not in a favorable manner.
Someone's defensive...Embrace your inner ClicheHipster; it's the only way not to be a punchline baby. We're taking the word BACK (wang says, as he slips on his Dinosaur, Jr. t-shirt)Wang
For the record, pitchfork's taste in music is not only more or less impeccable, it is both eclectic and unbiased. They are by no means slaves to "hipster indie" music, whatever that would be. I would argue that they have among the widest range of appreciation of music of any major reviewing source (magazines, internet, etc).
I agree to a degree. I definitely use them as my musical-compass. I surely miss out on a whole lot because of it, but track down a whole lot more I'd never hear (since the hippest my friends get is old "New Wave" and maybe the new "Ghostface"). But at the same time, they can kinda become a parody of themselves sometimes. And I think they sometimes try to either play off their image and go the other way (Justin Timberlake with the #1 song of 2k6), or embrace their readers and eschew anything that's too mainstreamBut I still use their year-end lists to find new music, every single year. So, go Fork.Wang
Someone's defensive...Embrace your inner ClicheHipster; it's the only way not to be a punchline baby. We're taking the word BACK (wang says, as he slips on his Dinosaur, Jr. t-shirt)Wang
lol, you'll notice i'm chastising pitchfork for not being smug enough. justin timberlake was their #1 song of the year for chrissakes.