Daniel Dropping Out Of High School 1 Credit Short?

And so are the ones who drop out.They just have a different shepherd.
Good pointBut this sets me apart, since I got kicked out of school.my fraternity is exclusive, we talk about millionaire things
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not bashing Daniel at all just stating a point of mine. You people are out of control. I think Daniel understands what I am saying. I respect Daniel greatly. I just am saying that what he said is against what should be believed. They might not be drawing dead but they have anout 4 outs drawing to a gut shot straight sraw if at 18 they drop out of school to become a poker pro and find out at 25 they are not good enough. They are really behind the 8 ball. I truly believe Daniel lacked the guidance but in the end it all worked out for him. That's like saying it worked out for marbury of the Knicks. Sure he is a multi millionaire and a successful NBA player but what about the 100,000 of kids who gave up theur education to be NBA players. Daniel is not the norm but an exception. He lacked the guidance needed to succeed at a young age. PERIOD!!! I am sure his mom was disappointed at the time. But it worked out the same way for Bill Gates but they are the exception not the NORM!! He is not helping our youth by giving them pipe dreams. 1 in a million hopes! But again like Charles Barkley once said we are not role models. A street hustler can be real smart but what a great way to make aliving. I mean give me a break. No education means living the hard life for most people. It's kind of like talent. You have it in you to be great but if u don't apply it you will never get to where you should be in life. Look the worst thign in life is not wasted talent but overating your ability to do something. over confidence is the downfall of most poker players and most people in life. Knowing your capabilities is the greatest asset you can have. As for poker players many are very smart. Doyle is a college graduate if i rememebr correctly. And Chip is too I think. And you can tell their intellect right away when you hear them talk. Some others like mike mausow you going to tell me you want me to value his opinion. Then there is dutch boyd. A educational genius who has obviously has some sort of sickness or m ental disorder. I will guarantee you one thing Ibet you Dutch is a smart guy. Some I ma sure are smart and some did graduate college. Annie Duke very smart. SPoke to her once and was amazed at her intelligence where is Jennifer Harman who is a hell of a poker player does not come off as intelligent. I mean I am sure Daniel can tell you better than me who is intelligent. Howard never graduated college i believe but man when i met him you know you were in the presence of a smart man. Well i guess to tell me that poke rplayers are smart i would have to agree but a lot of them graduated college and i am sure they have their children finish school. Besides Todd, which if i stand correct Doyle did not even introduce him to the game he just learned and brought himself into poker. Why? becauseDoyle knew what was inportant. Well enough. By the way this all started because of my sons friends who loves Daniel started writing letters to senator frist about poker. well to make a long story hsort they all think they are winning the WSOP and retiring at 21. Great Job!
It is a problem that people are dropping out of school/quiting their jobs to try and turn pro and make millions, but it isn't Daniel's fault and you shouldn't take it out on him. I'm sure Daniel would be the first person to tell kids to stay in school. I've never heard him encourage people to drop out. Blaming Daniel is almost as bad as blaming metal bands and video games for children commiting violent crimes. You should spend time talking to your sons instead of taking out your anger at Daniel. Daniel is only living his life and doing what works for him. If you truely believed he lacked the proper guidance as a child, try to give that guidance to your sons now. The life of a gambler is a very uncertain one. Perhaps you should direct them to the thread about Daniel going broke over 20 times, it might open thier eyes up a little. Not every player who goes broke has friends they can borrow from. And even if they do.. it doesn't mean they will win with that money. And that's about the time where legs start to get broken

for the young people on this site:having dreams is well and good, but it's important to remember that DN and balloon guy are providing anecdotal evidence, and for every non-college graduate millionaire there are a few thousand who make less than $30k/year. get your degree, then forge your own path.From the U.S. Census Bureau, Housing and Household Economic Statistics Information Staff, August 29, 2006Median Income by educational attainment:High School Non-Graduate: $20,321High School Graduate: $26,505College Graduate (Bachelor's Degree): $43,143http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032006/perinc/new03_001.htm

for the young people on this site:having dreams is well and good, but it's important to remember that DN and balloon guy are providing anecdotal evidence, and for every non-college graduate millionaire there are a few thousand who make less than $30k/year. get your degree, then forge your own path.From the U.S. Census Bureau, Housing and Household Economic Statistics Information Staff, August 29, 2006Median Income by educational attainment:High School Non-Graduate: $20,321High School Graduate: $26,505College Graduate (Bachelor's Degree): $43,143http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032006/perinc/new03_001.htm
Good post. Most convincing one in this thread. DN and Balloon guy are exceptions to the rule. Call me a sheep if you will but if I had dropped out of high school I probably wouldn't have any of the things I have now unless I got very lucky somehow.

I'll add my two cents here. It's quite simple: the adjectives "intelligent" and "educated" are not the same, although they not mutually exclusive either.From what I've seen on television, DN is clearly VERY intelligent. From what I've read on this forum and in his blogs, DN is also rather well-educated, although not all of it is in a formal manner. He definitely reads more books and watches more educational television programming than the average bear.FWIW#1: The Canadian high school system is different than what we have here in the USA. DN was 6 credits short of graduating? Remember that a high school degree in Canada is a 13 year program. If he completed Grade 12, then he has the equivalent education of a USA-high school degree.FWIW#2: I know someone who dropped out of high school. She never received her degree. Somehow, she managed to take a few continuing education classes at the local community college... did well... took a few more classes... yadda yadda yadda... she now has a PhD but no high school diploma.

Blaming Daniel is almost as bad as blaming metal bands and video games for children commiting violent crimes.
Totally different, video games are responsible for teen crimes.I want to be clear, most of you will not be as lucky as me and succeed without an edumacation. If you think Poker is your lottery, then you are a fish.If on the other hand you recognize that an education is not the only way to succeed, then you are one step above most.Watch most of the WSOP and see how many young people going deep are college students and or graduates, the majority are. Jamie Gold went to college...enough said.
Perhaps we could just agree that a college education is the poker equivalent of running it twice.
no. probably the oppositeyour variance is higher with a college education as is your EVrunning it twice lowers variance and has no effect on EV.otherwise you were dead on
I doubt that. If you have as much money as you say you would be smart enough to shelter your income from taxes (legally) or hire someone else to do it for you!
huh? So you're saying that only dumb rich people pay taxes? Stay off the reefer.

I have to be honest. I'm truly offended by the notion that I lacked guidance as a child. I had the greatest parents a kid could ask for and I think they did an excellent job raising me and teaching me the merits of school and life lessons. I had guidance. What you fail to understand is that I was a smart kid, very determined, a little bit stubborn, and I had a lot of confidence in myself. What do you really think you could have done to sway me from my eventual path? There is nothing you could have done to make me change my path. Frankly, if you did try to force me to give up on my dreams I would resent you as a parent and lilely have a poor relationship with you. My father and mother both gave me options. They discouraged me time and time again from leaving school for poker, but they also respected me enough to let me try and live out my dream. My father was a hustler as a kid so he understood. I'm a lot like him, only he was a tough SOB! My dad grew up as a child working on the black market, pretty much by himself. He taught me a lot about how to make it in this world on your own, with or without an education. My dad came to Canada with $5 and worked with my mother at a candy floss station at an amusement park. About a month later, he was doing electrical work at the amusement park. Later, he starting working as an electrician in Toronto and making good money. He then bought a house. As soon as he paid the house off, he bought another one and rented out the first one. Then he did that again. He raised two boys and we never starved. Frankly, I'd say we were upper-middle class. We owned three properties and my money would come in every month. My father was one of the smartest people I've ever known... he didn't read English very well, or didn't go to school at all, for that matter, but he was a winner in life. He was also an awesome father. There is one other thing that struck me about your last post. You had conversations with a few people and deemed them either intelligent based on those conversations. You couldn't have been more wrong as it turns out. There is a GREAT scene in Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon mocks a couple guys at Harvard who "talk a good game" but don't have a single thought of their own. They read a lot of stuff, and memorized certain things in those books... but that doesn't make them smart. Jennifer Harman, if you spoke to her you might think she is a "dumb blonde." She happens to be brilliant. She is without a doubt the Michael Jordan of women poker players, but if you judged her by a conversation there is no way you'd know that. Get to know her, and then wow, you start to really understand what seperates her from the rest. It's no coincidence that she is the only successful high limit poker player in the world. It's no coincidence that Doyle, Chip, and the others felt comfortable with her playing against Andy Beal for their money. It's certainly not because Jenn is "well spoken," it's because they know she is a genius. Jenn doesn't talk a good game... she plays one.

blog it.no really.but yeah, "let's go beat up some smaaahht kids" good movie actually get teary eyed.part where Mork says "and the words 'visiting hours' have no meaning', somethng like thatand when Ben goes to his apartment and Matt's not there at the end.solid movie. Now I'm choked up.

blog it.no really.but yeah, "let's go beat up some smaaahht kids" good movie actually get teary eyed.part where Mork says "and the words 'visiting hours' have no meaning', somethng like thatand when Ben goes to his apartment and Matt's not there at the end.solid movie. Now I'm choked up.
I just wonder how he ended up doing in the WSOP...

In my opinion it is such a huge error in judgement to teach your kids a bias like that of the opinions of those with little to no formal education are of less value than the opinions of scholars. I don't believe any logical human being would argue against formal education being a more secure route to take in life however it simply is not the be all end all of who you are as a person intellectually or not. I used to work with a man who while approaching forty had been in his current position for ten years when we would have conversation regarding goals, dreams and your place in the world his only point of contention was that at 22 he graduated at the top in his class with a degree. I always thought that that was such a shame that even at forty he was still using an achievement from 22 as the definition of who he was. Now I'm not taking anything away from the work that went into him obtaining a degree it is certainly an accomplishment to be proud of but to be forty and to define yourself based primarily on something that happened so long ago is really quite sad to me. Whether your path to higher knowledge has been through school or an ulternate route I strongly believe that if you are not moving forward in life you are moving backwards. The sum of a person as a whole should not be based on there diploma, degree or what you gather from one conversation. Educated or not this is a very narrow minded way to approach life. Just my opinion.

I want to be clear, most of you will not be as lucky as me and succeed without an edumacation. If you think Poker is your lottery, then you are a fish.If on the other hand you recognize that an education is not the only way to succeed, then you are one step above most.
I agree with both of the above statements. Well said.
I have to be honest. I'm truly offended by the notion that I lacked guidance as a child. I had the greatest parents a kid could ask for and I think they did an excellent job raising me and teaching me the merits of school and life lessons. I had guidance. What you fail to understand is that I was a smart kid, very determined, a little bit stubborn, and I had a lot of confidence in myself. What do you really think you could have done to sway me from my eventual path? There is nothing you could have done to make me change my path. Frankly, if you did try to force me to give up on my dreams I would resent you as a parent and lilely have a poor relationship with you. My father and mother both gave me options. They discouraged me time and time again from leaving school for poker, but they also respected me enough to let me try and live out my dream. My father was a hustler as a kid so he understood. I'm a lot like him, only he was a tough SOB! My dad grew up as a child working on the black market, pretty much by himself. He taught me a lot about how to make it in this world on your own, with or without an education. My dad came to Canada with $5 and worked with my mother at a candy floss station at an amusement park. About a month later, he was doing electrical work at the amusement park. Later, he starting working as an electrician in Toronto and making good money. He then bought a house. As soon as he paid the house off, he bought another one and rented out the first one. Then he did that again. He raised two boys and we never starved. Frankly, I'd say we were upper-middle class. We owned three properties and my money would come in every month. My father was one of the smartest people I've ever known... he didn't read English very well, or didn't go to school at all, for that matter, but he was a winner in life. He was also an awesome father. There is one other thing that struck me about your last post. You had conversations with a few people and deemed them either intelligent based on those conversations. You couldn't have been more wrong as it turns out. There is a GREAT scene in Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon mocks a couple guys at Harvard who "talk a good game" but don't have a single thought of their own. They read a lot of stuff, and memorized certain things in those books... but that doesn't make them smart. Jennifer Harman, if you spoke to her you might think she is a "dumb blonde." She happens to be brilliant. She is without a doubt the Michael Jordan of women poker players, but if you judged her by a conversation there is no way you'd know that. Get to know her, and then wow, you start to really understand what seperates her from the rest. It's no coincidence that she is the only successful high limit poker player in the world. It's no coincidence that Doyle, Chip, and the others felt comfortable with her playing against Andy Beal for their money. It's certainly not because Jenn is "well spoken," it's because they know she is a genius. Jenn doesn't talk a good game... she plays one.
You obviously make the correct choice in life for you.
Daniel, you should say something to those kids who think they can be just like you and not go to school. That's what this guy is pissed about. Or maybe it's because you are more of a hero to his own kids than he is. Either way, not everyone can be a Daniel Negreanu, so "Enough Jibba Jabba, Don't do drugs, I pity da fool, that doesn't stay in school"

In all honesty, I don't know why you're letting this guy get to you. He's probably loving every second of getting under your skin and your fans skins. I'm telling you he knows he's being rude, and probably never acts like this in front of people.

I was thinking exactly along the same lines you were. Great movie:Will: See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna staht doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certaintees in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a ****in education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library
If you live your life worrying about whether you have the ability to do something, you will be a failure in most of your endevours.I understand what you are saying about don't waste effort on pipe dreams, but you are sounding like an old woman.Young boys should have dreams bigger then themselves, dumb ones, big ones, and crazy ones.They should follow as many as they can. They can live in their cars for a while, makes em tough.The fact that you have settled for New Jersey shows you never followed your dreams.just sayingAnd most college educated people I know are sheep, they never seem to break out and do anything of substance. And professors are hiding from reality as a rule
Wow what a crock of ****. First off i live in a beautiful area ion New Jersey and i chose this area over westchester county which is in New York (Scarsdale was the town) I am quite waeakthy not Daniel wealthy but well enough. Having dreams i love my son and he can dream all he wants but there is an age when dreams should be ambitons. you are an idiot why am i even responding to such garbage. What is substance? I runa big company and I spend a lot of time and money donating to things that help society. You are way off!
Good pointBut this sets me apart, since I got kicked out of school.my fraternity is exclusive, we talk about millionaire things
you do you sit here and have 2000 posts about what? what do you do for a living? I am a millionaire. I have amillion dollars. What do you do?And again where I live in New Jersey makes Sands Point LOng Island look cheap
you do you sit here and have 2000 posts about what? what do you do for a living? I am a millionaire. I have amillion dollars. What do you do?And again where I live in New Jersey makes Sands Point LOng Island look cheap
I blow up balloons mostly.Actually of my 2000 post, 1900 of them are really lame.But 100 of them...pure gold.Glad to see that Cornell education didn't go to waste. Hope you give a lot of your money to help underpriveledged children learn to write well. Or is it good? I always get that mixed up.Oh well, I never went to high school, what's your excuse?
I am sorry to disagree Daniel but Jennifer Harmna is not a genius and I do not think you re subjective when it comes to her at all. SO i will leave it at that. As for your parents BS. No parents would ever let there child not graduate high school. College I can see High School BS. That is a lack of guidance and control. Yes you would of lost your dream of you complete that last year or 6 credits. It would of been all over. The dream is dead. You are wrong. By the way i have friends who played some high stakes about 6 to 7 years ago with Jen harman and told me that she is great poker player but not the sharpest tool in the shed in other areas. they also said she threw a little fit on a bad call by a guy who sucked out which rubber everyone at the table the wrong way. I personally do not know Jen but from what I hear I disagree. Funny you stick up for her but nike Mike Matusow or stand there and say yeah chip and doyle are both smaret guys and yes they are smarter than Jennifer Harman as poker players as well in other areas. that i know from talking to a lot of people well i shouldn't say a lot of people but enough people who know them. I love this game and know a lot of high rollers from back in the day pre boom that played with some of those players and still communicate with them. Now you are referring to a stereotypical movie that sums up your point and is the furthest thing from a real story ever. Look that seen is proving a point just like the bum who helps the student at harvard (Brendan Fraser movie) He helped him do it all a bum what great intelligence. Well sorry to burst it but that is one of the staples of movies. the uneducated showing their superior intelligence even though they are uneducated. I can name a million of those movies. Yes most people from Harvard just repeat verbatim what they read they do not know how to apply it or comprehend it they are just repeating it. Great scene! Get out of here!As for your dad he did what he had to do. He had a fmaily to raise and did all he could do to give them a better life than he had. And from what I read he did. that is a good father. That i agree with. Good Lcuk Daniel! I am very busy and talking to you through this has been a highlight of my week but I have so much work to do and this conversation just goes around in circles. Plus your lackies are unreal. they do not form opinions they just say whatever you want them to say.
I think you are right to encourage your sons to go to college and that kids should be aware that most poker players do not make millions of dollars. A back-up plan is important. You are probably not a bad guy. But you're kind'a sad.You come on some guy's website (which is somewhat like a club) and trash the guy who owns it. Then you seem to have this need to brag about your college, your nice neighborhood, etc.That's sad.

I don't want to read 3 pages so this may have been posted:I read somewhere (blog?) that he was expelled for running a poker game in the cafeteria.

I blow up balloons mostly.Actually of my 2000 post, 1900 of them are really lame.But 100 of them...pure gold.Glad to see that Cornell education didn't go to waste. Hope you give a lot of your money to help underpriveledged children learn to write well. Or is it good? I always get that mixed up.Oh well, I never went to high school, what's your excuse?
Sorry man i am typing fast and have work to do as i said before this will be my last day posting. And turst me my shildren do not look up to Daniel my 17 year old thinks he is homosexual which is terribel thing to say when the guy is married and very religious. His firends thinkt he same but jsut want that life to be theirs so they are jealous or just dreamers either way it is not daniel they want to be it is the life that he leads that they want. This is the only place i guess where apro talks and blogs everything so they read it. nwo i am sorry about spelling and grammar but I have bigger fish to fry then this silly forum of a great poker player and some sorry followers who live thorugh him vicariously