Daniel Dropping Out Of High School 1 Credit Short?

What could possibly be the motivation behind doing that (if it is true, from wiki). It also says that he went to Vegas and bust out when he began, returning to Toronto build his bankroll. Wondering if daniel can explain the logic behind dropping out so soon to graduation and also which ways he went to rebuilding his roll (crappy jobs etc lol). If it's been covered I apologise and please post a link, otherwise a take from DN would be interesting....

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What could possibly be the motivation behind doing that (if it is true, from wiki). It also says that he went to Vegas and bust out when he began, returning to Toronto build his bankroll. Wondering if daniel can explain the logic behind dropping out so soon to graduation and also which ways he went to rebuilding his roll (crappy jobs etc lol). If it's been covered I apologise and please post a link, otherwise a take from DN would be interesting....
I dont know how high school works in Canada, but dropping out 1 credit short makes no sense. In California (from what I remember), you dont deal with "credits" - you deal with grades and subjects. You complete the subjects for each grade level and you are done. Credits are attributed to College, as far as I understand. Hence why I graduated UCSB early by 1 year - I went to summer school and finished classes then and got "credits." If someone can explain how high school works in Canada, I'd love to hear it. Do they do it like its done in College here?
I dont know how high school works in Canada, but dropping out 1 credit short makes no sense. In California (from what I remember), you dont deal with "credits" - you deal with grades and subjects. You complete the subjects for each grade level and you are done. Credits are attributed to College, as far as I understand. Hence why I graduated UCSB early by 1 year - I went to summer school and finished classes then and got "credits." If someone can explain how high school works in Canada, I'd love to hear it. Do they do it like its done in College here?
you still need a certain amount of credits to graduate high school in california.

If Daniel was planning on just playing poker I dont really see why he would care about finishing high school until the point where he felt he needed to get some real work.

you still need a certain amount of credits to graduate high school in california.
Its been a long time for me, but I dont remember getting a choice on any classes I took so how do they deal with credits? I was just given a schedule at the beginning of each year:EnglishMathScienceLanguage (thats something I could pick but you had to have at least 2 years of 1 language) - I picked californias primary language - spanishHistoryIm curious how it works now, although I will find out again in a few years as my daughter will be there soon.
If Daniel was planning on just playing poker I dont really see why he would care about finishing high school until the point where he felt he needed to get some real work.
You really think he thought about that? What kinda work do you get with a GED or the equiv in canada of? He took the shot and got lucky and good for him, but I don't think he ever felt he was gonna go back and get that high school diploma. It was poker or bust - it probably would have turned out very bad for him had it not worked out. Show me a person who dropped out, then failed at what they were going to do - where do you think they are now? Jail or on the street.
Its been a long time for me, but I dont remember getting a choice on any classes I took so how do they deal with credits? I was just given a schedule at the beginning of each year:EnglishMathScienceLanguage (thats something I could pick but you had to have at least 2 years of 1 language) - I picked californias primary language - spanishHistoryIm curious how it works now, although I will find out again in a few years as my daughter will be there soon.
in my school district here in michigan, the day was split into 6 hour long classes with an optional hour long class starting an hour before normal school. Each semester of a class passed was worth 0.5 credits. You needed at least 4 english credits, 2 science credits (3 recommended), 3 math credits (4 recommended), 1 fine arts credit (0.5 if art taken in junior high, foreign language included in this), 3 social studies credits (state mandated govt. class and history classes included in this), 0.5 computer credits (can be waived with junior high class), 1 PE credit (0.5 if participating in an interscholastic sport), and 8.5 credits of electives to graduate.Also, if you fail to graduate, you must enroll in a full year of classes the following year to get credits, so if you come one credit short, you still need to take 6 classes the following year. Which I believe would be a decent reason why one credit would be enough.
considering he knew what he wanted to do, who cares about HS or the extra credit...He dropped out to start his career in poker as soon as possible..the extra credit equated to him getting his master in underwater basket weaving.....useless...and ...in the end...great decision

I think HS diploma is important but after that not so much.I dropped out (University) but consider myself quite successful (job, family....etc)It's all about willingness to learn and help your company to succeed. Don't need school for most jobs. And when we hire we look for people with demonstrated experience over someone who lived in school for years and years.~ SB

I got kicked out of continuation school in 9th grade.self made millionaire todayschool is for suckers
Statistically I'm sure you are an exception. Most high school drop outs don't nearly fair as well. If you had kids, would you tell them it's ok to drop out in grade 9? I'm sure you would rather have them finish high school and pursue higher education if they had the drive and intelligence to do so. I'm not saying school is for everyone, there are lots of guys on here who make more than I do playing a game I love (poker obviously) but for most people, more education means a better job and more money. As for learning, I'm sure that you've learned a lot through the school of hard knocks and you've worked really hard to get where you are today. If you have the drive and intelligence to learn, it doesn't necessarily need to be done in school.

I got kicked out of my private school my senior year as well, and never looked back. I run my own advertising firm and make well over six figures.

How did you come about making millions?
Id like to say good stock picks, but actually real estate, and lucky timing.Bought my first building in 2000, second in 2002, paid one off and will pay off other one in 2 years. they generate $8,000 a month gross.My company was of the size that allowed me to buy up alot of company's props when they went under after 9-11. I then picked up alot of work from the vaccum left by the failed companies. We had a 60% growth spurt the next year.So the company gave me opportunity to buy buildings and pay them off early, the real estate boom in California made me a millionaire. I still don't dress well enough to be allowed in my country club's clubhouse most days, I drive a Ford, wear Vans, and get a haircut every 2 months.But my cigars have gotten better. And I pay more in taxes than most people in this country make in a year. :club:
And I pay more in taxes than most people in this country make in a year. :club:
I wish I could say I feel sorry for you, but you're problem is one that I think most people would like to have.
you had to have a certain number of credits in all of those categories you mentioned. i believe the total was 215 credits. i think you got 5 credits per passing semester per class. you also had to have some PE and electives. i dunno, maybe that was only my school in california...but it was a public school, so i assume things would be the same for all california schools.
I wish I could say I feel sorry for you, but you're problem is one that I think most people would like to have.
They can't charge you if you don't make it,But I always thought rich people avoided taxes. I guess I haven't got accepted into the club.