Steve7stud-accepting New Students

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy when he talks to me, we'll be talkin, and all of a sudden, BOOM he links me to that dumb picture.
I don't link it to you, it's because you are so enamored with it that you can't help yourself from clicking on my MSN av.btw, nice chipstack Carlos.
Steve- I have heard (this may not be true, I apologize if it is not) that you charge a substantial amount for your training services. If this is the case, I'd be interested to hear your accomplishments/history in the poker world. i'm interested in applying for your services, but it kind of rests on these questions.
I think that Mark (NoSup4u) did a pretty good job of answering this question, but let me elaborate. I would say that my greatest accomplishment in the poker world is playing for the last 10 years and making a very healthy living doing so. Only 5% of people who play poker are winning players. It's true that David Oppenheim is my poker mentor. If you look at Daniel's first heads up match, David used my account to accept his challenge. My greatest strength is knowing how to play all games well. I play anywhere from 20-40.......200-400. I think all of my students have seen me play both live and online and have learned from my play. As far as a training fee goes, I personally don't think that it's a substantial amount. There are people on 2+2 who charge quite a bit for hourly lessons. On the other hand, they have some programs that are quite cheap and you just watch videos.My core training is 6 months. In that time I am able to cover topics that I feel are paramount in a person success as a poker player. After that time, each individual is welcome to stay on and train idefinitely. I am constantly trying to work with each student and improve their game. But more importantly, I make myself available at crucial times.The bottom line is. I don't want people to make the same mistakes that I have made. And trust me, I've made plenty. The program that I have designed deals with the mental side of poker. And learning how to be a winning player for life. That is accomplished through repetition.I stated in another thread that there are some truly talented no limit coaches out there. And on this forum we have some amazing online no limit tourney players. If your goal is to just play online tourneys, I would not be the right choice for you.Oddly enough, you have a picture of Phil Ivey in your avatar. I've learned quite a bit from Phil. I'm lucky because Phil and David O are friends. So a lot of times I get to sit behind the two of them and watch them play.In regard to tournament players on the circuit. You would have no idea how many of them are busted. Not to say that they don't have talent. But it would be quite difficult for them to teach you about money management and cash games.Anyway, I hope that helps to answer your question.

Wow I didn't know there is a fairly ridiculous amount involved to join this. Oh well, he didn't respond to my PM anyway.

I understand you might not be comfortable posting this information, but if you do charge a fee for your tutoring, how much is it?
So this entire thread basically boils down to a highly respected member of the community finding a way to circumvent the...... spam.gif filter
So this entire thread basically boils down to a highly respected member of the community finding a way to circumvent the...... spam.gif filter
can't beleive it hasn't been locked up from the beg. :club: Dude, isn't going to reply to anyone. For those wanting to "join" why not just make a group of your own? C'mon now quit being followers? BECOME LEADERS! :D

I have a question...not really sure how to word this so it may come out jumbled.Does anyone think that having a coach, or in this case, a "class" or "support group" is any different than a placebo or a drug? I won't mention the amount it costs in case Steve doesn't want me to, but anyone that can afford the amount it costs certainly has already been at least moderately successful at poker or other parts of life...or at the very least takes the game very seriously.That being the case, I don't doubt Steve's abilities or the effect he may have on some students...and perhaps he truly brings discipline to the undisciplined...etc. I don't really know the details. I am just wondering if someone that wasn't quite as successful as Steve was doing the coaching, depending on the dynamic of the class, could benefit from feeling they are being "coached." Would this not inherently make people focus more, and therefore, become more successful players? Again, I am sure the class runs deeper than this and teaches new games, etc. Perhaps I am way off base on this, I would be happy for someone to quickly put me in my place and shut me up. I would hope it goes without saying that I mean no disrespect by this post. I think they are valid questions, though. And sorry...it did come out pretty jumbled, as expected.

I think the fact that people put up some money makes it more of a serious commitment. If he didn't charge anything it would be pretty easy to blow him off, and take a half hearted approach.

I think the fact that people put up some money makes it more of a serious commitment. If he didn't charge anything it would be pretty easy to blow him off, and take a half hearted approach.
Granted. I just think that in the interest of full disclosure, since this is essentially an advertisement for personal services for profit, the payment part should be disclosed from the outset. If it's a profit-sharing arrangement with variable terms, then I can understand not hashing out the details until later. But if it's an up-front cost for lessons, then I see no reason not to disclose the terms in the initial post.The only reason I can think of not to disclose would be that the price would deter many from inquiring at all initially, and the selectivity aspect might make those who are actually chosen feel "special" enough to ultimately fork over the dough. Steve strikes me as a forthright guy with fine credentials, but this whole thing still smells like a right to spam purchased with reputational capital.
I have a question...not really sure how to word this so it may come out jumbled.Does anyone think that having a coach, or in this case, a "class" or "support group" is any different than a placebo or a drug? I won't mention the amount it costs in case Steve doesn't want me to, but anyone that can afford the amount it costs certainly has already been at least moderately successful at poker or other parts of life...or at the very least takes the game very seriously.That being the case, I don't doubt Steve's abilities or the effect he may have on some students...and perhaps he truly brings discipline to the undisciplined...etc. I don't really know the details. I am just wondering if someone that wasn't quite as successful as Steve was doing the coaching, depending on the dynamic of the class, could benefit from feeling they are being "coached." Would this not inherently make people focus more, and therefore, become more successful players? Again, I am sure the class runs deeper than this and teaches new games, etc. Perhaps I am way off base on this, I would be happy for someone to quickly put me in my place and shut me up. I would hope it goes without saying that I mean no disrespect by this post. I think they are valid questions, though. And sorry...it did come out pretty jumbled, as expected.
I think the idea here, is that yes people who can afford his program are already competent players, however that does not mean they are great poker players. Just cause I can beat 5/10nl hold'em (I do not play that high) does not mean I can beat .25/.50 PL08. Basically what Steve or any mentor is doing, is speeding up the growth proccess by a very large margin. Not saying that anyone couldn't get there on their own, and at his level that might not be an easy feat in of its self. So if your a good hold'em player, and want to move up a level or two, he might be able to help you a bit, but I'm not sure that is as valuble as what he can do for your learning curve at the game of poker in whole.
Steve strikes me as a forthright guy with fine credentials, but this whole thing still smells like a right to spam purchased with reputational capital.
Dunkin I think u are missing the boat here.I think if u know how this all came about, you would see that Steve isn't trying to "spam" the site to make money for himself. Honestly....I think if u were to ask Steve, the $$$ he gets from his students is the last reason he does this.It all started w/ JC as they say. JC approached Steve a while back and asked for mentoring. Bada bing bada boom...JC goes crazy in mtts (even though he was already crushing cash games) and becomes an instant FCP rock star. Then it's revealed from JC that he had been mentored by Steve. Steve, in giving out mentoring, suddenly realizes he is not only very good at this, but other FCP members are very interested in him mentoring them. So he decides to take on 3 students. So Checky, Jay, and myself were his 1st "official" students. It was the 3 of us who told him it was a good idea to take on a few more students and we would help out in mentoring the next group. That's what led us today and how we got here.I could understand if Steve has set up a company or something and was advertising his service....that would be spam. That isn't the case here. Steve does NOT do this for the money. I also know that if any member of the group were to get in financial trouble, Steve would do anything he could to help you out. Basically, once Steve accepts you as one of his students...you become his friend and he treats u as such. I am a 33 year old man w/ a kid and a good job. I have been around the block more than once and at NO POINT in time did I EVER feel like I was paying for a service. All I can say is...if you know Steve like we do, you know for a fact he is doing this because he loves teaching poker life skills and the fact he charges us money is basically trivial in the grand scheme of things.You couldn't pay enough for the experince this ended up being for me and the others. I know some have had some fun at the expense of the group...calling us cultlike etc. As an outsider I can totally see that. It does seem a little bit like we all drank the kool aid!!!! However, as one of the 3 original members, I know the group thing just kinda evolved. It was like every time we added somebody...he fit in like a long lost friend. I have made some lifetime friends I am pretty sure out of this experience.I hope w/ a little more background and feedback, you can see Steve is not doing this as a spammer. To be honest...even if this WAS spam, I think Steve's contributions to this community have granted him a little bit of privledge over other members. Besides...if DN himself not only knows about Steve's actions, but has talked to the group himself as has no problems w/ it...why should anyone else?
Dunkin I think u are missing the boat here.I think if u know how this all came about, you would see that Steve isn't trying to "spam" the site to make money for himself. Honestly....I think if u were to ask Steve, the $$$ he gets from his students is the last reason he does this.It all started w/ JC as they say. JC approached Steve a while back and asked for mentoring. Bada bing bada boom...JC goes crazy in mtts (even though he was already crushing cash games) and becomes an instant FCP rock star. Then it's revealed from JC that he had been mentored by Steve. Steve, in giving out mentoring, suddenly realizes he is not only very good at this, but other FCP members are very interested in him mentoring them. So he decides to take on 3 students. So Checky, Jay, and myself were his 1st "official" students. It was the 3 of us who told him it was a good idea to take on a few more students and we would help out in mentoring the next group. That's what led us today and how we got here.I could understand if Steve has set up a company or something and was advertising his service....that would be spam. That isn't the case here. Steve does NOT do this for the money. I also know that if any member of the group were to get in financial trouble, Steve would do anything he could to help you out. Basically, once Steve accepts you as one of his students...you become his friend and he treats u as such. I am a 33 year old man w/ a kid and a good job. I have been around the block more than once and at NO POINT in time did I EVER feel like I was paying for a service. All I can say is...if you know Steve like we do, you know for a fact he is doing this because he loves teaching poker life skills and the fact he charges us money is basically trivial in the grand scheme of things.You couldn't pay enough for the experince this ended up being for me and the others. I know some have had some fun at the expense of the group...calling us cultlike etc. As an outsider I can totally see that. It does seem a little bit like we all drank the kool aid!!!! However, as one of the 3 original members, I know the group thing just kinda evolved. It was like every time we added somebody...he fit in like a long lost friend. I have made some lifetime friends I am pretty sure out of this experience.I hope w/ a little more background and feedback, you can see Steve is not doing this as a spammer. To be honest...even if this WAS spam, I think Steve's contributions to this community have granted him a little bit of privledge over other members. Besides...if DN himself not only knows about Steve's actions, but has talked to the group himself as has no problems w/ it...why should anyone else?
What he said. ^^^^^^^
Dunkin I think u are missing the boat here.
I don't think so... I didn't state that he shouldn't be offering his services here, only that he should post upfront that there is a fee associated.
To be honest...even if this WAS spam, I think Steve's contributions to this community have granted him a little bit of privledge over other members. Besides...if DN himself not only knows about Steve's actions, but has talked to the group himself as has no problems w/ it...why should anyone else?
The privilege over other members is the "right to spam purchased with reputational capital" I referred to in my post. So I get it. The only reason I posted at all is that I noticed several members posted inquiring about fees (which means it's clearly a sticking point for some), and requests for a dollar amount were met with an oblique answer.I'd simply be interested to know what the pricetag is up front in a post soliciting applications for admission. Harvard is highly selective, too, but the cost of attendance is posted in advance.
requests for a dollar amount were met with an oblique answer.I'd simply be interested to know what the pricetag is up front in a post soliciting applications for admission. Harvard is highly selective, too, but the cost of attendance is posted in advance.
In your own post though, you brought up a good reason why cost might not be posted. Another might just be that its probably not something best discussed in a forum?Mark

Asking that the price be disclosed is a fair question. I didn't PM Steve when he posted last time asking for applications because it didn't seem like I fit the critera for what he was looking for in students. I haven't PM'd Steve this time because I probably still don't fit into his student mold.I would like to move to Vegas and take a shot but my BR isn't close to being large enough where I'd feel comfortable doing this. I see value in having a mentor and group of players that will support each other and be available to discuss games/hands/limits. Especially in games other than holdem given Steve's experience. I'm really just nosey wanting to know how much Steve's asking. It seems the lessons could be invaluable.

In your own post though, you brought up a good reason why cost might not be posted. Another might just be that its probably not something best discussed in a forum?Mark
Again, I don't bring this up just to rabble rouse... I bring it up because there was no mention of payment whatsoever in the initial post. I think the reason I'm so adamant it should be there is because I was actually operating under the assumption initially that this was one of those very rare instances where someone was simply offering to help others with no strings attached. I thought this was simply a charitable guy who loved poker and people, had made enough money in the game, and was willing to devote time to help others learn the craft that had treated him so well. Though I have neither the time nor the resources to take advantage of such an opportunity, I actually called my fiancee over and said, "Look, see what this guy is doing for nothing... there are cool people left in the world." I was practically crapping sunshine and rainbows because I couldn't believe there were people in the world who would give their time for gratification and not financial compensation. I thought to myself that I'm not a big enough person to do such a thing, but that one day I hoped I could be, because here was such a shining example. So when I read a couple more pages and reached the "Oh yeah, there's a nominal cost associated" moment, my bubble of naivete burst. So, not to put too fine a point on it, I was disappointed to find out later, rather than sooner, that there's still no such thing as a free lunch. All was right with the world, after all.If he called it paid lessons from the start, that's cool, because Steve's obviously earned the right to peddle his wares. But I felt a little cheated reading the posts about the release of the first batch of ducklings into the wild, and then reading their glowing accounts of the experience, and then reading about the adoption of a second batch... without ever once hearing that this was not simply an act of kindness until a few posts ago.I'm sensitive, what can I say?
Asking that the price be disclosed is a fair question.
I wasn't saying it wasn't a fair question, sorry. But in the post I was refering to, it kind of followed the following flow: Why isn't the cost disclosed in the original post? Maybe a good reason why it isn't is because the cost is variable? Oh well, I'll post some negative sounding things about Steve even though I just posted a good reason why the cost might not be posted.Mark
I wasn't saying it wasn't a fair question, sorry. But in the post I was refering to, it kind of followed the following flow: Why isn't the cost disclosed in the original post? Maybe a good reason why it isn't is because the cost is variable? Oh well, I'll post some negative sounding things about Steve even though I just posted a good reason why the cost might not be posted.Mark
You obviously read the post from a defensive standpoint, or else ignored it altogether. I suggested that variable terms would be one reason for not disclosing exact figures; it does not explain why there is no mention whatsoever of payment.I did not say anything negative about Steve, or in any way imply that he was not justified in charging for lessons. I did state unequivocally that I think the fact that there are fees associated with the lessons should have been revealed in the original post.