Count Me As One Of The Neteller Hacks

I kept telling everybody that everything was safe if you kept protected with AV, Spyware sweepers, didn't accept strange transfers on AIM, and held down a good firewall, and had said constantly that I had no problems.I was wrong.I have been doing all of these things since day one of this problem. I had even called in and disabled InstaCASH. I had a long and very unusual password that no one, even someone who knew me, would be able to guess.I was logging in Thursday night to check on something, and it wouldn't accept my password, even though I had verified several times that it was correct. I call Neteller that night, and was told my account was closed, and that I would have to talk to investigations, and that they would give me a call next day.Friday, nothing.I wait the weekend for their business hours. Monday, nothing. I call in, pitch a fit, and finally get transferred to Investigations. It is here that I learned that my account had been compromised, my password, address, and phone # had been changed, and a $5,000 peer-to-peer transfer had been received by my account from an account that had also been compromised. Even if my account info had not been changed, she said it would have sent a flag up as I have never done a peer-to-peer transfer with them.However, none of my poker accounts have been compromised to my knowledge. I know my usual sites I do business with have not been compromised at least.The lady I spoke to is still looking into the investigation, trying to figure out where it was accessed, so she can give me a better story. In the meantime, she gave me her extension #, and asked me to do a scan of my laptop in order to find possible keyloggers on my system. She asked me to call back when that was done, and she would give me a new Secure ID, and a new password, so that I can return normal use to my account.However, I have ran both AVG and Windows Defender this week, neither has turned up any keyloggers. I'm starting to suspect that it might have been done on my desktop, which is a shared computer. Even still, is there any better (free) programs that would help me find keyloggers?The program might have self-destructed regardless, but I still need to do this scan to regain control of my Neteller.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry bud, happened to me awhile ago. At least you get to experence the great customer service Neteller has. No sw.Also if your reading this and have not disabled instacash. DO IT NOW!!! No sw.

sorry bud, happened to me awhile ago. At least you get to experence the great customer service Neteller has. No sw.Also if your reading this and have not disabled instacash. DO IT NOW!!! No sw.
agreed on both points.even though it does not guarantee you won't get hacked (as proven now), DISABLE INSTACASH. I'm honestly happier that it was a peer-to-peer transfer that happened to me, and not anyone trying to InstaCASH me into Chapter 11. If I hadn't disabled InstaCASH, that probably would've happened.

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. Seems like sh*t like this is happening all too often. Don't really know what to say but scan for spyware every day, clean out cookies and other usless files using CCleaner (google it if you dont have it, wonderful program) and keep the virus' up to date. All stuff you know obv, but man I just hate seeing stuff like this happen.

Alright, you scared me into it. Do I have to call to disable instacash or can i do it on the site?
You have to call. It's a pain-free call, and one of the most important customer service calls you'll ever make.

i said it AT LEAST a few times that these neteller hacks have nothing to do with the security or lack there of of the customers computer...NETELLER'S SECURITY IS BEING COMPRIMISED...same thing happened to me, they told me it was on my end but they would "take care of it for me for good customer service" and i laughed in the guy's face..."so the hackers hack into my comp and my neteller acct, but they dont touch my paypal, bank account and poker accts?" ...he didnt have a response.sorry ray, you were/are wrong.

i said it AT LEAST a few times that these neteller hacks have nothing to do with the security or lack there of of the customers computer...NETELLER'S SECURITY IS BEING COMPRIMISED...same thing happened to me, they told me it was on my end but they would "tale care of it for me for good customer service" and i laughed in the guy's face..."so the hackers hack into my comp and my neteller acct, but they dont touch my paypal, bank account and poker accts?" ...he didnt have a response.sorry ray, you were/are wrong.
yeah, paying back 5 gs for a bank is nothing.. and if their security has been compromised, thats brutal.. they should know better and be able to do stuff about this. come on, it sthe 21st century! get with the program!
i said it AT LEAST a few times that these neteller hacks have nothing to do with the security or lack there of of the customers computer...NETELLER'S SECURITY IS BEING COMPRIMISED...same thing happened to me, they told me it was on my end but they would "tale care of it for me for good customer service" and i laughed in the guy's face..."so the hackers hack into my comp and my neteller acct, but they dont touch my paypal, bank account and poker accts?" ...he didnt have a response.sorry ray, you were/are wrong.
This is a good point. I know the date they said all this took place, December 5th. if a keylogger was to enter my system, it would've been a while before that. During that time frame, I had used my paypal, online banking, my PokerStars, Full Tilt, UB, and Absolute accounts. all 6 of those accounts are still in working order.Either way, I am running adaware with several other plug-ins set up on there to detect other keylogger variants. I will also do a scan of my desktop (which I hadn't used for the last couple weeks), and hadn't logged into Neteller on my desktop since August/September.What makes it sound like BS to me, and I didn't think about it when I was on the line with Investigations, is that she says that the hack came from an IP and location I had logged into legitimately before. :club:

we think of all the places you could have possibly logged into to play poker away from your shared(first issue) computer..anyone have access to the shared computer also have a computer u have logged in to neteller from ?...being on a shared computer, thre are plenty of ways someon could have gotten ur info...im hoping they are all people u trust and wouldnt have to worry about...the IP address is key for u as if they are correct u can easily track it down....if they are full of ****, wel u have ur hands full....good luck, please keep us posted and ask any questions here as most are very tech savvy and can help u .get that damn ip adress from them as they have to prove when it was used for the crim and when it was used previously..as their will be no doubt if money was moved on that day also whether it was u..

You have to call. It's a pain-free call, and one of the most important customer service calls you'll ever make.
it was almost a pain-free call. I had to explain to the lady with a heavy Indian accent what i meant when i said "i want to disable my instacash option." Me: do i have instacash on my account?Support lady: yesMe: I don't want to have that option anymoreSupport lady: Oh okay, you want to inactivate it?Me: Yes, i want to inactivate itSupport lady: Okay hold please... okay we have inactivated your instacash option.
However, I have ran both AVG and Windows Defender this week, neither has turned up any keyloggers. I'm starting to suspect that it might have been done on my desktop, which is a shared computer. Even still, is there any better (free) programs that would help me find keyloggers?The program might have self-destructed regardless, but I still need to do this scan to regain control of my Neteller.
Key loggers typically run as a stealth program. As with virus scanners, adware scanners, etc. there are no perfect dectectors. One of the most popular is RootKit Revealer now owned by Microsoft. It detects most of these types of programs.Rootkit revealer at MicrosoftScroll to the bottom of the page for the free download.

ok, to update this, I finally got a new secure ID yesterday. everything's looking better, plus i'm now using a random password generator. that way, if i get hit again, we'll know where the leak is.

the hack came from an IP and location I had logged into legitimately before.
Didnt you say that it was a shared computer? Not sure who you share with, but they could have done it easily and been able to remove most evidence.
ok, to update this, I finally got a new secure ID yesterday. everything's looking better, plus i'm now using a random password generator. that way, if i get hit again, we'll know where the leak is.
How do I get a random password generator?Edit: Also, this sucks sorry to hear it. But why did you have 5k sitting around in your Neteller acct?
How do I get a random password generator?Edit: Also, this sucks sorry to hear it. But why did you have 5k sitting around in your Neteller acct?
You don't have thousands sitting in neteller?
i didn't. all my money either stays in my poker accounts or my bank account.the 5k got transferred to "me" (as in, my compromised account) from another compromised account. as in, my compromised account was being used as a middle man for something.as for random generator, this is the one i'm using, and it works fine.http://www.download.com/Infinite-Password-...tml?tag=lst-0-3
i didn't. all my money either stays in my poker accounts or my bank account.the 5k got transferred to "me" (as in, my compromised account) from another compromised account. as in, my compromised account was being used as a middle man for something.as for random generator, this is the one i'm using, and it works fine.http://www.download.com/Infinite-Password-...tml?tag=lst-0-3
ahh ic. That is sick, first Ive heard of a hack in this fashion.Ty for the link to the generator.
You don't have thousands sitting in neteller?
Not that its anyones business, but I never keep 1 dime in there for longer than a few minutes. I just use it to transfer from site to site or to withdraw $ into my bank account, check, or Neteller card. With all the hacking stories I just don't trust that site. Unfortunately it is the most convienent so online pros really have no choice but to use it.

But then just when you think it's safer to put it into poker sites, you get an account freezed and they jack all your funds! What's a poker player to do? Such a Catch 22.

what does the generator exactly do hang?
you type in a master password, a keyword (such as neteller, FCP, etc.) and it generates a random password.my original password was very very secure, and my master password is just as secure, if anyone ever cracks Neteller after this, we KNOW there's a leak in neteller.

Seriously, this **** is scary. Check out the article on P5's started by #1Pen where he was scammed by someone who hacked all of LilHoldEm's accounts. Honestly, what the hell do you need to do to keep all of your accounts safe? I'm sure Gov is exhausted from the upgrade but if when he gets back on or someone else that is "in the know" could post as many things as possible that we could be doing, I would appreciate it.