Ok so I just got told that I get to pick a new set of clubs courtesy of my father in law. Now for all you golfers on here what clubs do you think are the best? I am a bogey golfer and play 3-4 times a month. My current clubs are 20 years old and Hand me downs from my dad.I have looked at the Ping G-5 and also the callaway X-18 but I am leaning towards the X-Tour model or also maybe something from taylor made.Thanks for any input.

Callaway will come out with there new iron the X-20 early next year, I have hit the prototype and it looks and feels good. Callaways new X-Tour will be available early next year also. Taylormades new R7 irons are very nice also, they are geared more towards the mid range handicapped player but they offer the R7 TP for the advanced player. You cant go wrong with either Callaway, Taylormade or PING but the PING irons you might take awhile getting used to there look and feel. The new PING Rapture irons are flying off my shelves here but everything PING flys off the shelves. Here are some links to the products, my suggestion is to demo a 6-iron from each company and hit them before you buy them.http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=142http://www.pinggolf.com/irons_g5.html

Callaway will come out with there new iron the X-20 early next year, I have hit the prototype and it looks and feels good. Callaways new X-Tour will be available early next year also. Taylormades new R7 irons are very nice also, they are geared more towards the mid range handicapped player but they offer the R7 TP for the advanced player. You cant go wrong with either Callaway, Taylormade or PING but the PING irons you might take awhile getting used to there look and feel. The new PING Rapture irons are flying off my shelves here but everything PING flys off the shelves. Here are some links to the products, my suggestion is to demo a 6-iron from each company and hit them before you buy them.http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=142http://www.pinggolf.com/irons_g5.html
Thank you for the input. Good idea on the demo clubs. Maybe I will check that out. What irons do you use?
Thank you for the input. Good idea on the demo clubs. Maybe I will check that out. What irons do you use?
Ben Hogan Apex Forged Blades 3-PWGlad I was able to help. If you have any other questions, PM me.

I've always had good luck with my Titleist DCI irons and I love the Cleveland Burner Woods.I spoke with a guy who works at Callaway and he said they have some new stuff coming out that blows away everything on the market currently. Of course that might be a biased opinion. :club:

Ben Hogan Apex Forged Blades 3-PWGlad I was able to help. If you have any other questions, PM me.
Don't get blades, they are designed for lower handicapers as have a smaller sweet spot, are less forgiving, and are often not slightly closed like most cavity backs.The Titlest cavity back irons, not sure what model is out at the present time are always good. But defently get cavity backs.
Don't get blades, they are designed for lower handicapers as have a smaller sweet spot, are less forgiving, and are often not slightly closed like most cavity backs.The Titlest cavity back irons, not sure what model is out at the present time are always good. But defently get cavity backs.
I didnt tell him to get blades. He was just asking me what I use. Most Mid to High handicappers know that blades will not improve there game.
I didnt tell him to get blades. He was just asking me what I use. Most Mid to High handicappers know that blades will not improve there game.
But blades are soo sexy lookingman i need to get a set of 695's but first i need to get staffed so i don't have to pay :club:

Well I decided to go with the Callaway X-Tours. I bought a demo set and the guy said i could try them for 90 days and if i like them then i can just pay the difference for a new set or if i don't like them i can try a different set. Went and played this weekend and they are really good. They go about 10 yards longer per club than my previous irons so that was interesting. I am adjusting to that. The weight and feel of the club is incredible though. I will let you know more in the next months...if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the input.

Well I decided to go with the Callaway X-Tours. I bought a demo set and the guy said i could try them for 90 days and if i like them then i can just pay the difference for a new set or if i don't like them i can try a different set. Went and played this weekend and they are really good. They go about 10 yards longer per club than my previous irons so that was interesting. I am adjusting to that. The weight and feel of the club is incredible though. I will let you know more in the next months...if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the input.
Nice stuff, look forward to hearing it.

for a bogey golfer = 18 handicapit's not the arrow,it's the indianspending money on lessons will bring more evthan nice shiney new sticksif you must have new sticks like G5consider buying used pings, eye2, i3, i3+, isi, zing, zing2and spend the balance on lessonsmost pings play/feel the sameit's good to be dormie

for a bogey golfer = 18 handicapit's not the arrow,it's the indianspending money on lessons will bring more evthan nice shiney new sticksif you must have new sticks like G5consider buying used pings, eye2, i3, i3+, isi, zing, zing2and spend the balance on lessonsmost pings play/feel the sameit's good to be dormie
Socrates? Is that you?

upon further inspection you will find the new clubs u just bought to be stronger than your older set...especially when your talking about callaway...they are the worst at bending lofts to make the ball go farther..i bet u the 6 iron from your last set is about 1 degree less than ur new 7 iron...all the way down the line 3-pw

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I have played with the X-Tours from Callaway a total of 5 times and wow they are awesome. They feel great when you hit the ball and you know when you have dialed in a good shot. I also just invested in a used Taylor Made R7 quad driver. That club is amazing as well. I have averaged a 89 the last five times with a 86 being the low score. I tell you I have never felt so confident with my irons and driver before. Now if I could just get my putter to be my friend and dial in my short game then I would be able to knock on Tigers door :club: Well probably not but once again I wanted to thank you guys for some good advice about the clubs.See you on the links or at the poker table.

Yeah, definitely stay away from the blades. They look great, and it's a good bragging tool - but you'll be throwing them around by hole 2.As a mid-to-high handicapper, I've had reasonable consistency with most of the Mizuno clubs, particularly the muscle-backed cavity irons. You get a pretty good sweet spot and price-wise, they're competitive.Echo the earlier post about wedges, Cleveland are as good as they come really. As for a driver, I've given up with them - cannot hit it at all, whichever one I try. Tee off with the stinger 3-iron, Tiger-style!

• 1 month later...

Update:So since I got the clubs and could try them risk free for 90 days I decided to also try the TaylorMadre R7's. So I just turned in the X-Tours, which were playing pretty good for me and I am trying the R7's. If they don't perfom as well then I am going to trade back in for the X-Tours. I took the R7's out on saturday and they feel great as well. I also just got the 60degree wedge from Taylormade. So my bag is all updated and I am feeling better about my game. All i need to do know is be able to play more and I think I could step up to the next level. The next level being a mid 80's consistent shooter. Also a question to any of the posters here who work in the Golf Industry:A) What do you do? B) How much do you get to golf? and C) How well are you paid and/or compensated?The reason being is I would love to work in the Golf Industry but I am unsure of the benefits and compensation relative to my current job. Currently I make 65K/year and get to golf about once a week.

Golf, here's a subject that can result in less confrontations. I hope.Do you notice that right after you get the new clubs, you seem to play well for a while, but then your game goes back to how it was before?I guess the ' phrase; golf is 90% mental' is accurate.What are some methods, though processes, etc. that you guys employ to help the mental side of the game.

Golf, here's a subject that can result in less confrontations. I hope.Do you notice that right after you get the new clubs, you seem to play well for a while, but then your game goes back to how it was before?I guess the ' phrase; golf is 90% mental' is accurate.What are some methods, though processes, etc. that you guys employ to help the mental side of the game.
It was reverse for me. I bought my new clubs, sucked with them, and now I can strike them very well.
I think the idea is not to think about much during the swing. Maybe one or two thoughts but if you are thinking about too many things during the swing I feel it is almost impossible to execute correctly. A baseball player doesn't think about the pitch coming at him he just reacts to it. You will notice that when a player starts to slump and starts thinking about it too much it just makes things worse ( a-rod, chuck knoblock(sp?) ) Golf is the same. You MUST put in the time and hit lots of balls and build confidence so that you don't have to think about it when you step on the tee. You want to work on fundamentals at the range and NEVER during the round. Get lessons and practice alot. Build confidence and you will get to the point where you just hit the ball and its goes where you want it to (most of the time at least). Most of your thoughts should be before the swing anyway ( like setup and grip).Hope this helps!Bizkitz