My Trip Report From The Protege 2

So I got on my flight from San Francisco at 10: 45 pm on Thursday and my trip had begun. I was hoping to catch a few hours of sleep on the red-eye but the guy behind me got up around ten times during the trip and had to kick/bump my seat every time so no sleep.Landed in Charlotte, connected to Nassau and I arrived around 11:30 a.m. on Friday. As I exited the customs area, I saw a guy in a FCP shirt and hat looking around. It was Matt (FCP_Info2) and he introduced me to the two production guys (Andy and Mike). I hadn’t checked anything as I always prefer to carry on my luggage if I can – sounded like the right move as Matt told me that the airlines had lost both Aki and Robin’s luggage (Robin was coming from Barcelona). However, Robin got $400 from the airline and then got his luggage the next day so it turned out pretty good for him.Taxi ride was about 45 minutes to the Atlantis – checked in around 1:30 and then wandered around until 2:30 since my room wasn’t ready yet. I had read some negative reviews on Atlantis on some travel sites but the place was awesome and I found nothing to complain about while I was there.At 3:00, I met another Mike who I think handles many of the video blogs for Daniel. He wanted to follow me around and shoot some film. So I’m walking around being a tourist pretending not to notice Mike while he’s running ahead of me shooting some video. I then did my first interview with Mike and Andy around 5:30.At 7:30, I went down to the conference room where all the protégé candidates would gather together for the first time. I met Jason (Governator) and Bob (FCP_Info) and there was a nice spread as well as an open bar for everyone. Daniel and Fidler showed up soon afterwards to start the festivities. Some of the other guys mentioned to me that Sol had been drinking quite heavily during the whole day – he disappeared around 9 and later on, it was mentioned to me that a wheelchair was required to bring him up to his hotel roomDaniel then put out a bet that he would give $500 to anyone who could eat a huge plate of meatballs in the smallest amount of time. Mike H. (Naked Cowboy) took on the challenge with a bet of 90 seconds but unfortunately came up short. Daniel still gave him $100 as a consolation prize (probably for not puking everything back up).So after much eating and drinking, we of course headed out to another bar that was nearby within walking distance. More drinking took place and at around 1:00 a.m., I headed back to the resort for some much needed sleep. Found out later, that I missed Daniel and the group bumping into Antonio Esferandi inside the Atlantis at which point they all went to another bar around 3:30 a.m. From what I was told, Robin was the only protégé candidate to continue on at that point so obviously the Bergren brothers can party!Woke up the next day and went to the Waters Edge restaurant to have breakfast with the other players before the tourney started. Mike G was at the table and told me that he had only entered the drawing for the seat he won because Croc (FCP poster) had run out of money while they were in Vegas so they went to the expo since it was free! Tourney was supposed to start around 11:00 but it started a little late as Daniel showed up and mentioned that his room key didn’t work when he had gotten back from the all night partying. It wasn’t a simple fix and he ended up sleeping for a couple of hours in the hallway outside his suite before they could open his door! Wish that I could have gotten that picture!The structure in place for the tourney allowed for a lot of play in the early going and I won’t recap the hands that have already been mentioned in the stickied thread. It was a fun table and there were no Phil Hellmuth type demonstrations when a river suckout occurred. There was one hand three handed that I asked Anthony about afterwards – it was three handed between Anthony, Robin and Hadi. Anthony and Robin were in the hand preflop and there was a bet/raise/call on a flop of 346 (can’t remember the suits). The turn brought an ace and Robin bet out 60K; Anthony raised to 160K which basically pot committed him as most of his stack was in the pot after that bet. Robin after much deliberation folded – I asked Anthony afterwards what he had and he said that it was a bluff with bottom pair. Going in based on the profiles that I read, I wouldn’t have expected the ending result of Anthony winning the whole thing but I have a feeling that he will surprise a lot of the pro’s with his play. He certainly impressed me!After the tourney ended, we had a last late dinner at the Atlas Bar and Grill – not sure if the group went out after that but I was done. The taxi ride to the airport the next day brought more excitement than it should have – “Aadddiiimii” or something must mean “I’m going to cut you off” in the local dialect. Somehow, we didn’t crash and I stumbled out of the taxi.As I was sitting in the departure lounge waiting for my plane, who should sit down next to me but Fidler. He told me that he had won 9k playing blackjack (200 a hand) the night before so it looks like Poker isn’t the only card game that he’s good at.Overall, FCP put on a great event and I had an excellent time! It was great to finally meet Daniel, Fidler, Governator and of course Matt/Bob (FCP Info’s). It was a very classy bunch of players at the final table and I enjoyed my time at the tables and away from the tables while I was there.In the meantime, I’ll be preparing for Protégé 3!

Andre, was great meeting you this weekend, glad you had a fun experience.Everyone seemed to be leaving at the same time...saw Hadi, Richard and Anthony all waiting in line to check out. (i tipped a guy $10 from guest services to do it for me, since i had to rush to my plane). Also, Aki was on my plane to NY, right across the aisle...and Jim Courier (tennis player) was right behind me on the security check line.Had a great time down there, but it was way too short. I actually only won $6k at blackjack...but still a good profit for the weekend. The hotel actually comped BOTH nights stay for me, which i think is like $300 a night or so? (guessing). No complaints about the Atlantis at all....great place.Good luck qualifying for Protege 3

oh, and..."only 6k" @ black jack huh? youre my hero Fid. :club:
ok ok dont' get me wrong...$6k is a good chunk of cash...but i'm an accountant...i'm always thinking someone from the IRS is reading...and if they are, i'm just kidding...i didn't win a DIME :D
nice read, thx for the report... sounds like you had a great time.oh, and..."only 6k" @ black jack huh? youre my hero Fid. :club:
ok ok dont' get me wrong...$6k is a good chunk of cash...but i'm an accountant...i'm always thinking someone from the IRS is reading...and if they are, i'm just kidding...i didn't win a DIME :D
Yup, way to keep it under $10K for claiming purposes.

Nice read you liberal :club: Wish you would have gotten the picture of DN sleeping naked in the hallway. You could have 'arranged' a little private protege thing on the side :D

So I got on my flight from San Francisco at 10: 45 pm on Thursday and my trip had begun. ...In the meantime, I’ll be preparing for Protégé 3!
VN. From someone who actually had a chip lead and then bubbled off one of the protege qualifiers. !!!!!!!!!!!DN, keep giving me shots at it, and I'll get there.