Step Tournament Strategy

HiA poker room running sngs has just recently opened up, and they are about to start running a step tournament. four steps, each round., winner moves up a step, next three get another buy in for the current level.So my question is, what is the strategy?In a normal sng its cash, then win.In one winner sattelites, its play to win.I'm thinking, try to get in the top 4 everytime and hope to luck a first every so often to move up, is this ok?thanks

HiA poker room running sngs has just recently opened up, and they are about to start running a step tournament. four steps, each round., winner moves up a step, next three get another buy in for the current level.So my question is, what is the strategy?In a normal sng its cash, then win.In one winner sattelites, its play to win.I'm thinking, try to get in the top 4 everytime and hope to luck a first every so often to move up, is this ok?thanks
Thats pretty close I think. What I would add is that you can enhance your chances of first by observant bubble play. There are going to be some players who simply wont play a contested hand on the bubble. Figure out who they are and you can steal them blind (pun intended) without risking a lot of chips. One way to spot a lot of them is to watch when during the deal they look at their cards. Throughout the tourney they may properly wait until its their turn to look at their cards to avoid any tells about their future action. When it gets to the bubble, all of a sudden they are looking at one or both cards as soon as theyre dealt and obviously losing interest either as soon as they see them, or as soon as there is someone in the pot before them.Watch whether they keep their hands on the cards, a good indicator that they are going to muck them, place them on the table uncovered, or place them on the table protected, an indication they are probably going to play. (This is probably the least reliable, many people will automatically protect the cards whether or not they are going to play, to not give away anything. Cards on the table unprotected is probably the strongest, unless the player is new to live play. An experienced player who has any interest in his hand will never leave his cards on the table unprotected....except as a reverse tell of course)