Tournament Question

I'm going to play a live tournament tonight. It is a rebuy and I am tight for cash. I have enough for the initial buy in and the add on. Is there a strategy to play this or should my strategy be to stay at home and wait for payday?

I'd recommend skipping this one and either wait for a freezeout or until you have enough $ to have at least 2 re-buys and the add-on. Scared money doesn't do well in re-buys.If you MUST go, be aware that you'll have to get more than your average share of luck.GL!

I, too, would recommend skipping this one and waiting for a freezout. Rebuy maniacs cause a lot of bad beats early, and if you're on a very limited budget such as you are, you won't do well. Skip it.

I, too, would recommend skipping this one and waiting for a freezout. Rebuy maniacs cause a lot of bad beats early, and if you're on a very limited budget such as you are, you won't do well. Skip it.
And yet another QFT actually QFMFT just cuz!

I played in a home tourney that added a rebuy. Except it was just one rebuy and you could only rebuy if you busted. Didn't affect the play at all. Just because the event is a rebuy doesn't mean everyone will be maniacally all-in every other hand.Also is this a $20 buyin don't have the spare cash to rebuy until I get payed or a $200 buyin can't afford to do lots of rebuys or a $1000 buyin playing over my head.

I say play. I also play in a tourney every Tuesday night and it is no-limit rebuy for the first 3 rounds. I use this to tighten my game because I can play differently every week. Yesterday I treated it like I was loose and having fun for the rebuy period then played real tourney poker after that. It was fun and I got some good reads on the players while I was messing around then I used that in the later rounds. But I had the cash to be able to do that. A month ago, I too had only the buyin, but I didn't even have enough for the addon, and I played solid poker from the start. I did as a previous poster here said, I looked for a good pot to get involved with and made sure I had the best of it, no bluffing. I managed to slowly accumulate chips and by the addon period I had the chip lead even after they bought the addon. Use this and every situation to find something out about your game. I mean, the best "play" at the table is being able to mix up how you play.Take it down!

I played in a home tourney that added a rebuy. Except it was just one rebuy and you could only rebuy if you busted. Didn't affect the play at all. Just because the event is a rebuy doesn't mean everyone will be maniacally all-in every other hand.Also is this a $20 buyin don't have the spare cash to rebuy until I get payed or a $200 buyin can't afford to do lots of rebuys or a $1000 buyin playing over my head.
One re-buy at a home game is completely different than unlimited first hour re-buys in a tournament.Don't play. Scared money's not going to get you anywhere, and if you're really considering this I think it shows you don't have the experience to succeed in this tourney.Wait for a freeze out.
I'm going to play a live tournament tonight. It is a rebuy and I am tight for cash. I have enough for the initial buy in and the add on. Is there a strategy to play this or should my strategy be to stay at home and wait for payday?
Is it a 1 rebuy only tourney, or unlimited rebuys until X Level? There is a big difference in the donk play depending on that factor. If it's only a 1 rebuy I think you'll be fine, but an unlimited rebuy tourney can be an all-in-nutsfest (i think i just created a new word!) until they cut off the rebuys.
One re-buy at a home game is completely different than unlimited first hour re-buys in a tournament.Don't play. Scared money's not going to get you anywhere, and if you're really considering this I think it shows you don't have the experience to succeed in this tourney.Wait for a freeze out.
DOH! You beat me to it.

Anyone willing to play a tournament in which the initial buy in is half of their current roll should just play. You're going broke sometime soon, why not tonight?Seriously, I'm guessing you play with money you have on hand at the time and don't practice BRM, just go, take a shot, have fun. If its rent money or something, bypass and be responsible. If you're serious about poker you need to learn and understand BRM and utilize it, otherwise if you're just the normal everyday rec player who plays when they have cahs, then just go. You have anopther paycheck coming I would assume.

Easy now. Not everyone is full-fledged stone-serious poker players. The guy was asking a simple question about rebuy tournies. I'm not a total genius, but even I could pick up that he's not a player who keeps a bankroll, manages it, etc. The flaming on this forum is so rediculous at times.

No one even flamed him. The whining about general has detererorated to the point that people assume flaming is occuring when people are simply answering the guys question on what to do.

Easy now. Not everyone is full-fledged stone-serious poker players. The guy was asking a simple question about rebuy tournies.
I concurEven I say "go play"I'm not going to makeover his finances here.Plus for all we know he has a lot saved and just doesn't have the fun money account right now.some of you are such an embarrassment. You all don't need to flame so much
I concurEven I say "go play"I'm not going to makeover his finances here.Plus for all we know he has a lot saved and just doesn't have the fun money account right now.some of you are such an embarrassment. You all don't need to flame so much
Fascinating reply on quite a few levels.

You should skip this one.You want to rebuy right away so if your starting with 1500 chips you rebuy before the tourny so u have 3000 chips. Idealy u want to double this before the end of the rebuy then add on. You can try with the orginal buy in and play tight but a good rebuy player will see what u are doing and take advantage of that. They will pick away at your blinds and preflop raises with all ins or force you to make a play that u really don't want.If your not going to take my advice I would then say use a very selective aggression and play only premium hands until the rebuy period is over.Maxima

Fascinating reply on quite a few levels.
that was my aim!******let's all separate "is playing this +EV, being short rolled" from, "should he spend his fun money on a tourney?"When bowl, i expect no money in return.Should i never bowl?Or go out to eat?
that was my aim!******let's all separate "is playing this +EV, being short rolled" from, "should he spend his fun money on a tourney?"When bowl, i expect no money in return.Should i never bowl?Or go out to eat?
Are you on level 6 of poker thinking or are you on an upper eschelon we couldn't fathom?