I Turned "pro" Today

today was the first day of my pro poker career. yesterday i closed the video store that i owned for 9 years. the lease was up and it was time to get out before i started to go into debt. i was kinda glad to end that chapter of my life. i haven't had a real job in 12 years. before the video store, i bought and sold sportscards. that went well with the video store, which is why i bought it. unfortunately,the sport and nonsport card market sucks as bad as videos.i've been playimg poker for 3 years. i've taken it seriously for the last 2. i'm a cash game player. i mostly play no limit holdem online. live i prefer omaha hi lo. i have semi supported myself for the last year or so by playing online. i used to play at my store during the afternoon when it was dead. after dinner i'd play for a few hours. i have 2 monitors at home and would play up to 13 screens at a time ( rakeback and bonuses are the nuts)!i've been studying quite a bit. the thing i concentrate the most on is the ups and downs of people that play for a living. i've learned a lot from forums and blogs. it really is helpful to learn from others mistakes. i've done quite a bit of planning over the last few months. i know i need to get on a schedule . it's too easy to just not play or play 18 hours a day for that matter. i'm going to split my time between online and atlantic city. ac is a bout 2.5 hours away, which is a problem. i want to playthere 8-10 days a month. the game i have chosen is the 15-30-45 two way at the taj. it's a half hour of o8 and a then a half hour of stud 8. the players are pretty bad. online i will multi table nl. i want to play between 40-50 hours a week. i want to earn 1200 a week. this will pay all my bills and allow me to lead a lifestyle i would enjoy .i made $182 in a few hours tonight. i intended to play longer, but thought that it would be nice to start off with a decent win. i don't know how this will turn out, but i'm quite excited about the challenge. if anyon has any questions or advice for me, i would appreciate anything you have to offer.dave

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the boat today. I played for 9 hours. I am just as tired if not more than after a day of work. Oh yea, and I lost $1200. Those kinds of days are gonna suck if you're counting on the money. Hopefully you're prepared. Make sure you are.

I went to the boat today. I played for 9 hours. I am just as tired if not more than after a day of work. Oh yea, and I lost $1200. Those kinds of days are gonna suck if you're counting on the money. Hopefully you're prepared. Make sure you are.
Ouch, can't you set a stop loss? I'm an idiot, 1200 probably is your stop loss--ouch.
Ouch, can't you set a stop loss? I'm an idiot, 1200 probably is your stop loss--ouch.
I had plenty to buy back in, actually, and I was playing pretty well. I was mentally exhausted though. The point for this thread is that if you're going to "grind" and win $187 and call that a decent win for the day, you probably aren't playhing limits that will support playing for a living. You're going to have a lot of crummy days...just making sure the OP is ready for that.
I had plenty to buy back in, actually, and I was playing pretty well. I was mentally exhausted though. The point for this thread is that if you're going to "grind" and win $187 and call that a decent win for the day, you probably aren't playhing limits that will support playing for a living. You're going to have a lot of crummy days...just making sure the OP is ready for that.
i've played 25k plus hands a month for the better part of a year. one thing i've learned is that it if you don't consider $187 a decent day, than you either play way hi, or aren't a long ternm winning player. i find tha when i take a beat or 2 for my whole stack, my win is around 200 for the session. when the suckouts don't happen, about once or twice a week, i usually take in around $500 for the day. today i lost $400 on the turn and still had an "average day" that's a success in my eyes.
( rakeback and bonuses are the nuts)!
Best of luck i would love to see updates as well But extra stressin on tha BR management. the bonuses do eventually run out right unless you're redepositing all the time which i imagine is not really gonna pay the bills.
$4,800 a month is pretty small goals so you should EASILY attain it. You can really live comfy off of that?
I agree, but this person relies on this money in order to pay his bills. For most of the players this is extra money. That is why the stress form him is greater and the risk not to get the amount is bigger. However, I hope that you will be able to cope with this challenge! Good luck!!!
today was the first day of my pro poker career. yesterday i closed the video store that i owned for 9 years. the lease was up and it was time to get out before i started to go into debt. i was kinda glad to end that chapter of my life. i haven't had a real job in 12 years. before the video store, i bought and sold sportscards. that went well with the video store, which is why i bought it. unfortunately,the sport and nonsport card market sucks as bad as videos.i've been playimg poker for 3 years. i've taken it seriously for the last 2. i'm a cash game player. i mostly play no limit holdem online. live i prefer omaha hi lo. i have semi supported myself for the last year or so by playing online. i used to play at my store during the afternoon when it was dead. after dinner i'd play for a few hours. i have 2 monitors at home and would play up to 13 screens at a time ( rakeback and bonuses are the nuts)!i've been studying quite a bit. the thing i concentrate the most on is the ups and downs of people that play for a living. i've learned a lot from forums and blogs. it really is helpful to learn from others mistakes. i've done quite a bit of planning over the last few months. i know i need to get on a schedule . it's too easy to just not play or play 18 hours a day for that matter. i'm going to split my time between online and atlantic city. ac is a bout 2.5 hours away, which is a problem. i want to playthere 8-10 days a month. the game i have chosen is the 15-30-45 two way at the taj. it's a half hour of o8 and a then a half hour of stud 8. the players are pretty bad. online i will multi table nl. i want to play between 40-50 hours a week. i want to earn 1200 a week. this will pay all my bills and allow me to lead a lifestyle i would enjoy .i made $182 in a few hours tonight. i intended to play longer, but thought that it would be nice to start off with a decent win. i don't know how this will turn out, but i'm quite excited about the challenge. if anyon has any questions or advice for me, i would appreciate anything you have to offer.dave
Read my blog if you want some examples of TP/MM.If your stakes are low enough to where you are hoping to make $1200/week, you are in for some rough times. Even if you accomplish this every week, your bankroll will grow very very very slowly, and there's no guarantee you will do well at the next stake up.
i've played 25k plus hands a month for the better part of a year. one thing i've learned is that it if you don't consider $187 a decent day, than you either play way hi, or aren't a long ternm winning player.
You dont think that people average more than $200 a day?You can do better than that at 1/2 limit after rakeback/bonus benefits if you put in the hands and are decent.
You dont think that people average more than $200 a day?You can do better than that at 1/2 limit after rakeback/bonus benefits if you put in the hands and are decent.
You really think you can avg 200 playing 1/2 limit?thats 100bbassume you beat the game for 2bb/100, and say you 4 table at 100hands/hr, thats 12.5 hours...i guess you chop a few hours off for bonus+rakeback, maybe it is possible...just thinking out loud, im trying to do something similar playing 2/4-3/6 and some 5/10. I play at UB but realise i should broaden my horizons in terms of sites- oh this is 6max lhe by the way. Any recomendations for other sites for what im doing?

hey, GL.a few things\180 is a horrible day for a pro player. 180 for a part timer is good, for someone living off the game, its poop, why? cuz you have down swings, so there are days, or weeks where u wont make much at all, and thats why your bragging days need to be that much higher.if u are bragging about 180, you need to re-exam your choice.also, whoever questioned living comfortably off 4,800 a month, yes thats a good salary.thats above average by a fair bit. Not everyone lives in major cities with high rent.

i've played 25k plus hands a month for the better part of a year
from experience, you will/should double that amount now that you are full time. gl to you
You really think you can avg 200 playing 1/2 limit?thats 100bbassume you beat the game for 2bb/100, and say you 4 table at 100hands/hr, thats 12.5 hours...i guess you chop a few hours off for bonus+rakeback, maybe it is possible...
1 bet / 100 at the tables.2 bets / 100 in bonus and rakeback (which is what you get on AP or WPX at that level).6 tables at 80 hands per table hour = about 500 hands an hour.6 to 7 hours a day.That's about $200 a day.It's a lot of work, but it's not unattainable.If you're a bigger winner, you can knock off an hour or two. If you're a break even, you'll have to put in a lot of hours.And breaking even at the tables is a reality for a lot of players who are used to being small winners on stars for the same level.
180 is a horrible day for a pro player. 180 for a part timer is good, for someone living off the game, its poop, why? cuz you have down swings, so there are days, or weeks where u wont make much at all
You don't need to book huge wins and losses to be a "pro", lots of average days add up :club: If $180 is an average day that still works out to the same wage that someone working 8 hours at $22.50/hr makes.I've been toying with the idea of playing for a living as well. I just finished school, haven't gotten a job yet but play very often and do well. I don't count it as playing for a living since I am at home still, paying next to nothing for rent/food. My biggest issue has been not putting in enough tables hours. Since about May I've averaged about $25/hr playing lower fixed limit holdem and PLO (including rakeback), but I only book about 40-70 hours a month. Liveable if I could play a full 6-8 hours a day on average while still playing my B+/A game and not burning myself out.GL OP, keep us updated.