A Question For The Dealers

Ok, I know a boxed card is a card in the deck the wrong way. What is "boxing the cards" as it relates to shuffling? Is that where you have the deck in your right hand and sort of "throw" the cards into your left hand, kinda changing up where you throw them into? I'm not sure how else to describe it, if that's confusing.

80 views and no answer? C'mon people.
Try sending a PM to 13cards. My guess, and I'm not sure, is holding the deck in one hand, taking a few off the top into your other hand, take a few more, rinse, repeat.Other than that, I've got nothing.

im pretty sure a boxed card is a card that is face upi have also heard 'boxing the cards' as simply cuttingas in having a full deck, removing some and placing to the side, moving a few more and stacking until you have cut a full deck.

i have also heard 'boxing the cards' as simply cuttingas in having a full deck, removing some and placing to the side, moving a few more and stacking until you have cut a full deck.
That is called stripping...
That is called stripping...
So an answer to the original question? Please? I should've thought to PM you, I've seen your posts about dealers and respect your opinions.
I'm 95% sure boxing and stripping are the same thing. At least I've seen them used interchangeably.
thats what i thought too, but i honest have no idea for certain.a quick yahoo search yielded thisBoxing:1. Cut off the top 15 cards or so and place them off to the right as a new stack.2. Cut off another 10-20 cards repeatedly and place atop the new stack until complete.

Boxing the cards is a term used by magicians that do card tricks. Whether they are passing the cards from one hand to the other or doing tricks which seperate the cards they always return the cards to a neat packed form thus they have "boxed the cards" as they present the cards in one neat stack after the action.

Boxing the cards is a term used by magicians that do card tricks. Whether they are passing the cards from one hand to the other or doing tricks which seperate the cards they always return the cards to a neat packed form thus they have "boxed the cards" as they present the cards in one neat stack after the action.
I would think that would be "squaring the cards". And dna, I guess Yahoo pwned Google on that one cause I googled every phrase I could think of to no avail.

I thought that "Boxing the Deck" was the same as "Squaring the Deck"......after a shuffle you place the deck in front of you and square all four sides to straighten the cards into a neat box with flat sides - no cards protruding. You do this prior to a cut to ensure no cards are visible.

Well, I read the proper way to shuffle is riffle, box, riffle, riffle. Now squaring, it would seem to me, would be necessary after each riffle. So what in the world is boxing? Is it the method described in the OP? I wouldn't think so... so I'm asking. The stripping thing mentioned by 13 cards and dna above, dna says that Yahoo says that is boxing. That seems more logical because lifting the cards off the table while shuffling would seem to be a no-no. How about this... someone tell me THE proper way to shuffle a deck prior to dealing. Humorous and sarcastic comments are quite welcome, but someone give me the definitive "Vegas" way.

Dec 26th is Boxing Day in Canada. We should have your answer then!!!!
:club: Ok, there's one. Now a serious answer and we can get back to the hilarity.

Ok, if this guys website is legit here is your answer:I've noticed that in some cardrooms the dealer mixes the cards face down on the table before shuffling every hand, while in other rooms they do that only when the deck is changed and maybe on player request. What is your opinion on this? The action you describe is called scrambling the cards (as in scrambled eggs). On a blackjack table, this same action is called "washing the cards." The deck is spread out face down on the table, and the dealer slides them around using circular motions to thoroughly mix the cards. The old standard shuffle sequence is scramble, riffle shuffle twice, box (strip shuffle), riffle shuffle once again, then cut the cards and deal. In some rooms, they shuffle twice after the strip shuffle instead of before it.As you've noted, some rooms have eliminated the scramble, presumably to speed up the game by shortening the shuffle sequence. Is that a good trade-off? I don't think so! I feel that the scramble is the most important part of the shuffle sequence as it mixes the cards quite randomly. You can prove this for yourself if you like. Take a setup -- that is, two decks of cards that have been sorted by suit and rank. With one deck, do a scramble as described in the book and in the procedures section of this site. Three times around is enough. Square up the deck, and set it aside without any further shuffling. Then take the other deck, do not scramble, and do a shuffle, shuffle, box, shuffle sequence. Now spread out both decks face up, and see which is most randomly mixed. You will probably find that the scramble by itself mixes the cards at least as good as the much longer sequence without the scramble.My recommendation: If a cardroom manager wants to speed up the game by shortening the shuffle sequence then one riffle shuffle should be eliminated. That is, the complete sequence would be scramble, shuffle, box, shuffle. This would take about the same amount of time as shuffle, shuffle, box, shuffle, but would randomize the cards much better.I got it from here: http://www.dicedealer.com/poker_profiles.htmHope that helps.Edit:And strip shuffle gave me this site with pics and everything:http://www.pokerology.com/articles/shuffle/strip.htm

Ok, if this guys website is legit here is your answer:I've noticed that in some cardrooms the dealer mixes the cards face down on the table before shuffling every hand, while in other rooms they do that only when the deck is changed and maybe on player request. What is your opinion on this? The action you describe is called scrambling the cards (as in scrambled eggs). On a blackjack table, this same action is called "washing the cards." The deck is spread out face down on the table, and the dealer slides them around using circular motions to thoroughly mix the cards.The old standard shuffle sequence is scramble, riffle shuffle twice, box (strip shuffle), riffle shuffle once again, then cut the cards and deal. In some rooms, they shuffle twice after the strip shuffle instead of before it.As you've noted, some rooms have eliminated the scramble, presumably to speed up the game by shortening the shuffle sequence. Is that a good trade-off? I don't think so! I feel that the scramble is the most important part of the shuffle sequence as it mixes the cards quite randomly. You can prove this for yourself if you like. Take a setup -- that is, two decks of cards that have been sorted by suit and rank. With one deck, do a scramble as described in the book and in the procedures section of this site. Three times around is enough. Square up the deck, and set it aside without any further shuffling. Then take the other deck, do not scramble, and do a shuffle, shuffle, box, shuffle sequence. Now spread out both decks face up, and see which is most randomly mixed. You will probably find that the scramble by itself mixes the cards at least as good as the much longer sequence without the scramble.My recommendation: If a cardroom manager wants to speed up the game by shortening the shuffle sequence then one riffle shuffle should be eliminated. That is, the complete sequence would be scramble, shuffle, box, shuffle. This would take about the same amount of time as shuffle, shuffle, box, shuffle, but would randomize the cards much better.I got it from here: http://www.dicedealer.com/poker_profiles.htmHope that helps.Edit:And strip shuffle gave me this site with pics and everything:http://www.pokerology.com/articles/shuffle/strip.htm
Excellent. I looked at dicedealer, but never came across that article. I tend to do a wash every three hands or so. And I fan the cards at showdown which usually causes a slight wash when I pick them up. I believe the question of boxing seems to be answered. I would say it is the same as stripping as stated above. Thank you for the response and let the sarcastic answers resume. lol
Well, I read the proper way to shuffle is riffle, box, riffle, riffle.
riffle, box, riffle, riffle = riffle, strip, riffle, riffle = proper shuffle procedure
riffle, box, riffle, riffle = riffle, strip, riffle, riffle = proper shuffle procedure
Excellent. Thank you very much. Side note. I dealt a charity event tonight... major suckage. No turnout, so the prize pool sucked, so no tip or anything for our hero. But it should be good karma, right? I did get a line on a big buy-in tourney for tommorow, hopefully they'll be short and I'll get the call to go deal that. Should be some good money with the side games.