Non Poker Related Help

Hey everybody,This is a question for those of you who may have ever started/owned a business.I am wondering what needs to be done to get a business licensed legally. Including the getting the Federal Tax ID and all the good stuff.Thanks again for your serious answers, with that being said... flame on.

I own a biz but I'm affraid I only know about what is needed here (Toronto). Maybe it's the same there? I just had my lawyer do the incorporation for me. Once he did it and I had my biz number, I called the government agencies to find out about registering for the appropriate federal tax number I needed.

This is the gov't starting site for small business info:http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/index.htmlOn it there is a link to getting your EIN (federal tax ID number). You also will have to apply with your state after you do that. It doesn't take but a few forms to set up an LLC.Mark

Starting your own business is like shoving a bowling pin up your own ***.You're in for what seems like an eternity of extreme pain and agony while trying to achieve success, and most likely you'll give up and pull it out before you get it all the way up in there. But even after you pull it out, your *** still hurts for about a year.I've done it.The business...not the bowling pin.I used the people at this lawfirm - http://www.amerilawyer.com/ - to set up my corporate papers. They're cheap...and not too bad for the price.

Most accountants can get you set up with your FEIN and your appropriate state docs for incorporating. A lawyer certainly doesn't hurt though, as you want to be sure to incorporate appropriately for both tax and liability reasons. All dependent on your particular biz. I had a restaurant and set it up via an S-corp. Biz taxes flow through your personal tax filings, which has very distinct advantage and disadvantages.

The business is a charter company. I have recently aquired a Piper Navajo Chieftain and I just have to get all my **** set up.
ya my guess is you're gonna need to talk with lawyers for sure, especially since there will be insurance issues with peoples LIVES
ya my guess is you're gonna need to talk with lawyers for sure, especially since there will be insurance issues with peoples LIVES
yeah you defintley would need a lawyer for thisand it may take you years to pay for the start up costs, but im sure you know all thatGood luck

Basically what everyone said about talking to a lawyer/accountant is a good idea. How you want to setup a business and what you need to do vary depending on your location and the business. You'll also want to look into your state's "state department". That's the branch of your state government that normally handles things like creating the business entity and licensing.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm going to go talk to an accountant soon.Yes I realize the FAA is going to be the real trouble here, but I've been dealing with them for years now.