Betting Tells

I have often heard from professionals that "flinging" chips in while betting is a sign of weakness (acting strong when weak). . However, I usually notice that there is often people who bet this way very nonchallontly (sp?) or in a fashion that they look somewhat agitated and just flick their chips in anyway. My main question is, do you find when people "fling" chips in the pot that they usually have a hand or are weak?

nah, its not a reliable tell.flinging chips can be a "show-boating" type of way to say, "hey look at me, i've played poker before".On another hand, some people who dont normally fling in chips will start to do so if they are getting frustrated/tilting and can be a sign that they are willing to gamble, as if the chips mean nothing to them.

If a real amateur puts his chips into the pot really emphatically, it almost always means that he's bluffing. With people that have played live more than a few times however, these kind of tells are completely unreliable.

When I first started playing a guy at my house game whenever he had a hand he would stack his chips perfectly. If he was betting 800 he would put two stacks of 4 right next to eachother. If he was on the draw or bluffing he would always "fling" his chips in.Like Royal said it's not a reliable tell unless you've seen this player do it on numerous occasions and he's oblivious to his own tell.A little side note:Everyone has tells whether they know it or not.

When I first started playing a guy at my house game whenever he had a hand he would stack his chips perfectly. If he was betting 800 he would put two stacks of 4 right next to eachother. If he was on the draw or bluffing he would always "fling" his chips in.Like Royal said it's not a reliable tell unless you've seen this player do it on numerous occasions and he's oblivious to his own tell.A little side note:Everyone has tells whether they know it or not.
you have to take a mental picture of how the person is acting when they are strong, some people learn way over the table and are challenging you to call, but some people this is a bluff. people look the same when they have a hand and when they don't for the most part. Find out what each looks like and have at it.
Everyone has tells whether they know it or not.
The only bad problem with tells, is the people who have obvious tells dont last long enouhg to make any profit from them.2 guys i know:player 1picks his cards up off the table, looks at them with such mental force that hes almost planning the entire hand out. sees a flop, and then picks his hand up again, looks at the flop, and at his hand, and gives the worst tells possible, like he tasted something sour if he missed. or he just had a great idea if he hit.and he does all this as soon as the flop hits, I just stop and watch LOL.Player 2is a bit of a calling station, but is hilarious to watch when u know his tells, if he has a strong hand preflop or onthe flop, he will start up conversation. with anyone about anything, he just starts talking. he wants to take attention away from the game.when he has nothing and he bets or tries to bluff, he looks at you with a "go ahead, make my day" sort of look., and its just too funny when u know these tells.
you have to take a mental picture of how the person is acting when they are strong, some people learn way over the table and are challenging you to call, but some people this is a bluff. people look the same when they have a hand and when they don't for the most part. Find out what each looks like and have at it.
Exactly. That's why I watch so intently the player I want a read on. I'm looking at him when he raises, when he calls, checks, when he folds, and then you take all those little pictures and try and make a Picaso-esque read.
The only bad problem with tells, is the people who have obvious tells dont last long enouhg to make any profit from them.2 guys i know:player 1picks his cards up off the table, looks at them with such mental force that hes almost planning the entire hand out. sees a flop, and then picks his hand up again, looks at the flop, and at his hand, and gives the worst tells possible, like he tasted something sour if he missed. or he just had a great idea if he hit.and he does all this as soon as the flop hits, I just stop and watch LOL.Player 2is a bit of a calling station, but is hilarious to watch when u know his tells, if he has a strong hand preflop or onthe flop, he will start up conversation. with anyone about anything, he just starts talking. he wants to take attention away from the game.when he has nothing and he bets or tries to bluff, he looks at you with a "go ahead, make my day" sort of look., and its just too funny when u know these tells.
They start popping up all over the place, you just have to open your eyes and be patient, and remember that nothing is definite. No matter how good you think your read is, people can always change their style of play.Good discussion btw.
Exactly. That's why I watch so intently the player I want a read on. I'm looking at him when he raises, when he calls, checks, when he folds, and then you take all those little pictures and try and make a Picaso-esque read.
Most sundays I have a .5/.10 uncapped NL game and it is amazing how many times I have been able to snap off bluffs based on reads alone.
Most sundays I have a .5/.10 uncapped NL game and it is amazing how many times I have been able to snap off bluffs based on reads alone.
Small stake home games are great for brushing up on read because that's usually the last thing on players minds when you raise .80 cents.It's always nice to throw a little stab at people in these games when you stack them for $1.87, lol.

My favorite tell from the less experienced players are the guys who look at the cards as they flop. If they like it they ALWAYS take a quick glance at their chips and then look back at the table or you. This has been one of the most reliable live tells I've ever heard of/read about. I see it in our home game (I try to tell the guy after the game that he's doing it so he can get better), and I've seen it in the big time tournaments...it spans all games. Look for it.

On a somewhat related note, I've noticed that almost everyone takes someone scanning their chips as a sign of legitimate strength. If someone's debating between a call and a fold, I find staring at their chips make a fold about twice as likely.

Small stake home games are great for brushing up on read because that's usually the last thing on players minds when you raise .80 cents.It's always nice to throw a little stab at people in these games when you stack them for $1.87, lol.
check no limit holdem I took $250 dollars :club:

One of the guys in my homegame will only go all in if he has a draw. If he has made his hand he will bet out usually 1/4th to 1/2 the potsize. He once pushed with a gutshot and I called with "just" an overpair. Sometimes its too easy...

My favorite tell from the less experienced players are the guys who look at the cards as they flop. If they like it they ALWAYS take a quick glance at their chips and then look back at the table or you. This has been one of the most reliable live tells I've ever heard of/read about. I see it in our home game (I try to tell the guy after the game that he's doing it so he can get better), and I've seen it in the big time tournaments...it spans all games. Look for it.
I see almost every game I play, don't you love Mike Caro?
On a somewhat related note, I've noticed that almost everyone takes someone scanning their chips as a sign of legitimate strength. If someone's debating between a call and a fold, I find staring at their chips make a fold about twice as likely.
Scanning to see how much they can win baby.
check no limit holdem I took $250 dollars :club:
I know, I should have thrown in the SW.Played a $20 rebuy at some guys house with 11 people, $500 dollar prize pool with only an hour rebuy. Gotta love loose Russians! I know .5/.10 people are buying in at least $100 greenbacks...