buddy's bankroll...

Well I have been kinda (training) one of my best friends to play poker for about the past 8 or 9 months now, but as he has learned he has grown to owe me personally a large sum of money, that i am not what worry about, but here is what i am worried about...i knew what he really needed was experience and to play alot of hands, so because i have done farely well online i get him to open up an account and transfer him a little money to get him started so that he can just play some very low limit stuff...the first day he loses that so i spot him a little more, well since that, which has been about 4 or 5 days he has done very well and built up a good bankroll for the size i expected him to be playing (he has kinda been on a hot streak, making good draw outs and stuff), well he has been playing about 4 or 5x bigger than he needs to and does not have the bankroll to do that...here is what i am wondering...1. I have told him that he shouldn't jump up too fast and get into bigger limits, but i dont think he listens to me.2. The reason i dont want him to jump up too fast is because, before long he will be off his streak and still playing the same high limits and losing. (i had to learn this the hard way, like everybody has at one time or another).3. He literally playing bigger limits than me, and i dont think he is ready.4. If he loses it all or gets on a bad streak, do i say i told you so?5. I mean i wouldnt mind him winning (so he could pay me back) but i dont think he can at this pace or limits?Any questions, comments, or concerns...

As you probably know, it is mathematically impossible for your buddy to keep his money if he continues to play 4 or 5 x's over his head. Variance is a fact of poker life, and it will gobble him up. I'm sure you have explained this to him time and time again.If he simply won't listen, then he'll just have to learn like the rest of us, I suppose. Maybe when he loses his money to variance, he'll understand the error of his ways. What's more likely, though, is that your buddy simply lacks the discipline to be a successful poker player. Naturally, I'm only basing this on your description of him owing you money, playing over his head repeatedly without heeding your advice, etc.It's obvious your buddy simply doesn't have a grasp for the basic concepts of poker and poker theory. You might want to make him read Theory of Poker by Sklansky, which explains about bankroll and natural bankroll fluctuation.At best, you should make a last ditch effort, explaining to him that he WILL lose his money (your money, rather) if he continues to play over his head. If he still refuses to listen, I don't see what more you can do.

You have got to personally get your ass handed to you, then you'll know better. It's kind of like a child, lol, think of him as your poker son. It's gonna hurt to see him lose his bankroll, but a valuable lesson will be learned..one that you can't teach, but can only be learned.

I did some more thinking about your friend, and I've got another possible scenario for you. Tell him to join our fine forum and do some posting/reading.Once people find out he's playing over his bankroll, they'll flame him into playing on his level. Also, it would do him some good to realize that you're not the only one giving this advice, so maybe it holds some merit.At the worst, when he does go broke, he'll have 100 people to say "I told you so," and then he'll not want THAT to happen again.Let me know how things are working out.

You should tell him to pay you back before he blows it all at the upper limits. You loaned it too him expecting him too learn but if he is not willing to learn you should break the deal. Let him learn the hard lesson of getting broke on his own. I personally don't like lending to friends. I had a good friend need 200 for poker and I havn't heard from him since.