Live Game Ruling Question

I was playing in a three six limit game last night and was involved in a pot were on the river its heads up and its checked to me and i bet and the other player raises, I didn't realize this I guess and flop my cards face up over the betting line with out placing the other six dollars in the pot my opponent throws his cards in face down across the line. In the end the pot was given to me and I was just wondering if this was the correct ruling.

sounds good to me, he mucked the obvious loser, you tabled the winning hand, if you flipped your hand up and he flipped his hand up and his hand was the winner, they probably would of had to call the floor over to see if you would still be responsible for the last raise.

I was playing in a three six limit game last night and was involved in a pot were on the river its heads up and its checked to me and i bet and the other player raises, I didn't realize this I guess and flop my cards face up over the betting line with out placing the other six dollars in the pot my opponent throws his cards in face down across the line. In the end the pot was given to me and I was just wondering if this was the correct ruling.
Yes. Hold on to your cards until you get the pot next time.
Based on what you said, here's what happened:• There was a raise to you.• Before you called the raise, you showed your hand which does not penalize you in a cash game, but you should receive a penalty if you do it in a tournament.• The other player realized that his hand was beat and, once he mucked his cards, his hand was dead.• Because his hand was dead, the pot was pushed to you.I once played in a cash game with a girl who knows how to play and a guy who was fairly new to the game. After the river card was dealt, there were five diamonds on the board, and the player new to the game bet about half the pot. The girl paused for about ten seconds, didn't say a word, and flipped her cards face up. The inexperienced player then flipped his cards face up. When the girl saw that he didn't have a diamond in his hole cards, and she showed that she didn't either, she called the bet for a chopped pot.This was kind of a unique strategy. I recommend not showing your hand until the dealer asks you to show it.
I once played in a cash game with a girl who knows how to play and a guy who was fairly new to the game. After the river card was dealt, there were five diamonds on the board, and the player new to the game bet about half the pot. The girl paused for about ten seconds, didn't say a word, and flipped her cards face up. The inexperienced player then flipped his cards face up. When the girl saw that he didn't have a diamond in his hole cards, and she showed that she didn't either, she called the bet for a chopped pot.This was kind of a unique strategy. I recommend not showing your hand until the dealer asks you to show it.
thats insane, lol. Talk about knowing your apponent. She knew if she flipped over hers that he would think it was good to show, lol. Anwyays, I think the only way the ruling was correct was because he put his hand in the muck. since you put your cards over the line without calling the raise, the other player/floor view that as a muck, even if you did it face up. Im almost positive if he wouldnt have mucked you woulda got the shaft on that one.
Based on what you said, here's what happened:...• The other player realized that his hand was beat...
Maybe the other player (correctly?!?) assumed that the OP had mucked his cards, since the OP did not call the raise AND he released his cards past the betting line toward the muck.Every online poker player needs to go to the Dollar Store and buy a deck of cards and learn how to protect their hand. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to rule cards dead/mucked because people release their cards or don't protect them while they are still live. 3 times during the WPT Canadian Open, including twice on the last table of 9 players, I had to rule players' cards mucked because of they did not properly protect their cards.
Maybe the other player (correctly?!?) assumed that the OP had mucked his cards, since the OP did not call the raise AND he released his cards past the betting line toward the muck.
Just to be clear, the OP didn't say that hs cards went toward the muck.OP, did the other player claim to have a winner? That is, did he interpret your premature showdown as a fold? I'm assuming that's what happened, like 13cards inferred.

yes but he said he threw them across the line meaning they are dead. if i was other guy i would have done exactly same thing. not shown my cards and thrown them to the muck since OP did that without calling the raise. technically speaking, OP lost the hand, he put his cards over the line without calling the raise, thus making his hand dead

Just to be clear, the OP didn't say that hs cards went toward the muck.
Just to be clear, the OP said "...and flop my cards face up over the betting line with out placing the other six dollars in the pot."I am pretty sure his cards didn't go "over the betting line" from the center of the table toward the edge, so I'll assume they went from the edge toward the center. Toward the center = Toward the muck. But let's not get into semantics.
...premature showdown...
Is there such a thing as a "premature showdown"?

Thanks for all the responses, I ended up back there last night and asked the floor and he said that this would be pretty much the one and only time that a mucked hand (my opponents) could be taken back because they were clearly distinguishable from the rest of the muck cards and then I should of had the option to either raise fold or call since he assumed my intention in the hand was to show down my hand which was good. Just thought that was interesting.

Just to be clear, the OP said "...and flop my cards face up over the betting line with out placing the other six dollars in the pot."I am pretty sure his cards didn't go "over the betting line" from the center of the table toward the edge, so I'll assume they went from the edge toward the center. Toward the center = Toward the muck. But let's not get into semantics.
If the muck is near seat 1, and the hero is in seat 9 or 10; it's entirely possible that his cards are now farther from the muck than they were. Even that's a pretty tough interpretation of toward the muck. I mean, wouldn't you be putting your cards closer to the muck most of the time you show cards?If the card room's rule is that cards past this line are dead, then the hand is dead. That doesn't appear to be the case here.I've known a bunch of places that have tried using a "betting line". It ends up causing a stupid ruling, and they just give it up.
Is there such a thing as a "premature showdown"?
I was just trying to draw a distinction among showing a card to get a reaction, intentionally folding, and trying to showdown the hand. The OP is trying to show the hand down.On the other hand, there's no rule against trying to be fair to your opponent. It's a classy move for the OP to ask that the villain's hand be retrieved, assuming he's not afraid of being cheated.