Playing The Shortstack

I recently played in the $1,200 NLHE event at Foxwoods. It was the largest $ tourney I have played in to date. Generally I was happy with my play. I built stack to $7K in the first two levels but in the 100-200 level I lost a tough pot (set to a rivered nut flush) to get me down to $2,200 in chips. Then these were my last three hands.UTG, I raise to $600 with AJ suited. The person to my immediate left raises to $1,600. He had a stack of about $12K from the $5k we started with. He has only showed down two hands and both times he was first in the pot and won a good pot with KK. He had re-raised me three times previously. The first time it was folded to me on the Button and I raised to $200 (25-50 blinds) with JJ, he raised to $600 and I re-raised to $1,600 and he folded. The next time I folded A-Q to his re-raise and then 9-9. After he raised this time I said to myself that I have no choice but to get it all in as I did not want to leave myself with just $1,600. However, the button took a long time before he folded. I read him as having a good Ace so if my opponent held a big pair I would be losing a critical out (of course the button could have had 10-10 or a similar pair as well) so I folded. The button said to the raiser that he made a good bet and got him to fold A-Q. The very next hand, I am in the BB and post $200. There are 5 limpers including the SB. I look down at 4-4, think for a minute and push all-in. Everyone folds and I am back to $2,600. The next hand while I am in the SB there are 5 limpers again, and I look down at 8-8. I am very confident no limper has a big hand, but if I push I might get called by K-J and better (which would be fine with me). I consider a raise, but with $1,300 in the pot, there is no raise that I could make and then get away from the hand so I push. The BB takes his time and smooth calls me (OOPS!). Everyone else folds and he turns over KK (again) and I go home. My questions are?1) Should I have called the re-raise with AJ suited?2) Should I have folded that hand from UTG in the first place.3) Was my play from the BB with 4-4 too risky or my only option?4) Given all the limpers when I was in the SB was my all-in with 8-8 the right play? If I raised to $1,200 and the BB came over the top, I would have to call and would have done so instantly I appreciate any thoughts you may have

1. You're getting 1.9-1 on the call but there's a good chance that you're crushed based on villain's previous play. Folding leaves you with an M>5 with the blinds about to hit you. I'd fold here2. With an M of 7, I think that I would fold AJs from UTG at a full table as there are just too many players to dodge - from MP on, I would raise.3. You're giving 1.8-1 odds to the first player to call your all-in but you're also able to check and take a free look to hit your set with five other players already in. Pushing is fine4. Pushing is fine there - you have less FE because of your push in the hand right before but the other option is to be more passive and just call to see if you hit your set.

1. I would fold AJ here. Limping invites someone to raise, and open raising UTG is just bad news at a full table.2. Obviously, I advocate for a fold of AJ here.3. You need chips. If you think that everyone is going to fold, then pushing is fine. You can always just check and hope to hit a set. That way, you can either make a lot of money or lose no money since you get to see a flop for free. Either one seems reasonable.4. This is pretty straight forward. All of those limpers and your hand can win against one opponent without improving (pocket 4s, much less so) so I think pushing is right. It is unfortunate that the BB had a hand, but that happens. That's why you get nothing in most tournies that you enter.

These are the kinds of situations where limps and minraises need to part of your arsenal. I limp or fold the AJ preflop. There is too much chance that somebody is raising behind to commit a lot of chips when you cant call. 44 I limp.88 I minraise.